Prospect Info: 2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | SIGNED! ELC Starts 2021-2022 Season | Signs ATO With Bako!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I always thought that Holland's M.O. was letting the prospects "over-ripen", as in keeping them out of the NHL longer rather than pushing them onto the team immediately.

And there's a consideration too about balancing what is best for the player long-term vs what is best for the organization short-term. Holloway might be better than a lot of what we already have on the roster, but we also want to make sure that he develops in a way that makes good on his potential, without having him cut corners just to be able to tread water in the league as a teenager.
Isn't this mainly due to him almost never having high draft picks? Going way back I don't think Detroit ever selected more than a handful of players in the first round, and hardly any in the top 15. I believe their top 15 picks are Larkin, Rasmussen and Zadina, Larkin and Rasmussen got to play in the NHL in their draft+1 seasons while Zadina got a taste already in his draft+0 season.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Click the link and give Peters some support on his new venture. A small portion of his piece on Holloway:

What I’ve personally noticed is that Holloway has tacked on the necessary strength to become a more explosive player. The experience he’s gained allows him to play at the appropriate pace. He’s pushing play instead of being behind it. When the puck is on his stick, he’s a threat to create a scoring chance. He no longer has the difficulty of getting to the middle of the ice to make plays and his vision has been on point.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Click the link and give Peters some support on his new venture. A small portion of his piece on Holloway:

This is a pretty good read and I enjoyed the analysis regarding the draft.

Notice how the agents jump in and start talking about labor law-- and of course --cash.

2 NHL drafts in the summer of 2022? That would be interesting.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016

giphy (30).gif

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
This is a pretty good read and I enjoyed the analysis regarding the draft.

Notice how the agents jump in and start talking about labor law-- and of course --cash.

I wonder how it would affect trades at the draft.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I don't know why they'd need to do this. Most of the prospects are playing (the WJC was played as well) and the few that haven't will in the next month. Is this much different than the 2020 draft which had all their seasons cancelled before the end of the regular season?

Reading that article, one of the scouts made a good point. Is this any different than scouting prospects that are injured and miss time? Yeah their reason for missing time is different than a pandemic but same basis for having a smaller sample size of game action to scout.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I don't know why they'd need to do this. Most of the prospects are playing (the WJC was played as well) and the few that haven't will in the next month. Is this much different than the 2020 draft which had all their seasons cancelled before the end of the regular season?

Reading that article, one of the scouts made a good point. Is this any different than scouting prospects that are injured and miss time? Yeah their reason for missing time is different than a pandemic but same basis for having a smaller sample size of game action to scout.

I think that's what makes the article so interesting--the multiple viewpoints on the problem.

I think in the end the players will have their way and they won't want to miss out on a year of potential professional salaries but of course it's just a guess.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
For some reason I thought Holloway was a freshman. I would have bet on it. Last year was a weird year. Oh well, nice goal tonight.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That hit looked like it hit him high chest.

5 minute major for interference.

I dont think thats a 5 minute major worthy interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad