Prospect Info: 2020 Draft #111 - Mitchell Miller (RHD) [Mod Warning post #312]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
We all did crap at that age that we wish did not happened and would like to take back. I'm getting sick and tired of all these "holier than thou" posters. Kids do grow and change. We aren't talking about an adult here.

No. We're talking about a kid who spent years bullying a developmentally disabled black kid and, when he finally got sent to a judge for feeding him a Push Pop that he'd dipped in a used urinal, absolutely did not feel bad about it.

That goes well beyond the typical terrible teenager behavior. That's wanton cruelty and borderline sociopathy. So yeah, spare me the "holier than thou" crap. The last thing this franchise needs is a poster boy for the asshole set on their roster.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I was old enough at 14 to realize that I was making a mistake. There are lines you just know not to cross.

2nd grade? Sure, I'll give you that. Still a developing child. 14 years old? nah, he's just an asshole.
And yet you still made them. All part of growing up.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I didn't say that did I?
Well, we all did dumb stuff when we were younger. Some of it criminal. Some of it just stupid. Some of it devoid of empathy for others.
But you know what we didn't do? Bully the intellectually disabled kid that way.

I don't think it was "boys being boys" when you cross certain lines. That should be a line.

I mean it was, all of two or three years ago. Maybe he's an entirely new person.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Calling it now this kid doesn’t last in the system for more than a year. He’ll be sent somewhere by BA for a pick in next years draft. I have no hope for this pick to turn into an NHL player for the Coyotes.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
This is such a bad look the guy responsible should be fired. This is just not ok. How on earth was this guy left on the draft list? Don't give me some bullsh*t about him being a kid and not understanding what he did and he's all remorseful and more understanding now.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
No. We're talking about a kid who spent years bullying a developmentally disabled black kid and, when he finally got sent to a judge for feeding him a Push Pop that he'd dipped in a used urinal, absolutely did not feel bad about it.

That goes well beyond the typical terrible teenager behavior. That's wanton cruelty and borderline sociopathy. So yeah, spare me the "holier than thou" crap. The last thing this franchise needs is a poster boy for the asshole set on their roster.

This is on point. Just incredible lack of judgement by whomever that let this happen.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This is such a bad look the guy responsible should be fired. This is just not ok. How on earth was this guy left on the draft list? Don't give me some bullsh*t about him being a kid and not understanding what he did and he's all remorseful and more understanding now.
He'd personally be on my don't draft list. I think I could stomach it a lot better if he was the seventh round pick. The optics of the fact you take him with your very first pick in the draft like you were worried he wouldn't slide 30 spots is half of what is terrible about this.
Sixth or seventh round pick, it's easier to sell me on "Hey, he slid way down draft lists because of red flags, but we're convinced he's had his come to Jesus meeting. He's got enough talent we feel he is worth taking a shot on."

First guy out of the gate? You wanted him that f'ing bad? You're willing to put your logo on his chest and name next to his name with that pick? There's that much talent between him and all the other guys on your list? Because the numbers don't show it.

I'm going to stop bitching about it now, because it's done.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I want that clown who drafted him fired. The new guys were supposed to be professionals creating a new culture for our franchise. And they bring in a sociopath bully the first thing they do? Disgusting. It's irrelevant what round they pick him in. He should not be anywhere near this franchise.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The Coyotes know more about this than we do. And they actually have skin in the game. I’m not worried about the kid. I’m worried about the look. Them making this decision makes me feel fine about the kid, but it makes me really worried about them.

Reactions: Summer Rose

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Imagine if this was a final f*** You by Hofford. He moved the kid from the DND list to spot 39 on the list. No one left analyzing the list had met the kid or had the background. Hofford ditched all those notes. Or replaced them with phony notes.

They don't have to robotically follow Hofford's list.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
They don't have to robotically follow Hofford's list.
Nope. But Sullivan was busy in Tucson and Jankowski wasn’t NHL affiliated. So I would guess they included the list in their decision making. If he was REALLY high and the behaviors issues were omitted, I could see it. It’s the 4th round. Stakes are low (or should have been).

I don’t believe this happened. Just a fun conspiracy theory. Fun because it’s mildly (3%) plausible.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Imagine if this was a final f*** You by Hofford. He moved the kid from the DND list to spot 39 on the list. No one left analyzing the list had met the kid or had the background. Hofford ditched all those notes. Or replaced them with phony notes.

The worse case is that the brain trust looked at the kid's history and actively didn't care because it doesn't apply to his hockey game. That it didn't matter in the grand scheme.

That would be supremely more awful. And, unfortunately, supremely more believable.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He'd personally be on my don't draft list. I think I could stomach it a lot better if he was the seventh round pick. The optics of the fact you take him with your very first pick in the draft like you were worried he wouldn't slide 30 spots is half of what is terrible about this.
Sixth or seventh round pick, it's easier to sell me on "Hey, he slid way down draft lists because of red flags, but we're convinced he's had his come to Jesus meeting. He's got enough talent we feel he is worth taking a shot on."

First guy out of the gate? You wanted him that f'ing bad? You're willing to put your logo on his chest and name next to his name with that pick? There's that much talent between him and all the other guys on your list? Because the numbers don't show it.

I'm going to stop bitching about it now, because it's done.

I want that clown who drafted him fired. The new guys were supposed to be professionals creating a new culture for our franchise. And they bring in a sociopath bully the first thing they do? Disgusting. It's irrelevant what round they pick him in. He should not be anywhere near this franchise.
The chances of any players we selected in this draft play in the NHL is almost zero, but if this young gentlemen turns into a Viktor Arvidson you guys will be saying what a saint he is, turned his life around blah blah blah. Remember the crap Tony D went through? And he was picked in the first round by Tampa Bay no less. Love to have him on the Yotes today.

Reactions: Heldig

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm thinking more that they knew and didn't care and actually had him pretty high on the list. But similar scenario where a guy like Sullivan would have no clue about this kind of background if it isn't documented in the notes somewhere.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'll wait until they are given a chance to comment before freaking out. It's going to come up. Might have met the kid and he had his come to jesus moment for all we know.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The chances of any players we selected in this draft play in the NHL is almost zero, but if this young gentlemen turns into a Viktor Arvidson you guys will be saying what a saint he is, turned his life around blah blah blah.

That says volumes about what you think of our ethics. For my part, if he turned into Connor McDavid but still showed no remorse for what he did, I'd want him off the team. Some things are bigger than hockey.

Remember the crap Tony D went through? And he was picked in the first round by Tampa Bay no less. Love to have him on the Yotes today.

Yeah, I remember. He's an unrepentant POS too. And I don't want this team coming within a mile of him again even if he wins a dozen straight Norris Trophies.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
The Coyotes know more about this than we do. And they actually have skin in the game. I’m not worried about the kid. I’m worried about the look. Them making this decision makes me feel fine about the kid, but it makes me really worried about them.

I don't care about the kid or his hockey talent. I find the lack of judgement drafting him appalling. What's next, rapists? Aren't they capable of seeing that this is just not ok? Why would they want a guy like that in the Coyotes locker room? Why would they want a guy like that on the ice cheered by thousands of fans? Do they want to sell a feel good story about the reformed character?

There are some actions that simply cannot be swept away and pretend they do not exist. If this guy makes it to the NHL are you ok with him in a Coyotes sweater? Would you be a proud supporter? Role model for your kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad