Horse Racing: 2020 conclusion: $323,000 (Santa Anita) and $106,000 (Aqueduct) Pick 6 hit on New Year's Eve

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Will Rogers Downs (Oklahoma):
  • Handle: Over $7 million bet.
Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Tampa Bay (Florida):
  • Race 2: 14-to-1, 39-to-1, 21-to-1 and 100-to-1 led to a $.10 super worth over $4,000. The 2-to-5 favorite finished last in a field of 10.
  • Race 3: The 1-to-9 shot finished fifth.
  • Race 5: The $.50 Pick 5 paid over $31,000. Over a million dollars was bet into the race.
  • Race 6: 6-to-1, 61-to-1, 44-to-1 and 11-1 comprised a $.10 super worth over $2,300. The only first time starter in the race, one of my favorite angles, was the victor.
  • Race 7: The $1 Super High 5 paid over $39,000.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Thursday, May 14, 2020
  • Pennsylvania: This is a bad vibe. Be prepared. There is much concern right now among horsemen and their careers. And today it was announced that the Penn Mile and Oaks have been canceled.
  • Iowa: The track announced it will remain closed despite the Governor giving the track permission to race.
  • Ohio: Harness tracks Scioto Downs and Northfield Park and T-bred tracks Belterra Park and Thistledown will open their facilities on May 16 for training and racing may resume on May 22.
Charles Town (West Virginia):
  • Re-opening day: The track re-opened under the lights. It had closed on March 24. Racing extends into December normally. Night time racing in West Virginia is dedication. Good luck to all, especially those who work this extensive circuit.
  • Handle: $4.3 million bet which is the fifth highest total in the track's 87-year history. Only four Charles Town Classic cards were higher.
Gulfstream (Florida):
  • Race 6: A 26-to-1 and 40-to-1 topped a $2 exacta worth $1386. Both horses are trained by recent Hall of Fame inductee Mark Casse. How often does a Hall of Fame trainer pay out with $1300+ exactas? Allow me to quote Vin Scully for a moment "I don't believe what I just saw!"

• Race 10: Over $2.3 million bet into the finale.
  • Timothy Hamm is not a Gulfstream regular as he trains in various spots including Ohio. He did fairly well today going 2 2-0-0. The trainer is 5 2-1-0 this meet.
Golden Gate (California):
  • Re-opening day: Today marked the re-opening day of the current meet which concludes on June 14. The track last raced March 29.
  • Race 9: Over $2 million was bet into the Pick 6 jackpot. More than $3,000,000 was bet into the finale.
  • Handle: Over $8.7 million bet on nine races.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Santa Anita's cards for Friday and Saturday.

Friday:
Race #PurseRace TypeDistanceSurfaceStartersEst. Post
Race 1$51,000Allowance Optional Claiming5 1/2 FurlongsTurf1112:30 PM
Race 2$28,000Maiden Claiming5 1/2 FurlongsDirt141:00 PM
Race 3$51,000Allowance Optional Claiming5 1/2 FurlongsDirt91:30 PM
Race 4$17,000Maiden Claiming6 FurlongsDirt102:00 PM
Race 5$51,000Allowance Optional Claiming1 MileTurf112:30 PM
Race 6$29,000Claiming6 FurlongsDirt93:00 PM
Race 7$17,000Maiden Claiming6 FurlongsDirt103:30 PM
Race 8$51,000Allowance Optional Claiming1 MileTurf114:00 PM
Race 9$50,000Maiden Special Weight5 1/2 FurlongsDirt124:30 PM
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Saturday:
Race #PurseRace TypeDistanceSurfaceStartersEst. Post
Race 1$17,000Maiden Claiming6 FurlongsDirt1412:30 PM
Race 2$51,000Allowance Optional Claiming5 1/2 FurlongsDirt81:02 PM
Race 3$50,000Maiden Special Weight5 1/2 FurlongsTurf141:33 PM
Race 4$56,000Allowance Optional Claiming1 MileDirt62:04 PM
Race 5$22,000Claiming1 MileTurf92:35 PM
Race 6$150,000Echo Eddie S.6 FurlongsDirt93:06 PM
Race 7$53,000Allowance Optional Claiming1 MileTurf73:37 PM
Race 8$150,000Evening Jewel S.6 FurlongsDirt104:08 PM
Race 9$50,000Maiden Special Weight1 MileTurf144:38 PM
Race 10$28,000Maiden Claiming5 1/2 FurlongsDirt145:08 PM
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
hearing now that Preakness date will be announced on Saturday on NBCSN/TVG

The NBC one-hour broadcast from 5-6 pm ET is now confirmed. NBCSN will show racing beginning at 6 pm. The announcement on NBC will be followed by more festivities with an online stream. The annual infield party at the Preakness is obviously postponed but Maryland is going all out.

One of the websites mentioned Bob Baffert's Silver Charm. Truly, 1997 was one of the best Triple Crown years of all-time. Looking back at that race and what happened in the Derby, too, if Captain Bodgit ever won this Preakness -- he was a Florida-bred but adopted Maryland native -- it would have been one of the top moments in the history of Maryland sports.

==============================

1/ST Preakness At Home: Livestream Event To Include Full-Scale Drive-In Concert - Horse Racing News | Paulick Report

The spirit of the legendary Preakness Stakes will be celebrated in unique fashion this year with the 1/ST Preakness At Home livestream event featuring a look back at the fun, festivities and world-class Thoroughbred racing of Preakness past. The one-hour show, hosted by NBC Sports' Laffit Pincay III and XBTV's Zoe Cadman, will air on Saturday, May 16th at 6 p.m. ET on Facebook.com/Preakness.

The livestream event will feature appearances by some of racing's biggest stars including, Hall of Fame trainer and seven-time Preakness winner Bob Baffert and Triple Crown winning jockey Mike Smith along with special messages from Maryland's own baseball royalty, Cal Ripken Jr. and Jim Palmer. The livestream will include behind the scenes footage, never before seen content and a mashup of some of the best musical performances from previous InfieldFest concerts along with a special performance by the Naval Academy Glee Club.

“The 1/ST Preakness At Home represents our company's vision to expand and deliver unique entertainment and horse racing content to a new and wider audience,” said Belinda Stronach, 1/ST Chairman and President. “The coronavirus pandemic changed the Preakness celebrations this year, but it gave us the opportunity to enhance an already incredible event and to imagine what new traditions could be incorporated into the Preakness of the future. We look forward to being back at Pimlico when it is safe to do so.”

The 1/ST Preakness At Home will follow NBC's nationally televised broadcast, The Middle Jewel: American Pharoah's Run to the Triple Crown, airing on May 16th at 5 p.m. ET. NBC Sports' Mike Tirico will open the show and will host a segment in which Belinda Stronach, 1/ST Chairman and President and Maryland Governor Larry Hogan will announce the new date for Preakness 145 at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Maryland. The Preakness Stakes, typically held on the third Saturday in May, was postponed in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.​

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
@Preds Partisan
@Cyclones Rock

Kentucky racing seems to be working this racing schedule nicely. The latest buzz is Keeneland and Ellis Park are discussing summer dates which I referenced in the past (post #2). Presently, Ellis is the lone facility operating in July but Keeneland would like to be permitted to race since their spring meet was nixed.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Television schedule for May 15-17
Friday, May 15
  • 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN
Saturday, May 16
  • 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. ET on Fox Sports 2
  • 2:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET on Fox Sports 1
  • 6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET on Fox Sports 2
  • 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN
Sunday. May 17
  • 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. ET on Fox Sports 2
  • 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET on Fox Sports 1
  • 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN
This weekend's telecast schedule from Churchill Downs is as follows:
Saturday, May 16
1:00 – 2:30 p.m. (FS2)
2:30 – 6:00 p.m. (FS1)
6:00 – 6:30 p.m. (FS2)
Sunday, May 17
1:00 – 2:00 p.m. (FS2)
2:00 – 6:00 p.m. (FS1)
6:00 – 6:30 p.m. (FS2)
Read more at the Daily Racing Form.
HOW TO WATCH FS1/FS2
FS1
· Spectrum: Ch. 71 (Spectrum Select, Spectrum Silver and Spectrum Gold packages)
· DirecTV: Ch. 219 (Entertainment, Choice, Xtra, Ultimate and Premier packages)
· DISH: Ch. 150 (America's Top 250, America's Top 200, America's Top 120 Plus and America's Top 120 packages)
· AT&T U-Verse: Ch. 652 (U200, U300 and U450 packages)
· Streaming services: Hulu, Sling (Blue or Orange+Blue) and YouTube TV
FS2
· Spectrum: Ch. 552 (Spectrum Silver and Spectrum Gold packages)
· DirecTV: Ch. 618 (Xtra, Ultimate and Premier packages)
· DISH: Ch. 149 (America's Top 250, America's Top 200 and America's Top 120 Plus packages)
· AT&T U-Verse: Ch. 651 (U200, U300 and U450 packages)
· Streaming services: Hulu and YouTube TV

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Four tidbits:
  • Tampa Bay Downs has applied for 8 additional days of racing, Mondays June 1,8,15 and 22 and Wednesdays, June 3,10, 17 and 24 in addition to its already previously scheduled racing dates on June 30 and July 1. (source: Mike Welsch, DRF)
  • The lawsuit at Belmont Park to prevent construction of the project including the hockey arena and a hotel was tossed.
  • Charles Town did over $4 million last night, the fifth highest total in its 87-year history and the four that were higher were prior Charles Town Classic cards.
  • Maryland is now looking at May 22 as a target date to resume operations. Horsemen on board, awaiting decision. Tomorrow will be the announcement of the 2020 Preakness Stakes date.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Friday, May 15, 2020

Tampa Bay Downs (Florida):
  • Handle: Over $6.4 million bet on the track today.
  • Raul Mena rode three winners including two for trainer Dale Bennett who was a perfect 3 3-0-0 today. The trainer entered today with eight wins in 2020. Bennett is the son of Canadian-born and Tampa Bay legend Gerald Bennett. The younger Bennett held the aspirations to play in the NHL some day.
  • Race 2: A romp by 9 1/2 lengths. Winning trainer Joe Minieri won for the second time with his 23rd start this year. A former Suffolk Downs trainer who won his first race there in 2012.
  • Race 3: A romp by 8 lengths.
Gulfstream Park (Florida):
  • Conditions: Rain, rain and extra sloppy.
  • Miguel Vasquez won three times including a dead heat.
  • Race 1: Angel Rodriguez, a 5% jockey this year, won the opener. Louis Roussel, who has been training for over 50 years since 1967 and is best known for 1988 Preakness and Belmont Stakes winner Risen Star, was the winning conditioner with his first ever starter at the track. The Cajun doesn't run many horses at Gulf and this was his first runner outside of Louisiana or Illinois since July 2018 at Ellis Park (Kentucky).
  • Race 2: Benny Cadahia trained a winner for the second time this year in 31 starts.
  • Race 6: A dead heat for victory.
  • Race 10: Tonalist's Shape (Irad Ortiz, Jr./Saffie Joseph) won the $75,000 Hollywood Wildcat Stakes. The 3-year-old filly is 7 6-1-0 lifetime. Among her wins, five in a row to begin her career, were Grade 2 and Grade 3 victories. She could be a candidate for the Kentucky Oaks.
  • Race 11: The Big Joker (Emisael Jaramillo/Georgina Baxter), a 5-year-old with just two lifetime starts, won his third start off a 29-month layoff. Yup, last time out was December 2017.
Golden Gate Fields (California):
  • Race 1: Kent Desormeaux, Hall of Fame rider, was the winning jockey. He is the 18th all-time winningest jockey in North America history.
  • Race 3: Juan Hernandez, winning rider, was making a move among the nation's leaders before Golden Gate stopped racing a few weeks ago. While Luis Saez and Irad Ortiz, Jr. are easily 1-2 in wins this year, Hernandez is fighting others for third place.
Santa Anita (California):
  • Re-opening day: The track opened for business for the first time since March 27.
  • Handle: Over $11 million wagered.
  • Card: Nine races, 97 horses entered.
  • Race 1: Flavien Prat rode the winner for Peter Miller, the latter who finished second as well.
  • Race 3: Two if the longest shots topped the ticket at 20-1 and 24-1.
  • Race 4: The $2 double was $768.40.
  • Race 5: A delay due to a busted door on the #3 at the starting gate. There was a gap between the 2 and 3 after the makeover. Tracks have backup gates for such purposes. The $.50 Pick 5 paid over $44,000.
  • Race 7: The lone first time starter paid $9.20 to show.
  • Race 9: Over $2 million bet in the Pick 6 which paid $19k to all winners.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

As of last night (5/14), the Turfway Park sign is history. Everything in the middle of the building at the level of the top of the stairway was gone.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

As of last night (5/14), the Turfway Park sign is history. Everything in the middle of the building at the level of the top of the stairway was gone.

The raised words TURFWAY PARK appear to be something of architectural design of the past. I always had an affinity for that style. Is that gone for good?

The old Flamingo in Las Vegas has the exposed letters. Coppertone, a famous welcome sign to Miami had one.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Explore | American Sign Museum

Signs? You say you like signs? American Sign Museum is located in Cincinnati.
I will look into the link later but yes certain styles especially large letters.

Where is the place located?

Earlier I mentioned Louie Roussel's win in the Gulf opener and how it was a rarity to see him at the track. Well it is now confirmed that was his first starter ever and he has been training since 1967.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The raised words TURFWAY PARK appear to be something of architectural design of the past. I always had an affinity for that style. Is that gone for good?

The old Flamingo in Las Vegas has the exposed letters. Coppertone, a famous welcome sign to Miami had one.
Can I buy memorabilia from Turfway before it's torn down?
Historical items and photos have been stored and are not available.
The blue seats from the grandstand are the property of the demolition company and are available on Facebook Marketplace. Please note the seats must be picked up at the demolition company in Cincinnati. The public is not permitted on Turfway property.

Welcome :: Turfway Park

I'm glad to have seen this. Based on a previous statement made on the website, nothing would be for sale to the public. There also hadn't been an indication that some items of historical significance would be saved. That said, I don't know if the lettering was saved.

The Greater Cincinnati Airport is right next to Turfway. Those bold block letters served notice of the beginning or end of a trip to me. I hope they got preserved.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Ruidoso Downs (New Mexico) kicks on Friday. The first two cards will have a remarkable 277 entries and 28 races which are all trials for June 7 and the $1,000,000 race for QH supremacy.

By the end of this weekend, it appears almost all jurisdictions have a plan in place to race except New York, Pennsylvania (exception Erie), Iowa and the perpetual nightmare that is Illinois. That blight needs to fixed, too much negative chatter associated there.

New York is obviously waiting for Maryland's announcement today among its other ongoing issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
[QUOTE="MiamiScreamingEagles, post: 172108980, member: 15336"
By the end of this weekend, it appears almost all jurisdictions have a plan in place to race except New York, Pennsylvania (exception Erie), Iowa and the perpetual nightmare that is Illinois. That blight needs to fixed, too much negative chatter associated there.
I am very unfamiliar with what is going on in Illinois. I'll look back on previous threads as I know you and Preds Partisan have had many posts on this. I've noticed the purses and quality have deteriorated badly over the years. Fairmont Park shippers have very good chances to win at Arlington and Hawthorne if properly placed. That was very rarely the case not that long ago.

Arlington was the first race track I ever went to. A dear, long departed relative took me there. I think that I was around 10 years old. It's all his fault.:laugh:

I am pumped up about betting Churchill Downs today.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I am very unfamiliar with what is going on in Illinois. I'll look back on previous threads as I know you and Preds Partisan have had many posts on this. I've noticed the purses and quality have deteriorated badly over the years. Fairmont Park shippers have very good chances to win at Arlington and Hawthorne if properly placed. That was very rarely the case not that long ago.

Arlington was the first race track I ever went to. A dear, long departed relative took me there. I think that I was around 10 years old. It's all his fault.:laugh:

I am pumped up about betting Churchill Downs today.
I will reply in full later. Good luck with CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad