• PSG

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Choupo Moting over Icardi :lol: :devdance:
Were you laughing this much when he scored against Atalanta? Given some of the chances stopped/missed from Mbappe, Lewa and co. this game I doubt Icardi makes a difference and maybe he doesn’t get that chance at all. Tuchel sees them training and probably had a reason for it.

Reactions: koyvoo

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I'm sad for Thiago Silva. IMO the best CB of his generation. It would have been great to see him finish on this trophy as a captain.
Wasn't meant to be.

I'm not looking for an argument here, and depends what you mean by generation, if we're going with a few years apart... Then it's Ramos.

But, it's just an opinion.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm not looking for an argument here, and depends what you mean by generation, if we're going with a few years apart... Then it's Ramos.

But, it's just an opinion.
Different characters but IMO Silva was just always good. Ramos is highly overrated because of his goals and red cards but made so many bad defensive plays.
Thiago never was dirty, never was a scorer but a perfect CB.

Reactions: les Habs

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
All the players mocking PSG for losing is pretty amusing (there seem to be quite a few compared to normal banter).

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Different characters but IMO Silva was just always good. Ramos is highly overrated because of his goals and red cards but made so many bad defensive plays.
Thiago never was dirty, never was a scorer but a perfect CB.

I've watched Ramos his whole career, mostly on teams I loved to hate (Spain 08-12, Madrid pre-Zidane).
There's a reason Madrid's defense falls apart without him - he's an absolute beast. And both him and Varane have been asked to do an almost unfair task for 6 years, no team played fullbacks like Carvajal and Marcelo so high up the pitch, no team left so much space behind them - but no team had Ramos and Varane.

And I don't really take his goals into consideration when rating him as a defender. Sure, he was huge in the CL against Bayern and Atleti, and they were legendary goals - but if someone else scores the goals and Madrid still win, his (Ramos') legacy remains the same.

He's dirty at times, the Suarez of defenders if you want, he gets booked a lot (sometimes even on reputation), but no CB was THAT important to teams that won THAT many trophies in the last 30 years.

IMO, he's in the Maldini-tier of defenders, one of the best ever.

I do agree Thiago Silva's had a fantastic career and was/is a wonderful player - I just think Ramos, and Ramos' accomplishments, are better.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

member 305909

In a Cup-format we don't always get the best two teams in the final but I think this year we did.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Were you laughing this much when he scored against Atalanta? Given some of the chances stopped/missed from Mbappe, Lewa and co. this game I doubt Icardi makes a difference and maybe he doesn’t get that chance at all. Tuchel sees them training and probably had a reason for it.

You completely missed my point. I'm having a BLAST that Icardi didn't play semi and final at all. f*** him and that dirtbag of Wanda LMAO. Besides, who the f***ing cares about Atalanta lol

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
You completely missed my point. I'm having a BLAST that Icardi didn't play semi and final at all. f*** him and that dirtbag of Wanda LMAO. Besides, who the f***ing cares about Atalanta lol

I felt sorry for Atalanta. Their best (or second best) offensive player was taken out by a domestic situation and/or COVID-19 depression, and they were absolutely dead on their feet by the time Serie A ended (they played a game every 4 days, while PSG came in fresh with two Cup finals as preparation matches).

Mind you, I also think Gasperini messed up the subs, AND the strats. Bringing on Muriel for Pasalic made no sense, and instead of parking the bus in the last 15 mins, they still kept a high line - just now without any pressure on the ball. It was weird and a bit sad, seeing them try to play "their" football, but their legs simply not being there.

Also, that city has suffered so much during the corona, I was rooting for them.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
It was a really fun match yesterday, I really enjoyed it. Tight and even and could've gone the complete other way, IMO, if not for some iffy finishing and wonderful goalkeeping. Neuer was very, very easily MOTM for me, zero question at all. Bayern yet again manage to evade a reckoning over their suicidal high line because of poor finishing and incredible goalkeeping. Until the Bayern goal PSG definitely had the better chances, and more of them too - I genuinely can't believe Mbappe fired that one straight at Neuer on the stroke of halftime. Bayern's goal took a lot of the sting out of it, and one thing I was really struck/disappointed by was how PSG really crumbled after it. While before it they had done some really good counter-attacking football, exposing that defensive line, they suddenly looked sapped for ideas and just tried to get it to Neymar or Mbappe to see what individual magic they could come up with. I've been impressed in the past little bit by PSG starting to look like a team and not a sum of individuals, and it was a shame to see them go back to base instincts when down 1-0. I also truly can't understand why Tuchel swapped Mbappe over onto the right midway through, nor why he played him wide and Neymar centrally from the off. Mbappe vs. Boateng/Sule was such an obvious matchup to me, and yet it wasn't made.

Overall, I was happy with the game, which I had high expectations going into. A couple players for whom I had low/mid expectations really impressed me (Ander Herrera, looking at you!!!), and I'm impressed that a fairly bold move by Flick in replacing Perisic for Coman really did pay off. What can be said about Davies that hasn't already? All I can add is that it was super irritating when DAZN commentators kept saying that "he's doing it for all of Canada," as if this Canadian right here would ever in a million f***ing years root for Bayern. Alaba was really good as well. Thiago Silva is still a top centre back, and I'm really really hoping that Chelsea push the deal for him over the line.

Reactions: Peen and Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
While it wasn't as poor as last year's final, the game didn't really deserve the internet-related faff I ended up having to go through to watch it.

Curious to reflect that the final 30 minutes of the even first half generated more goalscoring opportunities for both sides than the final 30 minutes of the second half, when one team had to score - even allowing for PSG reeling during that two or three minute spell after Coman's goal.

I thought Bayern deserving winners in the end, but had you told me before the game they'd survive giving Neymar and Mbappe the chances they did, I'd have been surprised. PSG plainly missed a fully-fit Verratti - well organised as their midfield was defensively, they needed someone to link up play better with their front three.

Mbappe's miss will attract the attention, but there were other moments when his decision-making was surprisingly iffy. I think he could have done a better job drawing the defence in the counter that led to Choupo-Moting's late chance. And his first half, dead straight run that hindered Neymar as the latter broke upfield on a counter was flat-out inept. His youth gives him plenty of scope to improve his already formidable game, but even so it's startling to see a strikeforce that cost roughly 400 million euros fail to demonstrate an understanding at such vital moments.

As for Neymar, flashes of danger in the biggest game of all really aren't enough for that price or his own apparent conception of what his standing should be. Right now, it's tempting to say that in his transfer deal everyone involved was a loser apart from the agents. He's not a personality I like, but the overall spectacle last night suffered for his failure to hit peak form. Di Maria seemed to have a clearer idea of what he needed to be doing than the other two - although that may simply mean his brief was easier: target Davies, which he did quite impressively, I thought. As for the CANADIAN from CANADA (whether I'm compelled to do that, I'm unsure, but it feels as though I am), if he struggled at times, he never appeared to let his head drop.

I'd agree with those who criticise Tuchel's decision-making - perhaps that played into Neymar and Mbappe not being at their best, and if he really couldn't think of a midfielder deserving to be replaced by Icardi, why didn't he just sub Kehrer? A gaping hole at right back would arguably have been less conspicuously detrimental to the team.

After his remarkable achievements this season, it'll be fascinating to see whether Flick ends up as a late-blooming Bob Paisley figure, thrust into the spotlight almost by accident, but seizing his chance and not letting go until he wrings Europe dry. Not that it matters, but something about his tanned appearance suggested to me a prosperous takeaway owner.

Reactions: Corto

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Very late to the party as I was busy all weekend, but WOOOO!

With no Olympics this year Sunday's tilt may well be the most-watched sporting event in the world in 2020. Would have been even better with fans, but the emotion on both sides post-match said it all.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
A few more comments:

Can't help but be happy for Robert Lewandowski, an unassuming superstar who has always lived in the shadow of the more celebrated forwards of his generation, but who has finally reached the pinnacle of his sport - at least at the club level.

Shame that there's no Balloon d'Or award this year (see above)

PSG really missed a healthy Verratti, but they could have used Icardi and Meunier in this match as well.

Neymar still has some/a lot of maturing to do.

Flick outcoached Tuchel

Boatang's injury and Alaba's subpar performance really forced Bayern to abandon the kind of attractive football that got them to the finals, but full credit to them for executing their 'Plan B' well enough in the 2nd half to get the result that they fully deserved.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I've watched Ramos his whole career, mostly on teams I loved to hate (Spain 08-12, Madrid pre-Zidane).
There's a reason Madrid's defense falls apart without him - he's an absolute beast. And both him and Varane have been asked to do an almost unfair task for 6 years, no team played fullbacks like Carvajal and Marcelo so high up the pitch, no team left so much space behind them - but no team had Ramos and Varane.

And I don't really take his goals into consideration when rating him as a defender. Sure, he was huge in the CL against Bayern and Atleti, and they were legendary goals - but if someone else scores the goals and Madrid still win, his (Ramos') legacy remains the same.

He's dirty at times, the Suarez of defenders if you want, he gets booked a lot (sometimes even on reputation), but no CB was THAT important to teams that won THAT many trophies in the last 30 years.

IMO, he's in the Maldini-tier of defenders, one of the best ever.

I do agree Thiago Silva's had a fantastic career and was/is a wonderful player - I just think Ramos, and Ramos' accomplishments, are better.

You must be getting paid for this sort of stuff. I'm sure you could get a high paying job between now and November where you could write the same things but just about politics instead.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Henry on Davies-

13497E46-06F3-4D4A-AC24-36A4EB89F28C.jpeg

Reactions: robertmac43

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Not that it matters, but something about his tanned appearance suggested to me a prosperous takeaway owner.

I honestly laugh out loud every time the camera shows him because of how little he somehow looks like a football coach. It looks like the team is being coached by one of the players' dads. Definitely looks like a guy who gets a lot of time in at the golf course

Reactions: Stray Wasp

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think @Savant had mentioned this guy before, but apparently Melkamu Frauendorf has officially signed for Liverpool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad