2020 Around the League: Offseason Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Avs are basically one big move away from being a perennial cup favourite. If there was ever a team that could trade their next two 1st round picks for another star forward, it's Colorado. Their core is still super young and they still have Byram in their pipelines.

I'd probably package Kadri, 2021 and 2022 1sts and any prospect not named Byram for the absolute best center I can find still in his mid-20's.
Godfather offer to Tampa for Stamkos?

Or to Winnipeg for Laine?

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Godfather offer to Tampa for Stamkos?

Or to Winnipeg for Laine?

Maybe Stamkos, but I've never thought of him as a natural center, and I'm not sure that TB would be too thrilled to trade him to Colorado.

They should monitor what happens with Barkov, in case Florida isn't able to re-sign him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Avs management has been making a mockery of the league over the last few seasons.
Sakic and co. Limiting their additions to guys with a year left on their contracts in anticipation of paying Makar and A bump to Landeskog.

Saad at $6 mill for a year and Toews is arbitration eligible and should be a ufa if he gets a 1 year deal.

Good that they plan ahead but don’t want to get too caught up in that otherwise you blow your chances to win when you have the opportunity to do so.

but better to give assets to get guys than overpay and pay assets to get rid of them.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016

Having to keep Fleury around for now probably made them even more desperate to unload Schmidt.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Marleau has resigned with the Sharks. If he plays 45 games he'll pass Gordie Howe for most all-time games played. It's crazy that the potential NHL leader in games played is not a hall of famer.

What an incredible accomplishment. Would definitely be a guy I would cheer for to lift the cup (if the Canucks don't).

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Marleau has resigned with the Sharks. If he plays 45 games he'll pass Gordie Howe for most all-time games played. It's crazy that the potential NHL leader in games played is not a hall of famer.
But absolutely should be solely for playing more than anyone else. The rest of his resume is just bonus after that, heh

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I have no issues with Marleau going into the HHOF if he gets that record.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Legitimately surprised by this considering you're the Prime Minister of the No Compilers Club. :laugh:

Ha. There's a level of compiling which becomes greatness in it's own regard.

Howe's record is iconic and breaking it is special. If someone scored 30 goals/season for 30 years to break Gretzky's goals record, I'd be ok with that too.

Reactions: Vector

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I don't see any issues with Marleau going into the hall of fame, especially if he breaks that record. Which if I were him I'd try my best to get as close as possible.

On a personal note, I would think hard about leaving the record intact because Howe is iconic, and either tie it, or be one short.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Patrick Marleau played with Bernie Nicholls and Gary Suter. Blows my mind.

He played against Kjell Samuelsson who was born in 1958 and made his men's league debut in Sweden in 1976. And Gretzky/Messier/Gartner who turned pro in 1978.

He lived in a still-active Kelly Hrudey's basement as a rookie.

patrick marleau has played for so long that almost all of us have forgotten there was a time when he was considered a clutch playoff performer, in fact san jose's MOST clutch playoff performer. this is back when darryl sutter had never made the finals, let alone won multiple cups. the best players on his team were teemu selanne, owen nolan, vincent damphousse, and mike ricci.

in fact, if quinton byfield plays next season, patrick marleau will have played in the same league as a guy who wasn't even born when he was still clutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad