Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Good detailed post, and I agree with a plenty of it but there’s definitely some things I disagree with. Especially your main point that he isn’t good enough to be more than a 4th liner. He already produces at a better than a 4th liner rate and is one of the better defensive forwards on the team. I fail to understand how a player who does that isn’t good enough to be more than a 4th liner.

It’s also been pointed out plenty of times on here that his 5v5 production over the last 2 years is exactly the same as Compher except Jost has done it in much fewer minutes. So if Jost isn’t anything more than a 4th liner, Compher is what? A 4th line grinder as you called him? Come on, they’re both better than 4th line players but unfortunately they’re (imo) being used in improper roles.

You also point out that he can’t create a scoring chance but that’s not true. After the big 3 forwards Jost has created more scoring chances than anyone this season. I don’t think he has the skill to really finish those plays but he creates them for his linemates with his ability to constantly force possession in the offensive zone.

Im with you that Jost doesn’t have the high end skill to move high up the lineup or anything. I’m just trying to explain how he’s currently stuck in the fourth line while an inferior player who’s actually a winger plays 3C. I think if Jost is our 3C he’s better in that role than Compher while it also puts Compher in a better position to succeed where he’s more comfortable as a 3rd line winger. I think JTC has puck skill that isn’t often displayed because he’s forced into a role that doesn’t work and he’s forced to take on responsibilities that don’t suit his skill set. I think he’s more skilled than Jost, so let Jost do the heavy lifting down the middle defensively and let JTC drive some more offense.

I agree that Compher is a 4th liner as well--but as Henchy said, the reason Compher is there because he can skate, and Jost can't. JT is obviously not the answer at 3C, but Jost isn't either.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, except that there's a clear demarcation between Jost and Compher. I don't think that's the case. Jost is obviously better defensively and drives possession better, but JT is the superior skater and stronger player overall, and while the difference in scoring ability isn't massive, JT has been more productive.

And Jost can't do any "heavy lifting," defensively or otherwise. That's his problem. He's a marginal NHLer at best. Both Jost and JT, even in a limited, sheltered 4th line role got completely destroyed by the Dallas Stars in the Bubble.

FTR, I'd rather see Logan O'Connor in that 4th line RW spot over either Compher or Jost. I think he's a better scorer than either of them, albeit worse defensively than probably either of them.

Someone alert Hasbro! I'm saying a guy with inferior fancy stats is a better fit on that 4th line than Jost or Compher.

Personally, I hope Joe is burning up the phonelines looking for upgrades at 3C and goal, while also looking to free up roster spots for Kaut and O'Connor. Obviously not an easy set of tasks set before him.

EDIT: I should add that really, Jost IS the de facto 3rd line center at the moment. Pretty sure the trio of Jost with Bellemare and Calvert got more ice time than Compher. Compher got the least amount of ice time of any Avs forward, so he was in a 4th line role by default. It's just not that way on paper...yet.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Graves for Danualt

Bergivin=
upload_2021-1-21_16-21-16.gif

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I agree that Compher is a 4th liner as well--but as Henchy said, the reason Compher is there because he can skate, and Jost can't. JT is obviously not the answer at 3C, but Jost isn't either.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, except that there's a clear demarcation between Jost and Compher. I don't think that's the case. Jost is obviously better defensively and drives possession better, but JT is the superior skater and stronger player overall, and while the difference in scoring ability isn't massive, JT has been more productive.

And Jost can't do any "heavy lifting," defensively or otherwise. That's his problem. He's a marginal NHLer at best. Both Jost and JT, even in a limited, sheltered 4th line role got completely destroyed by the Dallas Stars in the Bubble.

FTR, I'd rather see Logan O'Connor in that 4th line RW spot over either Compher or Jost. I think he's a better scorer than either of them, albeit worse defensively than probably either of them.

Someone alert Hasbro! I'm saying a guy with inferior fancy stats is a better fit on that 4th line than Jost or Compher.

Personally, I hope Joe is burning up the phonelines looking for upgrades at 3C and goal, while also looking to free up roster spots for Kaut and O'Connor. Obviously not an easy set of tasks set before him.
That’s all fair. I respect what you’re saying. But how can you say it without confirmation? I’m not saying Jost is the answer to our 3C woes. I’m saying he hasn’t been given the opportunity.

We don’t know if Jost is or isn’t a good option as a 3C but we do know that Compher isn’t and it frustrates me that we haven’t at least given the other guy a chance. If it doesn’t work out at least you tried because whats being used in that position right now doesn’t work.

P.S. me saying Jost and Compher are equally productive 5v5 isn’t an opinion. It’s actual stats. Jost has 1 more point than JTC over the last 3 years 5v5 despite playing 130 less minutes. That’s while being far superior defensively and 3 years younger. Compher’s overall production is better but PP stats have absolutely nothing to do with your line position 5v5.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
snip

• Timmins + Francouz for Merzlikins
  • Jost for Bonino
Add whatever additional picks that are necessary.

Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Nichuskin -------- Kadri --------- Burakovsky
Saad ------------- Bonino -------- Donskoi
Calvert --------- Bellemare ----- Compher

Toews --- Makar
Girard --- Graves
Byram --- Johnson

Merzlikins
Grubauer

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That’s all fair. I respect what you’re saying. But how can you say it without confirmation? I’m not saying Jost is the answer to our 3C woes. I’m saying he hasn’t been given the opportunity.

We don’t know if Jost is or isn’t a good option as a 3C but we do know that Compher isn’t and it frustrates me that we haven’t at least given the other guy a chance. If it doesn’t work out at least you tried because whats being used in that position right now doesn’t work.

P.S. me saying Jost and Compher are equally productive 5v5 isn’t an opinion. It’s actual stats. Jost has 1 more point than JTC over the last 3 years 5v5 despite playing 130 less minutes. That’s while being far superior defensively and 3 years younger. Compher’s overall production is better but PP stats have absolutely nothing to do with your line position 5v5.

I dunno man, comparing Jost and Compher's even-strength scoring stats doesn't seem to be worth it. They're equally unproductive players, I'll give you that. So you're basically saying Compher is a slightly more competent scorer on the man-advantage. Are you seriously saying that Jost didn't get ample power play time in the past, because he most certainly has, and again, really didn't do much.

Again, Jost has been tried EVERYWHERE, and hasn't stuck. He's been given checking line duties, scoring line duties, power play time, and none of it has worked. He's not fast enough, not strong enough, and not really skilled enough to carve out a proper role in anything other than being a quasi-4th line center. And I'll add that while he's looked good, he is still the worst player on that line. Bellemare and Calvert are doing quite a bit to help him.

Either way, it can't continue like this--Bednar and Sakic are gonna have to figure something out.

Reactions: Richard88

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
  • Jost for Bonino

Toews --- Makar
Girard --- Graves
Byram --- Johnson

Merzlikins
Grubauer

In a fantasy world, I'd be all for this.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
  • Jost for Bonino

Toews --- Makar
Girard --- Graves
Byram --- Johnson

Merzlikins
Grubauer
Yes to Merzlikins

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I think Bowers will be the answer very soon. I think we'll see him briefly in the NHL this year, and I think next year he is a full time player (maybe not immediately on the third line, but at least a regular).

Until then, sign me up for trading for a Bonino, Stastny, Stepan type to help Colorado win it all this season. You know what you're getting and you don't need to protect them in the expansion draft.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think Bowers will be the answer very soon. I think we'll see him briefly in the NHL this year, and I think next year he is a full time player (maybe not immediately on the third line, but at least a regular).

Until then, sign me up for trading for a Bonino, Stastny, Stepan type to help Colorado win it all this season. You know what you're getting and you don't need to protect them in the expansion draft.
If Bowers isn't ready to be a regular by next season we'll have an issue as we need an ELC or two to replace Calvert, Bellemare, and Saad. Hopefully Newhook, Kaut, and Bowers are up to the task.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Okay stay the hell away from Dubois. Looks like depressed Duchene out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad