Rumor: 2020-21 Trade Rumours and FA Part XII: Dietary Discourse

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
When you consider that Anders Lee and Evander Kane signed for 7 years X $7M and Brayden Schenn signed for 8 years X $6.5M - I feel that Landeskog is better than both Lee and Kane and probably on par or a little better than Schenn, I can certainly see Landeskog's perspective for wanting a bigger contract.

I don't really get why the Avs wouldn't want to get to that number. Why is it that all the other teams take chances and are willing to pay these guys into their 30s but we don't want to risk it? I understand that you want to give yourself as much flexibility as possible but I don't think you want to lose a player like #92 for nothing. I doubt very much that he's going to become the next Andrew Ladd or Loui Eriksson where they aren't even NHL players shortly after signing their big, mega deals. I think Landeskog on a long-term deal would age probably better and maybe similar to a player like Dustin Brown where he'll have some good seasons and some not so good seasons but at the back-end of his contract, he'll still be a useful player and whatever the AAV will be, it's not going to look as bad in 5-6 years.

One thing I will say - IF for whatever the Avs don't sign Landeskog and for me, I think that's a really big "IF", the only reason better be that it's because you've got something HUGE coming down the pipe and you've made a hockey decision to improve the team at another position at the expense of first line Left Wing.

In the end though, I think the Avs and Landeskog agree to terms on 8 years @ $6.75M per year or somewhere around there.
Up the AAV to 7 and I think that is the number it takes to re-sign Landy.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
When you consider that Anders Lee and Evander Kane signed for 7 years X $7M and Brayden Schenn signed for 8 years X $6.5M - I feel that Landeskog is better than both Lee and Kane and probably on par or a little better than Schenn, I can certainly see Landeskog's perspective for wanting a bigger contract.

I don't really get why the Avs wouldn't want to get to that number. Why is it that all the other teams take chances and are willing to pay these guys into their 30s but we don't want to risk it? I understand that you want to give yourself as much flexibility as possible but I don't think you want to lose a player like #92 for nothing. I doubt very much that he's going to become the next Andrew Ladd or Loui Eriksson where they aren't even NHL players shortly after signing their big, mega deals. I think Landeskog on a long-term deal would age probably better and maybe similar to a player like Dustin Brown where he'll have some good seasons and some not so good seasons but at the back-end of his contract, he'll still be a useful player and whatever the AAV will be, it's not going to look as bad in 5-6 years.

One thing I will say - IF for whatever the Avs don't sign Landeskog and for me, I think that's a really big "IF", the only reason better be that it's because you've got something HUGE coming down the pipe and you've made a hockey decision to improve the team at another position at the expense of first line Left Wing.

In the end though, I think the Avs and Landeskog agree to terms on 8 years @ $6.75M per year or somewhere around there.

Isn’t there a rumour that he has already rejected 7x7? I fully expect him to be signing the next Lucic contract.

Reactions: forsbergavs32
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Landy isn’t a caveman. He plays a solid two way game without a ton of physicality. He’ll age way better than Lucic.

Oh, I agree, but I do think he’s going to get overpaid quite a bit for the perceived physicality and leadership that GMs just fall in love with. I also believe that his presence will be significantly missed if he leaves, and if the Avs don’t win anything by the time MacK is up I don’t see him staying.

Reactions: Avsboy

SoftMittsHardSticks

Jan 3, 2014
I can't help but feel like if we let Jost walk, he'll just turn into our version of Nichushkin for somebody else. Sometimes when players are rushed into the show, it just takes longer for them to catch up to their original potential. The kid is still only 23, anyone who thinks that he has hit his absolute ceiling as a player is kidding themselves

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
I can't help but feel like if we let Jost walk, he'll just turn into our version of Nichushkin for somebody else. Sometimes when players are rushed into the show, it just takes longer for them to catch up to their original potential. The kid is still only 23, anyone who thinks that he has hit his absolute ceiling as a player is kidding themselves
I love Jost. Full effort. Good D, scores here and there. Cheap

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Drafting Jost cost Sakic his friendship with Patrick Roy. Jost is going to be on this team as long as Sakic is running things.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh, I agree, but I do think he’s going to get overpaid quite a bit for the perceived physicality and leadership that GMs just fall in love with. I also believe that his presence will be significantly missed if he leaves, and if the Avs don’t win anything by the time MacK is up I don’t see him staying.
Pretty much how I see it… Landy will be worth his contract for 4-5 years… a mil or so overpaid for 2-3 more… then 2-3 over paid for a year or two.

Also, hot take, Avs will have to advance to the Cup finals in the next two years to keep MacK if they let Landy walk.

Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Nah just right.
I love Jost. Full effort. Good D, scores here and there. Cheap
giphy.gif

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Pretty much how I see it… Landy will be worth his contract for 4-5 years… a mil or so overpaid for 2-3 more… then 2-3 over paid for a year or two.

Also, hot take, Avs will have to advance to the Cup finals in the next two years to keep MacK if they let Landy walk.

That is exactly how I feel as well. If the Avs haven’t won anything by the end of this MacK contract they are done. MacKinnon has already seen a bunch of his friends leave and the team has hype but done nothing. He’s not going to be stoked to stick around if that continues

Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Nieto at $850k for the next two years would be pretty solid if Sakic can find a way to acquire him from either SJ or Seattle.

Maybe as a 13th forward in case someone gets hurt but my hope is that the Avs have learned their lesson from recent years. A bunch of 5-11 depth forwards who can skate and PK pretty well but don't hit or play a physical game don't really help you much in the playoffs.

Players like Jordan Martinook and Carter Rowney (if healthy and fully recovered) should definitely be looked at for the 4th line as should Luke Glendering to replace Bellemare as 4th line C. (faceoffs)

If we keep adding players who are easy to play against, we'll never go anywhere in the post season. Our top guys are who they are but the bottom part of the roster needs to be a pain in the ass to play against.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Maybe as a 13th forward in case someone gets hurt but my hope is that the Avs have learned their lesson from recent years. A bunch of 5-11 depth forwards who can skate and PK pretty well but don't hit or play a physical game don't really help you much in the playoffs.

Players like Jordan Martinook and Carter Rowney (if healthy and fully recovered) should definitely be looked at for the 4th line as should Luke Glendering to replace Bellemare as 4th line C. (faceoffs)

If we keep adding players who are easy to play against, we'll never go anywhere in the post season. Our top guys are who they are but the bottom part of the roster needs to be a pain in the ass to play against.
Martinook would be great, but he’s going to cost a lot more than the Avs can afford on a 4th line guy now.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Possible 60 million offer for Landeskog out there? Over 7 years?

He should definitely take that. He could retire at 35 and have made over $100,000,000.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
This description of Jost should not be controversial.

Cheap as in not tipping on free frozen yogurt, cheap?
Jost's salary needs to come in somewhere between the free frozen yogurt and the cost of the gas money it took to deliver it for it to be worth keeping him. It seems like there should be a ton of TJs available for league minimum, but I am much too lazy to research it or truly, truly care. Great kid, though.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Avs could offer 56 million. 8x7 million. I would hope that’s the max offer

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Every rumor I hear keeps giving me the inclination that Landy is stuck on 8 years. Like 8x8 or 8x7 or something.

He knows his health situation. And he knows the Avs know it too. He has to know that kind of contract could be a big burden for the Avs in the future.

I get wanting to get that deal, but why take it so personally that the Avs didn't jump at the opportunity to sign that kind of deal early? That's obviously not the kind of deal Joe would offer until the last minute, if he does at all.

I really hope he doesn't leave over the Avs offering 7 years instead of 8. That seems silly to me. Lots of players ask for 8 years but they rarely get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad