Rumor: 2020-21 Trade Rumours and FA Part IX: The Version Where We Are Sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't see how the Avs can trade Byram in pretty much any deal.

If they want to compete, they need two defenseman playing in the top 4 that are good defensively. Even if they trade for Jones, that would only be two guys. Jones and Byram. Girard is average to slightly below average (in the playoffs) and Makar is average to slightly above average (but still a bit inconsistent).

Toews is solid but it's mainly due to his smarts. He still loses the occasional physical battle in tough games. He's basically Girard in an average sized body instead of an undersized one.

Timmins is capable of being above average defensively, but he's still a bit raw from all the time off, and so far he's been below average because he's so inconsistent. He gets himself in trouble a little too often.

Graves is average to slightly above average defensively (depending on the role he's playing in) but he shouldn't be playin in the top 4.

Joe should be aiming for this top 4 below. Then have another big body on the third pair (whether it's EJ, Graves, or someone else), and you have a perfectly balanced D core with skill, size, smarts, and true offensive/defensive ability.

Byram - Makar
G/Toews - Jones

Reactions: The Kingslayer

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Because Gibson is elite (at least when healthy) and Grubauer has now had two rather mediocre playoff showings the last three years.

I’m not advocating a Gibson trade here but if he’s available the Avs will at least consider it, and for good reason.

Huh?? He was good both years. Had a .922 and a .914sv% in each playoffs. He outplayed Fleury in the Vegas series too. He’s plenty good for the Avs to win a cup, they just need to play better in front of him.

Gibson is good, but there are plenty of reasons not to go after him too. Cap hit, trade cost, injury history etc..

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Huh?? He was good both years. Had a .922 and a .914sv% in each playoffs. He outplayed Fleury in the Vegas series too. He’s plenty good for the Avs to win a cup, they just need to play better in front of him.

Gibson is good, but there are plenty of reasons not to go after him too. Cap hit, trade cost, injury history etc..

First couple games Grubauer outplayed Fleury, but then Fluery outplayed him the rest of the way IMO.

They do need to play better in front of him, but Grubauer needs to be a bit more consistent as well.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Save percentage hardly tells the whole story. He got worse as the series went on (and yes, he was the only reason they had any chance of winning game two in the first place) and simply didn’t make the big saves in those last three games. And call me irrational if you want but that Holden goal in game six is still beyond inexcusable.

He wasn’t horrible, he just wasn’t great. He was merely average at a time when the Avs needed him to be really good at the least. You can’t have pedestrian goaltending in the postseason. And that’s what he was against Vegas and San Jose two years prior.

Again, not pining for Gibson, but he’s still a clear upgrade on Grubauer. The caveats with him are obvious though.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Save percentage hardly tells the whole story. He got worse as the series went on (and yes, he was the only reason they had any chance of winning game two in the first place) and simply didn’t make the big saves in those last three games. And call me irrational if you want but that Holden goal in game six is still beyond inexcusable.

Again, not pining for Gibson, but he’s still a clear upgrade on Grubauer. The caveats with him are obvious though.

Is he though? The numbers(And no, I'm not just talking about sv%) certainly don't suggest that to be true.

I was an advocate for Gibson before, but he has regressed lately while Gruby has looked better for a while now.

If Grubys contract starts with a 5 instead of a 6 for example I easily take him over Gibson at this point.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
So...what I'm understanding is that there are two options for the Avs off-season.

1) The Avalanche acquire Gibson, Jones, and Eichel with 100% retention and for the cost of 5th, 6th and 7th round picks. With these additions Makar, Grubauer and Landeskog actually pay the Avs to play for them, leading to the Avs being able to also sign Hyman, Coleman, Danault and a time travelling Bobby Orr.

or

2) Landeskog, Makar, Jost and Grubauer all sign for 10 million/year and the Avs get eliminated from the playoffs after Game 1 of the season.

I can't wait.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
They gotta get some contracts signed.

The action will pick up after the expansion draft on the 21st.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Colorado makes a splash between the expansion draft and the entry draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad