News Article: 2020-21 Season

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So, really not a bubble. Right in the heart of flu season, many of them in a country where an element of the population clearly doesn't give a shit about distancing or protection. What can possibly go wrong.

See this post so I am not answering twice.

News Article: - 2020-21 Season

NHL ran a 100% success rate coming out of Phase 3. Sure during an entire season some players may get it, but that is the risk everyone takes every single day.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Not if they want full pay, and they all do.

I think people are forgetting this. Opting out of the playoffs where players weren’t getting a pay cheque anyway is completing different from opting out of the regular season and foregoing getting paid altogether.

I’d be surprised if anyone opted out honestly.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think people are forgetting this. Opting out of the playoffs where players weren’t getting a pay cheque anyway is completing different from opting out of the regular season and foregoing getting paid altogether.

I’d be surprised if anyone opted out honestly.

You might have a few players opt out who are at the end of the rope and are collecting very little on the last year of a front loaded contract. Otherwise, players will play if they agree to a method that is safe and keeps them close to their families and is negotiated by the NHLPA and the NHL.

Reactions: Faelko

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
From 31 Thoughts

I don’t believe there will a bubble (or bubbles) next season. The players won’t want it, and, quite frankly, neither will the owners. They’ll want a path towards attendance and will wait as long as possible to try and see one. I do think one season of regionalized travel is possible, with teams playing back-to-backs in one city. Yes, that could mean a Canadian Division, for one year only.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
From 31 Thoughts

I don’t believe there will a bubble (or bubbles) next season. The players won’t want it, and, quite frankly, neither will the owners. They’ll want a path towards attendance and will wait as long as possible to try and see one. I do think one season of regionalized travel is possible, with teams playing back-to-backs in one city. Yes, that could mean a Canadian Division, for one year only.
That would be intense.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So, no bubbles in the season. For predictable results, see MLB. Now fast forward to winter, close contact, and times it by 3.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
“Here’s an article I didn’t read but here’s my opinion about it.”

I can’t tell who does and doesn’t have the Athletic nor who can’t afford the $3.33 per month it costs.

I renewed the other day with a 50% promo code, and it was only $3.00 per month, so you got ripped off. ;)

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So, no bubbles in the season. For predictable results, see MLB. Now fast forward to winter, close contact, and times it by 3.

I think Canada could honestly be in for a rougher ride in the winter months than the US. I hope not, but cold weather + people being stuck indoors + Christmas shopping and events is going to be problematic.

That and we have lower immunity up here. By Dec/January, states like Florida and California may well have seen the worst. I hope it doesn't go like that but one has to concede it's a possibility.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
All so they can enjoy winter in Calgary/Edmonton/Winnipeg/Toronto/Ottawa even Vancouver is pretty grim in the winter, lol.

Have you been in Boston, Chicago, New York, New Jersey or Philly during the winter? It's not like all 24 US based teams have great winter weather. Vancouver has far better winters than all those places. But negative is gonna negative.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yeah, I don't see how this would be a big deal at all. You play the other teams in your division 5-6 times each. Then at the roughly half way mark, the league can decide whether they continue with that, or expand to the other divisions, or just call the season done there and start the playoffs based on half the season (similar to the lock out years). It's a pretty good idea, and might be the best we can hope for. It will be a little less exciting, as you won't get to see a McDavid vs Crosby matchup, or whatever, but things aren't exactly normal right now. We have to remember that by March there could very well be a vaccine available that would allow a return to teams travelling across the border.
I am old enough to remember the original six. What it lacked in variety it made up for in the intensity of the rivalries. Saturday afternoon games in February vs Florida may be a nice break from winter for the players but they don't inspire me all that much. I doubt that they really bring out the most in the players either.

I think this format has potential for some very interesting hockey.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
We already have guys that have opted out at the beginning over a potential 2 months in a bubble, as well as a star goalie bailing after one month. Asking them to do this again for possibly 6 months will be a challenge.
There were no financial implications for an individual opting out of the play-in/playoffs. For the regular season there will be.

Reactions: joestevens29

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Have you been in Boston, Chicago, New York, New Jersey or Philly during the winter? It's not like all 24 US based teams have great winter weather. Vancouver has far better winters than all those places. But negative is gonna negative.
Winter in Toronto is also a lot better than many think. The city has its own mini climate. There could easily be no snow on the ground for well over half of the Dec-Feb period.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There were no financial implications for an individual opting out of the play-in/playoffs. For the regular season there will be.
I think the biggest thing we potentially see is guys retiring that may not have.

Still interested in what opting out does to a players contract. No way we want a guy like RNH opting out and then becoming a UFA. At the same time no way do we want Neal's contract extended another year

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
NBA players are getting to have their family brought into the bubble, think NHL players are going to be giving their PA reps an earful that the NHL failed to provide something similar.

You can also see they have a nice area to play with their family on the Disney resort in Orlando and the family is able to watch them play live.

Also saw a report on CBC News a few days ago that the Canadian government is considering waiving the 14 day quarantine period for people who are test negative upon entry into the country. I can see sports athletes who are tested daily being given a waiver with stipulations that they wear a mask in public at all times for up to 7-14 days but no strict quarantine.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If they're planning 82 games that probably means a strict bubble start for the first 20 games or so. There isn't likely to be a widespread vaccine available by December or even January.

Bubble in LA/Vegas + Florida for the first bit, then try and move teams back to their home cities where they can have fans and gate revenue is what I think they'll try to do.

Players will have higher demands for amenities and family access now that they've seen the NBA do better.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If they're planning 82 games that probably means a strict bubble start for the first 20 games or so. There isn't likely to be a widespread vaccine available by December or even January.

Bubble in LA/Vegas + Florida for the first bit, then try and move teams back to their home cities where they can have fans and gate revenue is what I think they'll try to do.

Players will have higher demands for amenities and family access now that they've seen the NBA do better.

Do you even read the articles or watch the video or just assume what the articles or video even say? This article and podcast are even free.

The report from Daly is he envisions no bubbles of any kind.

Also for the millionth time the NBA doesn’t have to contend with the border. Complain to the Canadian government for having actual safety standards.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Do you even read the articles or watch the video or just assume what the articles or video even say? This article and podcast are even free.

The report from Daly is he envisions no bubbles of any kind.

Also for the millionth time the NBA doesn’t have to contend with the border. Complain to the Canadian government for having actual safety standards.

Good luck with that then NHL. They won't be starting until like February.

The NHL doesn't have to play in Canada anyway.

Don't tell me the Canadian teams are going to play the same 6 teams 82 times is the plan.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Good luck with that then NHL. They won't be starting until like February.

The NHL doesn't have to play in Canada anyway.

556B3929-1959-41EC-BB67-930A451051D4.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad