Speculation: 2020-21 Season Rumors and Facts Thread

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The idea of 4 weeks in a bubble, and 2 weeks out, is actually a pretty good idea. It would allow:
- players to see their families
- a relatively condensed schedule of 14-15 games every 6 weeks (which puts the end of a 48 game season around the end of May, if it starts the first week of January)
- 2 weeks for players to heal and recuperate from the condensed 4 weeks
- moving the bubble would allow each team to "remain home" for 1 full 6 week span
- alternating bubbles on/off times would allow televised games to be consistent (not having big gaps)

It's a pretty solid idea, all in all.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd be curious about what the NHL decides on "taxi squads" or having the AHL team follow the NHL one for instant call ups.

Potentially, it's 1.5-3 million in extra cap space. If we can have only 20 active players on the roster (no extras), instead of 22-23 man roster.

I think I have that right. And btw currently on capfriendly we have 15 forwards against the cap, 2 goalies and only 5 D. So potentially add Bear to make it 6, but then subtract 3 forwards. That kind of pays for Bear right there. Maybe more.

edit: actually I got one thing wrong. We have 6 D without Bear. So we are at 24 players now. So we show as 0 cap space but we have a lot more than that actually, and especially if we'd be allowed to go with a 20 man roster.

edit: and another wrinkle is Klefbom of course. Imo it's looking like he will be on the IR but not long enough for us to be able to get a replacement.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah how they handle the (assumedly) increased taxi squad in regards to the cap will be interesting. Teams that are close to the cap will just do a bunch of paper transactions and carry less players than "normal", because there is no risk of an injured player not being replaced by an AHL player due to travel distance, etc. Seems like this would be a bit of a loop-hole that the cap-teams could take advantage of. Gotta figure the NHL will try and close this loop-hole somehow.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
If they do decide on bubbles, i really hope they stagger, so we get hockey all yr, dont want a two week break.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
yeah, I don't get how the NBA can start so soon

is Toronto gonna play in the U.S all season?

I think if the NBA starts in December, the NHL will definitely start sometime in January, with an all-Canadian division

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Dec 22 feels so soon for the NBA.

They lose a ton of revenue if they hold off until Martin Luther King day for instance due to not missing out on the ratings bonanza that is Christmas Day games when the NBA is the only game on, literally. Apparently it was somewhere between $500M to $1B lost if they held off a month which would put a real hurting on the players.

Where the NBA dropped the ball was inexplicably postponing the draft and free agency a month. If they had done it shortly after the finals like the NHL did, it wouldn't feel nearly as rushed. Now, they start Training Camps 10!!! days after free agency begins which is nuts quite frankly but, in the same token, fun for the fans. Re

I don't think the NBA early start will effect NHL thinking because the NBA is only doing it for TV ratings purposes, something that generates a lot less revenue for the NHL.
It does seem like we should hear something from the NHL soon with their tentative January 1st start (which isn't going to happen). They'd be opening Training Camps in a month if they want to pull that off which seems highly unrealistic considering that they haven't even met yet with the PA and there are so many hurdles to overcome, moreso than other sports due to the Canadian teams and likely no gate revenue that other sports don't depend on as much.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I'd be curious about what the NHL decides on "taxi squads" or having the AHL team follow the NHL one for instant call ups.

Potentially, it's 1.5-3 million in extra cap space. If we can have only 20 active players on the roster (no extras), instead of 22-23 man roster.

I think I have that right. And btw currently on capfriendly we have 15 forwards against the cap, 2 goalies and only 5 D. So potentially add Bear to make it 6, but then subtract 3 forwards. That kind of pays for Bear right there. Maybe more.

edit: actually I got one thing wrong. We have 6 D without Bear. So we are at 24 players now. So we show as 0 cap space but we have a lot more than that actually, and especially if we'd be allowed to go with a 20 man roster.

edit: and another wrinkle is Klefbom of course. Imo it's looking like he will be on the IR but not long enough for us to be able to get a replacement.
I believe Oiler's management, medical staff and capologist would have discussed Klefbom's injury, rehab and return schedule thoroughly with Klefbom and his representation. Otherwise they wouldn't have made any information available to the public. Information that spells out the roster implications and cap repercussions. If Klefbom is to rehab until the trade deadline, the playoffs or even all season, they already have it worked out before hand. Klefbom isn't going to leave his NHL club in a lurch because he demands to rejoin the team mid-season or at an undetermined date. Oscar Klefbom will be fully financially compensated while simultaneously receiving what he has determined the "optimum medical treatment" for his shoulder is in order for him to return playing NHL hockey for the Edmonton Oilers.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The idea of 4 weeks in a bubble, and 2 weeks out, is actually a pretty good idea. It would allow:
- players to see their families
- a relatively condensed schedule of 14-15 games every 6 weeks (which puts the end of a 48 game season around the end of May, if it starts the first week of January)
- 2 weeks for players to heal and recuperate from the condensed 4 weeks
- moving the bubble would allow each team to "remain home" for 1 full 6 week span
- alternating bubbles on/off times would allow televised games to be consistent (not having big gaps)

It's a pretty solid idea, all in all.

The math works perfectly by doing 16 games in 6 weeks (4 games per week while in the bubble then 2 weeks off).

Week 1-2 - Bubbles 1 and 2 start play
Week 3-4 - Bubbles 3 and 4 start play, Bubbles 1 and 2 continue.
Week 5-6 - Bubble 3 and 4 continue, Bubble 1 and 2 rest.
Week 7-8 - Bubbles 1 and 2 start play, Bubble 3 and 4 rest.
Week 9-10 - Bubbles 3 and 4 start play, Bubbles 1 and 2 continue.
Week 11-12 - Bubble 3 and 4 continue, Bubble 1 and 2 rest.
Week 13-14 - Bubbles 1 and 2 start play, Bubble 3 and 4 rest.
Week 15-16 - Bubbles 3 and 4 start play, Bubbles 1 and 2 continue.
Week 17-18 - Bubble 3 and 4 continue, Bubble 1 and 2 rest.

48 games played in 18 weeks. If bubbles 1 and 2 are same conference they can even link these up to minimize down time between end of season and playoffs. January 1st start would wrap up season on May 7th. Playoffs start shortly after with the playoffs teams from bubbles 1 and 2 starting before the teams in 3 and 4.

Maybe by that point, they don't even need to do bubbles.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The math works perfectly by doing 16 games in 6 weeks (4 games per week while in the bubble then 2 weeks off).

Week 1-2 - Bubbles 1 and 2 start play
Week 3-4 - Bubbles 3 and 4 start play, Bubbles 1 and 2 continue.
Week 5-6 - Bubble 3 and 4 continue, Bubble 1 and 2 rest.
Week 7-8 - Bubbles 1 and 2 start play, Bubble 3 and 4 rest.
Week 9-10 - Bubbles 3 and 4 start play, Bubbles 1 and 2 continue.
Week 11-12 - Bubble 3 and 4 continue, Bubble 1 and 2 rest.
Week 13-14 - Bubbles 1 and 2 start play, Bubble 3 and 4 rest.
Week 15-16 - Bubbles 3 and 4 start play, Bubbles 1 and 2 continue.
Week 17-18 - Bubble 3 and 4 continue, Bubble 1 and 2 rest.

48 games played in 18 weeks. If bubbles 1 and 2 are same conference they can even link these up to minimize down time between end of season and playoffs. January 1st start would wrap up season on May 7th. Playoffs start shortly after with the playoffs teams from bubbles 1 and 2 starting before the teams in 3 and 4.

Maybe by that point, they don't even need to do bubbles.

I was hoping they would do more games but it seems more and more like it will be a 48 game divisional only schedule.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I was hoping they would do more games but it seems more and more like it will be a 48 game divisional only schedule.

I'm going to be surprised if they are even able to pull off 48 games to be honest. COVID numbers are *dramatically* increasing pretty much everywhere in north america, so the season happening at all will be considered a bonus in my mind.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

With the bubble scenario, they could potentially entertain the idea of intra-conference bubbles as well. Perhaps the first bubble has half the teams from each division within a conference. The second bubble swaps groups so that you can complete the rest of the out of division but in conference teams. Then the final bubble all divisional to complete seeding for divisional playoffs.

This scenario could allow teams to face each out of division but in conference teams twice for 16 games (except for whoever is in with the Canadian or Central Division pool which would be 14) with the other 32-34 games in division resulting in 4-5 games against each in division team (5-6 games for the 7 team division).

Actually with a bubble, they can probably just keep the current divisional alignment if they want. The Canadian division is only necessary if they don't want to do bubbles.

Another nice math situation is that an 8 team bubble where each plays 16 games in 28 days results in 64 games. In 28 day span there is 20 weekdays (2 games per day), and 8 weekend days (3 games per day). The math adds up to exactly 64 games with that alignment.

In the 7 team bubble it adds up to exactly 56 games. That's exactly 2 games per day.

In my scenario we'd have exactly 4 games every weeknight and 8 games when all 4 bubbles are playing. We'd also have 11 games on each weekend day where both bubbles are in play and 5 or 6 games every weekend day if only 2 bubbles are playing.

The math is easy to make it work, and I'm just some idiot on a message board and could come up with this. Just get it done NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Going even a step further if you treat the bubbles as an opportunity to have a bunch of back-back/head-to-head matchups, the math works again.

If it starts on a Friday. Friday, Saturday, Sunday gives you 8 games which mean all 8 teams could play a mini two game series in that weekend.

Then the weekdays Monday-Thursday give you 8 games again to do another mini two game series.

Repeat over for a total of 7 times and each team will have played each other twice, and for the final two games, you just fill in with divisional games for the final Monday-Thursday stretch.

For the 7 team bubble it's just 2 games series' spread over 4 days all the way through until the 6 mini-series are complete and fill the last 4 games with random in division games.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
With the bubble scenario, they could potentially entertain the idea of intra-conference bubbles as well. Perhaps the first bubble has half the teams from each division within a conference. The second bubble swaps groups so that you can complete the rest of the out of division but in conference teams. Then the final bubble all divisional to complete seeding for divisional playoffs.

This scenario could allow teams to face each out of division but in conference teams twice for 16 games (except for whoever is in with the Canadian or Central Division pool which would be 14) with the other 32-34 games in division resulting in 4-5 games against each in division team (5-6 games for the 7 team division).

Actually with a bubble, they can probably just keep the current divisional alignment if they want. The Canadian division is only necessary if they don't want to do bubbles.

Another nice math situation is that an 8 team bubble where each plays 16 games in 28 days results in 64 games. In 28 day span there is 20 weekdays (2 games per day), and 8 weekend days (3 games per day). The math adds up to exactly 64 games with that alignment.

In the 7 team bubble it adds up to exactly 56 games. That's exactly 2 games per day.

In my scenario we'd have exactly 4 games every weeknight and 8 games when all 4 bubbles are playing. We'd also have 11 games on each weekend day where both bubbles are in play and 5 or 6 games every weekend day if only 2 bubbles are playing.

The math is easy to make it work, and I'm just some idiot on a message board and could come up with this. Just get it done NHL.

The problem is the border crossing.

Reactions: bone

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Going even a step further if you treat the bubbles as an opportunity to have a bunch of back-back/head-to-head matchups, the math works again.

If it starts on a Friday. Friday, Saturday, Sunday gives you 8 games which mean all 8 teams could play a mini two game series in that weekend.

Then the weekdays Monday-Thursday give you 8 games again to do another mini two game series.

Repeat over for a total of 7 times and each team will have played each other twice, and for the final two games, you just fill in with divisional games for the final Monday-Thursday stretch.

For the 7 team bubble it's just 2 games series' spread over 4 days all the way through until the 6 mini-series are complete and fill the last 4 games with random in division games.

I read a scenario just like this or at least very similar. I love the idea of back to back games vs the same team. Especially if it’s divisional play. Each game is massive in a shortened season and your playing only teams you need to knock out to make the playoffs.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yeah how they handle the (assumedly) increased taxi squad in regards to the cap will be interesting. Teams that are close to the cap will just do a bunch of paper transactions and carry less players than "normal", because there is no risk of an injured player not being replaced by an AHL player due to travel distance, etc. Seems like this would be a bit of a loop-hole that the cap-teams could take advantage of. Gotta figure the NHL will try and close this loop-hole somehow.

Theer is a bit of protection in that strategy though. Players do need to be waived before a player transaction can be exceuted unless they are waiver exempt. One curious thing about this is a player on a one way contract could make substantially more by being off teh roster as AHL money is not subject to escrow. For example, if the Oilers waived Neal he would make roughly $1.1M more in the AHL than he would playing in the NHL over teh course of this season. Players on two way deals won't like these paper transactions because it cost them big dollars. That is where you may see push-back if this becoes the norm.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Understood, but it may be possible with a bubble. Border crossing wasn't allowed for Baseball because they weren't running in a bubble. If not, it's fine as well, just food for thought.

That is true but not sure how long it would mean for quarantine and different things like that. It is going to be complicated whatever they decide to do

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Vancouver got worse as they lost a lot of players.

Calgary improved in net but got worse on D in my opinion, forwards stayed the course so no improvement.

Edmonton improved except in net.

Winnipeg pretty much stayed the same
aside from re-acquiring Stastny.

Toronto stayed practically the same, with a few minor tweaks. Thornton will help JT keep moonboots and the gang in line.

Ottawa improved but not enough to be a threat, especially with Matt Murray as their goalie.

Montreal got a bit bigger but not necessarily better. They're about the same.

Top 3 should be some combination of Edmonton, Toronto and Winnipeg in my opinion. Calgary and Montreal duking it out for Wildcards if they stick with that format.

Personally, I think this hypothetical division will come down to being between Edmonton and Toronto with Winnipeg and Calgary not far behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: shoop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad