Speculation: 2020-21 Season Rumors and Facts Thread

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I could certainly see a scenario where there are no fans in the Canadian bubble division, but there are fans in lots of the american rinks (but likely not all, as that is still a state-by-state decision I believe). The Canadian teams are generally better off financially than their american counterparts, Ottawa being the exception, so I imagine that they could maybe weather the storm a bit better if there were no fans.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I could certainly see a scenario where there are no fans in the Canadian bubble division, but there are fans in lots of the american rinks (but likely not all, as that is still a state-by-state decision I believe). The Canadian teams are generally better off financially than their american counterparts, Ottawa being the exception, so I imagine that they could maybe weather the storm a bit better if there were no fans.

There's no point in having the Canadian teams in Canada in that scenario though, you might as well just have them based out of the US for the season in that case.

Canadian teams playing in Canada makes sense only if there's gate revenue to be had here.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It makes the most sense from a player safety point of view.

It don't really know if that's a given, Connor McDavid got COVID here imagine that happened to be mid-season instead of before the season, Canada having less immunity makes it more likely eventually a large spike is coming, or they get a vaccine by early next year, but in that case, NHL teams should be allowed to play where they please.

The truth is if there isn't a vaccine by early next year, many of us are going to end up contracting this eventually. How many Canadians haven't had a flu or cold at some point in the last couple of years.

If player safety is paramount it may well be safer to have players in a warm weather area, a flu like virus spreads faster in colder areas (like meat packing plants).

If teams are going to stay in Canada, there needs to be fans allowed in the arena, otherwise there's just no point.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It don't really know if that's a given, Connor McDavid got COVID here imagine that happened to be mid-season instead of before the season, Canada having less immunity makes it more likely eventually a large spike is coming, or they get a vaccine by early next year, but in that case, NHL teams should be allowed to play where they please.

The truth is if there isn't a vaccine by early next year, many of us are going to end up contracting this eventually. How many Canadians haven't had a flu or cold at some point in the last couple of years.

If player safety is paramount it may well be safer to have players in a warm weather area, a flu like virus spreads faster in colder areas (like meat packing plants).

If teams are going to stay in Canada, there needs to be fans allowed in the arena, otherwise there's just no point.

Again, I won't debate COVID with you. Suffice to say we disagree.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
There's no point in having the Canadian teams in Canada in that scenario though, you might as well just have them based out of the US for the season in that case.

Canadian teams playing in Canada makes sense only if there's gate revenue to be had here.

The players who play for Canadian teams most likely have their families living with them in Canadian cities. This won't be 100% true, but for the most part it is. These players are likely not going to want to be separated from their families for the entire season. With the border still closed to travel, this is what would have to happen. So yes, there is a fairly large reason to have the Canadian teams stay in Canada.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Seravalli was saying in 1260 this morning that it sounds like Jan 15 for training camp to start which means about Feb 1 for games.

If they don’t want to play past end of July we’re looking at up to about 70 games in a compressed schedule with playoffs starting beginning of June ending end of July.

If they do only divisional / regional games then it’s probably about 50 games and playoffs starting end of May and ending end of June.

Reactions: bellagiobob

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Reading the article it says every team is getting a 4th jersey next year called “Reverse Retro” to be worn only 1-2 times per year against a specific rival. I wonder if the Oilers jersey will be the blue lettering on orange logo?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Reading the article it says every team is getting a 4th jersey next year called “Reverse Retro” to be worn only 1-2 times per year against a specific rival. I wonder if the Oilers jersey will be the blue lettering on orange logo?

The way that is written, I'm picture moreso these:

e6d551e47e1bfa0c.jpg

http://www.whauniforms.com/Images/Oilers1.png

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
For those without an Athletic membership:

The NHL will have its first GMs meeting in quite a while Friday as the focus now shifts to next season.

Or do we say the upcoming season?
I’m so lost. Is it July or October right now?

In any case, as the NHL officially turns the page on 2019-20 now that free agency has, for the most part, run its course, it’s all about trying to figure out 2020-21.

And there are still way more questions than answers, as GMs will find out on that call this week. It’s the first official GMs meeting, agenda and all, since the early March meeting in Boca Raton, Fla., not counting the GM calls the league had every couple of weeks in the spring to update things after COVID-19 halted the regular season.

Friday’s GMs call will attempt to drill down a little more into details and logistics on the upcoming season although I suspect the key answers will still be in short supply.

One item of note, the seven teams who didn’t get to participate in return to play this past summer will finally have an answer on a proposal they jointly submitted a few months ago. Will they be allowed to extend their training camp before this season given that they haven’t played a game since mid-March?

A league source confirmed Tuesday that the NHL and NHL Players’ Association have an agreement on a general framework but nothing has been finalized yet and likely won’t until both sides set an official start date for training camps. But the tentative framework contemplates extra days of training camp which would be on the front end of the normal training camp period for the Ducks, Kings, Sharks, Devils, Senators, Red Wings and Sabres (if they choose to do so).

There’s also talk of extra preseason games for those teams but that part I don’t think has been agreed to at this point.

In the meantime, another topic for Friday’s meeting I know some NHL GMs are keenly focused on is their AHL prospects and the AHL season.

Player development during these uncertain times is a paramount concern. As of now, the AHL still has Dec. 4 as its target date to start the season but that’s going to change undoubtedly.

“We’re still in the gathering information stage,” AHL president and CEO Scott Howson told The Athletic on Tuesday. “We have a tentative start date of Dec. 4 but that’s probably going to get pushed I would say. We’re consulting with the NHL and trying to figure out what the best path is.”

Months ago, the AHL set up a return to play taskforce led by former AHL president David Andrews (a group that also includes Jets chairman Mark Chipman, Leafs GM Kyle Dubas, Oilers GM Ken Holland, Predators GM David Poile, Bruins GM Don Sweeney and Red Wings GM Steve Yzerman, among other executives).

“They’re soon going to bring to us a final recommendation and they’re getting down to the final stages of doing that,” Howson said of the taskforce. “We should have a little bit of clarity about what our next stake in the ground is going to be, in the next two or three weeks, I would think.”

It’s possible the AHL will want to delay its season start to after the NHL opens its season. Which would mirror what the AHL does regularly. But there are some NHL GMs who want their AHL prospects playing as soon as possible and want them going before the NHL season if at all an option.

I suspect the NHL/AHL will have contingency plans depending on if there are ongoing border restrictions. In particular, the Canucks, Oilers and Flames have their AHL affiliates based in the U.S. but will need access to their players, of course, in terms of call-ups, if the border is still an issue. The question is whether those AHL affiliates end up starting the season playing their games north of the border or not.

In the meantime, one of the reasons the league may not have too many definitive answers for GMs on Friday as far as timing yet for next season is that the NHL-NHLPA committee tackling the return to play still hasn’t met, sources confirmed Tuesday. Senior leadership on both sides are in constant dialogue with each other about next season and the league is continuing to gather some intel from its 31 clubs before being ready to get going with the joint committee.

But obviously time is of the essence so I would expect the committee to finally meet within the next week or two. The NHLPA hasn’t yet announced which players will take part in the joint committee but it’s expected to be made up of about 10 players. That’s a pretty big number. Which underlines how important these issues are that there would be that many players who want to be part of the committee.

There are so many issues to iron out. But I would say one idea we should all carry with us over the next little while as we speculate what next season might look like is that whatever form the season has to start may not be the same at the end.

Which is to say, depending on what the world looks like with COVID-19 and the border over the coming year, perhaps they start the season in geographical hubs but end the season in all 31 markets. Or at least hope to.

The next several weeks are going to be huge in deciding what form next season takes. Buckle up.

Reactions: subnet and Oilhawks

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Interesting development. I don't want this to become another COVID thread, but I wonder how accurate the rapid tests are?

It would certainly seem like this is an improvement though, and I believe this is what is in place in many Asian countries already. To be honest, more testing is better all around.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Interesting development. I don't want this to become another COVID thread, but I wonder how accurate the rapid tests are?

It would certainly seem like this is an improvement though, and I believe this is what is in place in many Asian countries already. To be honest, more testing is better all around.

Me neither lol. I imagine the accuracy is extremely high otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
lets hope they are close to rolling out a vaccine. I can’t wait to start paying this CERB bill off. I’ve never stopped working since this BS started. Lots stopped and maid more money
Yeah what gets me is the young adults who live at home, worked part time before and now get like $500 a week. It important to keep people afloat but some 18 year old that is dependant on their parents and hasn’t earned anything doesn’t need to get that type of money, it’s a waste.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad