Speculation: 2020-21 Season Rumors and Facts Thread

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
It's not great for any of the Pacific teams ... for years we get hammered by San Jose, LA, Anaheim, etc. now that its our turn to beat up on them we get thrown into a Canadian division where that's not an option.

That's not good for us really.

I want to make the playoffs, not indulge in dumb regular season rivalries.

We had a better record than every other Cdn team last year, so not sure what the big worry is. My primary interest in watching sports is to be entertained, and intense rivalries certainly help with that. What do you propose with the travel bans and quarantines that are in place and likely will be for a while?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We had a better record than every other Cdn team last year, so not sure what the big worry is. My primary interest in watching sports is to be entertained, and intense rivalries certainly help with that. What do you propose with the travel bans and quarantines that are in place and likely will be for a while?

The schedule being condensed as is was going to make next season tough, we don't really need to be artificially thrown into a harder division on top of that. The only "bad" team in the division is Ottawa and even they sometimes give the Oilers headaches.

It's not a setup I'd celebrate.

I would propose the NHL press the Canadian government to be a little reasonable here. 14 day quarantines for players being tested daily is f***ing stupid. Especially if on top of that opposing teams agree to isolate in hotels and not leave the premises while in Canada.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The schedule being condensed as is was going to make next season tough, we don't really need to be artificially thrown into a harder division on top of that. The only "bad" team in the division is Ottawa and even they sometimes give the Oilers headaches.

I would propose the NHL press the Canadian government to be a little reasonable here. 14 day quarantines for players being tested daily is f***ing stupid. Especially if on top of that opposing teams agree to isolate in hotels and not leave the premises while in Canada.

I don't mind better competition. And this still isn't elite competition, this is average to mediocre competition. If the Oilers can't make the playoffs in this group, then they don't deserve to be there. As for testing. I'm sure the league has contacted the govt numerous times on this issue, and it is what it is. I'm a glass half full person, so would rather look forward to watching some form of hockey than looking at what we won't have.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't mind better competition. And this still isn't elite competition, this is average to mediocre competition. If the Oilers can't make the playoffs in this group, then they don't deserve to be there. As for testing. I'm sure the league has contacted the govt numerous times on this issue, and it is what it is. I'm a glass half full person, so would rather look forward to watching some form of hockey than looking at what we won't have.

It's not really not great for Canadian teams actually in the long run. It probably means there's going to be at least one decent/solid Canadian team that probably would've made the playoffs in a normal setup that misses the playoffs due to this setup.

We already got screwed over by the previous COVID setup too being forced to be thrown into an immediate 5 game elimination round despite being 2nd in the division.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

The Canadian government already set the precedent for sports teams crossing the border with the Blue Jays. It's not happening.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Canadian government already set the precedent for sports teams crossing the border with the Blue Jays. It's not happening.

It's overblown. I'm not even a Trudeau hater, but they didn't give two craps about cross border travel for weeks while the virus was circulating and then only got serious about when his wife gets sick.

Requiring a 14 day quarantine for players that are tested daily is stupid and overkill.

The Blue Jays should have been allowed to play in Toronto so long as they were being tested regularly and visiting teams agreed to stay only in an isolated hotel complex. That's reasonable enough.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's overblown. I'm not even a Trudeau hater, but they didn't give two craps about cross border travel for weeks while the virus was circulating and then only got serious about when his wife gets sick.

Requiring a 14 day quarantine for players that are tested daily is stupid and overkill.

The Blue Jays should have been allowed to play in Toronto so long as they were being tested regularly and visiting teams agreed to stay only in an isolated hotel complex. That's reasonable enough.

You can run for Prime Minister and get the rules changed. Until then we are discussing how the league returns to play and the rumours surrounding it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You can run for Prime Minister and get the rules changed. Until then we are discussing how the league returns to play and the rumours surrounding it.

Even then what were the rules for the existing bubble.

Teams arrived from the US into Edmonton and Toronto on the 26th of August I believe, and there were already games going by the 28th/29th.

So what were even the rules there because that doesn't seem like a 14 day period there.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Even then what were the rules for the existing bubble.

Teams arrived from the US into Edmonton and Toronto on the 26th of August I believe, and there were already games going by the 28th/29th.

So what were even the rules there because that wasn't a strict quarantine.

Please don't derail another thread about the potential return of the 2020 season with your continual bitching about the Canadian Government rules about quarantine. There is a perfectly good Coronavirus thread to complain about them in there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Please don't derail another thread about the potential return of the 2020 season with your continual bitching about the Canadian Government rules about quarantine. There is a perfectly good Coronavirus thread to complain about them in there.

lol it's specifically relevant to this entire situation, there wasn't a 14 day quarantine for US teams coming into Canada for the bubble, so one has to wonder what exactly are the rules.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
lol it's specifically relevant to this entire situation, there wasn't a 14 day quarantine for US teams coming into Canada for the bubble, so one has to wonder what exactly are the rules.

Everyone knows there is a quarantine. Everyone in this forum knows you dont feel it is necessary to return to play. You are simply derailing another thread with your continual bitching about it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Everyone knows there is a quarantine. Everyone in this forum knows you dont feel it is necessary to return to play. You are simply derailing another thread with your continual bitching about it.

There wasn't one for the bubble, so no we don't even know what the rules are here.

Arriving on August 26th and playing games on the 28th is not a 14 day quarantine last time I checked.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

It's because they went into and stayed in a controlled bubble. That wouldn't be happening this time.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The other question is will the Canadian government even allows fans in arenas? Because right now the policy would be no.

There seems to be a lot of question marks, the NHL better get clarity on exactly what is and isn't allowed.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The other question is will the Canadian government even allows fans in arenas? Because right now the policy would be no.

There seems to be a lot of question marks, the NHL better get clarity on exactly what is and isn't allowed.

Pretty hard to get clarity in a fluid situation that changes daily. That's why you have about 5 different plans, do your due diligence as best as you can, and continue waiting till it's acceptable to have bums in the seats. They have no idea if/when a vaccine will be available, or testing methods that would be acceptable to let certain people in. Likely won't be playing till mid Jan early Feb at the earliest at this point. Lots can change before then.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Suffice to say we disagree. Not going to get into a COVID debate with you. The precedent has been set by the government with the MLB and there is a built in solution with an all Canadian division.

I don't even really understand what you're worried about. The Oilers were the best Canadian team in the league this past season and Toronto was the only other Canadian team in the top 1/2 of the league standings. If the Oilers can't make it out of a division that was really nothing but bubble teams at best, than they aren't very good.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I think it will come down to a province by province mandate. Ontario has banned bodychecking for the OHL. If they do that with the NHL then what? Do the Leafs and Sens relocate to QC for the season?

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

It's not up to the Canadian government whether fans will be allowed in arenas. It's up to provincial governments. Considering the response thus far from provinces across the country there aren't going to be fans in arenas until a vaccine is not only available, but widely distributed. Realistically the league can forget about fans in Canadian venues this upcoming season. Even if some provinces did make concessions for fans in buildings I think you'd be hard pressed to find many fans who are going to be willing to attend in any meaningful capacity.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's not up to the Canadian government whether fans will be allowed in arenas. It's up to provincial governments. Considering the response thus far from provinces across the country there aren't going to be fans in arenas until a vaccine is not only available, but widely distributed. Realistically the league can forget about fans in Canadian venues this upcoming season. Even if some provinces did make concessions for fans in buildings I think you'd be hard pressed to find many fans who are going to be willing to attend in any meaningful capacity.

If that's the case (and it may well be) you might as well have Canadian teams just move into the US for a year.

The whole point of playing in Canada is having access to the Canadian market at the gate.

If they're just playing in empty arenas, for starters that's really depressing compared to the US games which will have fans, secondly what's even the point of them being here.

Almost all these players don't even live in these cities year round, they're only here because of the hockey season, they may as well just have the family join them in a location like Vegas or Florida in that case. Doubt the families will complain.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think it will come down to a province by province mandate. Ontario has banned bodychecking for the OHL. If they do that with the NHL then what? Do the Leafs and Sens relocate to Ottawa for the season?

I assume you mean Quebec?

I think in that scenario you might as well just move Toronto and Ottawa to like Vancouver to cut down overall travel. Just the Habs would get screwed, lol.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I assume you mean Quebec?

I think in that scenario you might as well just move Toronto and Ottawa to like Vancouver to cut down overall travel. Just the Habs would get screwed, lol.

Yes QC sorry.

If they were allowing fans, that arena in QC would be filled to whatever capacity the government allows.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If that's the case (and it may well be) you might as well have Canadian teams just move into the US for a year.

The whole point of playing in Canada is having access to the Canadian market at the gate.

If they're just playing in empty arenas, for starters that's really depressing compared to the US games which will have fans, secondly what's even the point of them being here.

Almost all these players don't even live in these cities year round, they're only here because of the hockey season, they may as well just have the family join them in a location like Vegas or Florida in that case. Doubt the families will complain.

What makes you think the US games will have fans? A handful of NFL teams have fans because they have outdoor arenas.

But honestly, I don't give a f*** where they play. I just don't want teams flying all over the clusterf*** that is the USA and then crossing into Canada without proper quarantine protocols followed. If Canadian teams want to go down and play in Florida or Vegas go for it. Doesn't matter to me. Just know that it will put the players at far greater risk than if they were playing in a Canadian division.

Reactions: MixMasterMoose

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If there's not going to be fans allowed for Canadian teams, then I think the Canadian team players should be given a vote as to where they play.

It's a year out of their life, they should be allowed to have the say on where they want to stay (isolated in Canada or allowed to be in the US).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What makes you think the US games will have fans? A handful of NFL teams have fans because they have outdoor arenas.

But honestly, I don't give a f*** where they play. I just don't want teams flying all over the clusterf*** that is the USA and then crossing into Canada without proper quarantine protocols followed. If Canadian teams want to go down and play in Florida or Vegas go for it. Doesn't matter to me. Just know that it will put the players at far greater risk than if they were playing in a Canadian division.

The US has more lax rules, already has sporting events with crowds, and at the rate they're going will probably have some greater level of herd immunity by January/February (not something to be proud of but still).

I think cross border travel for NHL players should be allowed with strict stipulations that players get tested multiple times before re-entering the country and you can even go further and mandate players/staff have to stay at a local area hotel for a further 3-5 days if need be.

US teams coming into Canada should be multiple test for entry and several tests for days leading up to coming to Canada on top of strict quarantine rules -- they are allowed into a hotel, but players are not allowed to leave the hotel or rink when they are here.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad