Speculation: 2020-21 Season Rumors and Facts Thread

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Other leagues don't depend on gate revenue as much as the NHL so that's a big reason why they're taking longer to return and if the NBA didn't have that massive Christmas Day revenue, they'd likely start a lot later too.

If the owners weren't losing large sums of money due to no fans in the building, they wouldn't be asking for more concessions from the players and they'd likely be on track to return sooner. Other leagues don't have as much to lose with no gate revenue. I'm sure the massive COVID spike is playing a role too.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If they can't really do this without gate revenue then I'm thinking unfortunately this will be the setup

Season start in March with partial crowds (you're allowed in with a rapid COVID test you pay for or if you are vaccinated you're allowed in no fuss to 55% capacity of building)

Crowd size increases as season and vaccination totals rise

Regular season ends on July 23.

2 week break for Olympics

Playoffs start August 7th w/full crowds, proof of vaccination or negative COVID test at gate required.

Playoffs end mid/late September.

21-22 season starts in mid-November

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If they can't really do this without gate revenue then I'm thinking unfortunately this will be the setup

Season start in March with partial crowds (you're allowed in with a rapid COVID test you pay for or if you are vaccinated you're allowed in no fuss to 55% capacity of building)

Playoffs start August 7th w/full crowds, proof of vaccination or negative COVID test at gate required.

They don’t want to impact 2021/22 so I don’t believe they would entertain anything like that.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Good luck having players go risk injury in the olympics right before the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Good luck having players go risk injury in the olympics right before the playoffs.

Unless NHL players plan on competing in the summer Olympics, I don't think that's an issue, lol. The break would be for TV purposes, NBC will not want NHL playoffs on during Olympics.

Reactions: TB12

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They don’t want to impact 2021/22 so I don’t believe they would entertain anything like that.

The NHL says a lot of things like wanting to start 20-21 season on Dec. 1 ... no wait ... Jan. 1 .... uh did Jan. 15? Feb. 1? Who even knows now.

Quite frankly f*** Seattle, why should 30 other teams all have to cowtow to one franchise just because they're new.

Season starting in November versus October is not that big of a deal that somehow people in Seattle lose interest in NHL hockey for some reason.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The NHL says a lot of things like wanting to start 20-21 season on Dec. 1 ... no wait ... Jan. 1 .... uh did Jan. 15? Feb. 1? Who even knows now.

Quite frankly f*** Seattle, why should 30 other teams all have to cowtow to one franchise just because they're new.

Season starting in November versus October is not that big of a deal that somehow people in Seattle lose interest in NHL hockey for some reason.

650,000,000 reasons why they won’t say f*** Seattle.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
650,000,000 reasons why they won’t say f*** Seattle.

I mean it's not like hockey tastes extra sweeter if it starts in October versus November, I understand they would prefer a normal season, but there's absolutely no real functional difference if the season starts in November and ends in late June instead.

It's not they're doing something bizarre like moving the 21-22 season to start in March and run through August.

COVID is a once in a century event, so yeah, Seattle you can wait an extra few weeks.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Here I was getting ready to celebrate Valentine’s Day next week.

il_570xN.1960147340_ea50.jpg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I mean it's not like hockey tastes extra sweeter if it starts in October versus November, I understand they would prefer a normal season, but there's absolutely no real functional difference if the season starts in November and ends in late June instead.

It's not they're doing something bizarre like moving the 21-22 season to start in March and run through August.

COVID is a once in a century event, so yeah, Seattle you can wait an extra few weeks.

No real reason other than they don't want Covid to impact 3 seasons instead of two and it means a more compressed schedule in 2022 when the winter Olympics take place, 3 weeks which the NHL has committed to attend pending costs being covered (paraphrasing) and zero NHL games.

They will start 2021-22 on time come hell or high water.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad