Speculation: 2020-21 Season Rumors and Facts Thread

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Nhl got some shit lawyers. Like you’d think they would’ve thought of a scenario where maybe society had to lockdown again(there was talk of a second wave all summer) and they could’ve written in a clause or some sort of alternative procedure in the new CBA and memorandum of understanding. They could’ve just put in the deferral part or any other way agreed upon by the NHLPA. I understand it could’ve taken them longer but they would be avoiding this public drama right now. Millionaires squabbling over millions looks bad especially with all the lockdowns.

Yeah, it's kind of embarassing. The ownership group who've seemed to be two steps ahead of the players in readiness since the 2004 lockup, really messed this one up. The players were well ahead of the owners on this one and it was kind of obvious from the beginning that there was too much hope on the owners side to make this actually work.

Reactions: qannon97979

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City

hqdefault.jpg

You don't say.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I would be shocked if the season even started at any time in January

Yeah, the January month seems all but lost pretty soon here. 3-5 weeks minimum will be needed from the signing of an agreement to the start of play, and tomorrow is already December 1st.

The best explanation I have heard so far is that the NHL owners don't actually want a longer season, and want a pro-rated 42 game season (where they pay) and an expanded playoff (where they don't pay). This is their end game, so they are purposefully giving the players offers they know the players won't accept right now. Negotiations go on for a while, with the start of the season being pushed back the entire time. Then once they only have time to play 42 games, the owners "cave" and give the players a better offer. It sounds like a conspiracy, but in reality, if the owners don't want more games, it would be a really smart negotiating tactic.

Reactions: Chabot84

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They're totally going to f*** this up and force themselves to have to take a 2 week break in-season because of the Olympics aren't they?

Wouldn't be the NHL if they at least didn't flirt with the idea of being the dumbest so-called "major" pro sports league.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I hope I am dead wrong. I actually haven't been following anything hockey the last month. This pandemic discussion and the news, kids, etc keep me so busy. I really want it back though. Nice distraction. Would be great if they could by Jan 15th

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yeah, the January month seems all but lost pretty soon here. 3-5 weeks minimum will be needed from the signing of an agreement to the start of play, and tomorrow is already December 1st.

The best explanation I have heard so far is that the NHL owners don't actually want a longer season, and want a pro-rated 42 game season (where they pay) and an expanded playoff (where they don't pay). This is their end game, so they are purposefully giving the players offers they know the players won't accept right now. Negotiations go on for a while, with the start of the season being pushed back the entire time. Then once they only have time to play 42 games, the owners "cave" and give the players a better offer. It sounds like a conspiracy, but in reality, if the owners don't want more games, it would be a really smart negotiating tactic.

sounds like they watched how the baseball negotiations played out.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Bettman and Fehr trying to figure this out like the brainiac negotiators they claim to be.

Bettman; "Hey Don, we gotta talk"
Fehr; "Why, is the schedule ready for approval?"
Bettman; "Ummmm, not exactly. Some of the owners have been calling me and they say Covid is way worse than they figured"
Fehr: "Yes Gary, I read the papers, where are you going with this exactly?"
Bettman: "Welllll, after talking to them, they figured we kind rushed into things back in summer with the whole CBA thing and we need a bit of a better deal."
Fehr: "How much is a bit?"
Bettman: "Mmmmmmm, yeah, we were figuring about 300."
Fehr: "Thousand?"
Bettman: "Million."
Fehr: ---silence---
Bettman; "You there Don?"
Fehr; "Million?"
Bettman: "Yeah, million. Covid is just way worse than we figured it would be."
Fehr: "The scientists you hired said there would be a way worse second wave, thats why we wanted to be done by late August and so we could have the fall off. That is exactly what happened."
Bettman: "Yeah we know all that but the impact of playing without fans is way worse than even we thought."
Fehr: "Cant your accountants add?"
Bettman: "Welp, yeah, its not that, some of our guys also own NBA franchises and the NBA owners got a way better deal than us NHL owners did. Cash flow is tight, so we want you to defer a bit more money, thats all. We will still pay it, just later."
Fehr: "How much later?"
Bettman: "I dunno, 2, 3 maybe 4 years. Oh and escrow goes up in those years too. We underestimated how long this is going to take"
Fehr: "Gary we have a deal"
Bettman: "Well, not exactly, its just a memorandum of understanding and we need you to understand we need a better deal"
Fehr: "I don't think we can do this Gary. What is in it for us?"
Bettman: "You get to play hockey and collect pay checks. You know a lot of people are hurting out there right now and it will look bad if your guys don't play ball."
Fehr: "You know what looks worse Gary? Making a deal and then backing out as soon as you have the first chance. We won't do it."
Bettman: "Then we will stay closed till Covid is over and escrow should be about 40% once we restart.
Fehr:"Fine, we won't play"
Bettman: "Fine, we will lose way less not playing."
Fehr: "Your an asshole Gary"
Bettman: "I know you are but what am I?"
Fehr: "An even bigger asshole. Your a jerk too"
Bettman: "I know you are but what am I?"
Fehr: "I know you are but what am I?"
Bettman: "Your mom stinks too"
Fehr: "Not as much as your mom"
Bettman: "If you insult my mom again I am hanging up."
Fehr: --- click---
Bettman: "No I hung up first!!!" ---click---

Bill Daly:"How did it go with Donald?"
Bettman: "Great, we are getting in an 82 game schedule starting January 1. Don't tell the media yet though. And Bill, did you dispose of those rigged Rangers and Leafs lottery balls the way I told you to? The country is awash in crazy conspiracy theories right now, and if it ever gets out and we get caught, our 7 fans in Arizona would kill us."

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
They're totally going to f*** this up and force themselves to have to take a 2 week break in-season because of the Olympics aren't they?

Wouldn't be the NHL if they at least didn't flirt with the idea of being the dumbest so-called "major" pro sports league.

I would be willing to bet a gross amount of money that there is in no way that the Olympics will be played Summer 2021. I would suspect they do a Winter/Summer 2022

Reactions: boredem

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would be willing to bet a gross amount of money that there is in no way that the Olympics will be played Summer 2021. I would suspect they do a Winter/Summer 2022

Nah the summer games are a definite go. Vaccines will be widely available by late July. Japan already delayed by a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad