GDT: 2020-21 season game 39 LA Kings vs San Jose Sharks @7:30m 4/9/21

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
Winning the cup was 2 months of bliss during the playoffs, and ball breaking regular seasons. For a team that's won two cups in the last decade, it sucks as fans that our teams have been disappointing during the regular season for many years.

Fire TMac and make trades. This is the way.
Yes, surely the 5th coach in 4 years will finally be the difference that turns this team around.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
What coach is going to make chicken salad out of chicken shit? The roster is just chock full of crap.

You have a few older vets who still carry this team afloat, and some decent depth guys. This team has no second line support, and zero offense from the blueline outside of Doughty.

A coaching change will accomplish nothing with this crappy roster.

This team is farther away than I expected at the beginning of the year. It would have been nice to get the initial culture shock out of the way for Byfield, now that is probably going to have to happen next season. I don't think either of Kaliyev or Turcotte are going to be ready next season, not the end of the world but one of them being a 2nd liner next season would have been nice. Who knows with Vilardi, he is going to need to play with certain types of players to be reach his potential, and right now the Kings just don't have those types of wingers.

I still just don't get what Blake is doing other than accumulating a bunch of prospects. When is a reasonable time to expect the Kings to return to the playoffs? Is it 2022-2023? well if so, just know that Kopitar will be 35 when that season starts, the same age Carter was when this one started.

Jun 30, 2006
What coach is going to make chicken salad out of chicken shit? The roster is just chock full of crap.

You have a few older vets who still carry this team afloat, and some decent depth guys. This team has no second line support, and zero offense from the blueline outside of Doughty.

A coaching change will accomplish nothing with this crappy roster.

The heat should be on management, not the coaching staff.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
That is a pretty good amount, no?

How many other teams have five players that were on their roster at the end of the 2014 season?

Tampa
Hedman, Stamkos, Palat, Johnson, Kucherov, Vaselisky, Stamkos, Kilorn

Bruins
Bergeron, Marchand, Rask, Krejic, Miller

Stars
Seguin, Benn,

Preds
Elkholm, Josi, Ellis, Forsberg, Rinne, Sissons

Isles
Hickey, Clutterbuck, Cizikas, Martin, Nelson, Lee, Mayfield

Pens
Malkin, Letang, Crosby, Dumolin

Washington
Ovi, Backstrom, Orlov, Carlson, Kuneztov, Wilson

Sharks
Couture, Hertl, Burns,

Columbus
Foligno, Atkinson, Savard, Jenner

Flyers
Giroux, Voracek, Raffl, Couturier

Last edited:

JTeller97

Dec 25, 2020
This season was always going to hinge on whether Carter could bounce back and if Vilardi could emerge as a legit top 6 player, unfortunately the opposite of those things happened. I do think there are positives from this year however. Doughty and Kopitar are still elite core players and I think our backend has become at least solid going forward even without trading for a LHD.

Anderson-Doughty
Clague-Roy
Bjornfot-Walker

Petersen

Is formidable and a hell of a lot better than what it was in going into last year.

This team is in desperate need of top 6 forwards. I would argue we currently only have one true top 6 forward, with respect to Kempe, Brown, and Iafallo they're all 3rd liners on a contender. Hopefully some of the kids can step in and make an impact next year, but we are going to have to acquire probably 2 quality forwards this offseason if we're serious about the playoffs next year.
I think RNH and Mantha are a good place to start. I'd also like to what AA could do with Kopi if AI gets dealt (which he should be if we cant get him signed by Monday) AA kinda reminds of the twilight years Gaborik which obviously worked well with Anze.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
All DL did for the first few years was accumulate prospects. He also inherited Kopitar. He also didn't have the burden of past success on the roster.

Top 5 scorers between 06-07 and 08-09:
Kopitar, 19-21 years old
Frolov, 24-26
Brown, 22-24
Cammalleri, 24-25
O'Sullivan, 21-23

One acquired by DL. Average age, 22-24.

Top 5 scorers between 18-19 and 20-21:
Kopitar, 31-33
Doughty, 29-31
Brown, 34-36
Iafallo, 25-27
Kempe, 22-24

One acquired by Blake. Average age, 28-30.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Tampa
Hedman, Stamkos, Palat, Johnson, Kucherov, Vaselisky, Stamkos, Kilorn

Bruins
Bergeron, Marchand, Rask, Krejic, Miller

Stars
Seguin, Benn,

Preds
Elkholm, Josi, Ellis, Forsberg, Rinne, Sissons

Isles
Hickey, Clutterbuck, Cizikas, Martin, Nelson, Lee, Mayfield

Pens
Malkin, Letang, Crosby, Dumolin

Washington
Ovi, Backstrom, Orlov, Carlson, Kuneztov, Wilson

Sharks
Couture, Hertl, Burns,

Columbus
Foligno, Atkinson, Savard, Jenner

Flyers
Giroux, Voracek, Raffl, Couturier
Thank you for doing what I was unwilling to. ;)

Reactions: Docgonzo

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
On the plus side everyone gets to see in real time how valuable Matt Roy is, along with Bjornfot.

Just like before when we lost Roy/Walker, this team isn't good enough yet to weather losing those guys Roy/Bjornfot. Glad to see Clague looking really strong but a 2nd pairing Macdermid and a 3rd pairing 'whatever is left' isn't really much of anything but a white flag.

And then the season-long issue, of course, was trying to weather that as well as not having a 2C--Carter faded to the grave, Vilardi couldn't take it and hold it, JAD is awesome but isn't quite enough for that role especially with the everlong search for support.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
If you have the game recorded, check with 14:00 left in 3rd...Doughty has the puck behind Kings net and Carter is 15 feet up boards to Doughty's right and Drew looks at him and can easily pass it to him and he instead goes up the middle with a very dangerous pass instead....that fails and could have resulted in a steal....and later on PP, could pass to Carter again and goes for another option that is low percentage. I think players are tired of 77 failure's and ineptness at handling the puck and making plays with it....this is not good for the team or the room. Players not believing in each other...and part of that, is that there are players that simply cannot perform adequately. Go watch this and see yourself. It's going to get worse, too.

Oh, Lizotte is terrible. Unless NHL player success is ONLY skating hard and working hard and nothing else.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
All DL did for the first few years was accumulate prospects. He also inherited Kopitar. He also didn't have the burden of past success on the roster.

Top 5 scorers between 06-07 and 08-09:
Kopitar, 19-21 years old
Frolov, 24-26
Brown, 22-24
Cammalleri, 24-25
O'Sullivan, 21-23

One acquired by DL. Average age, 22-24.

Top 5 scorers between 18-19 and 20-21:
Kopitar, 31-33
Doughty, 29-31
Brown, 34-36
Iafallo, 25-27
Kempe, 22-24

One acquired by Blake. Average age, 28-30.
And DL made a lot of bad moves in his first few years.

Hires a bad coach in Crawford who he has to fire a year later.

Trades a 2nd and 3rd for Cloutier. Gives him an extension.

His first 3 1st round picks:
Bernier (bust)
Lewis (4th liner)
Hickey (bust)

His first big trades:
Demitra for O'Sullivan (bust)
Gleason for Johnson (bust)

Not much went right for Lombardi in his first few years. He was finally able to get it turned around and get value for Johnson/O'Sullivan.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
And DL made a lot of bad moves in his first few years.

Hires a bad coach in Crawford who he has to fire a year later.

Trades a 2nd and 3rd for Cloutier. Gives him an extension.

His first 3 1st round picks:
Bernier (bust)
Lewis (4th liner)
Hickey (bust)

His first big trades:
Demitra for O'Sullivan (bust)
Gleason for Johnson (bust)

Not much went right for Lombardi in his first few years. He was finally able to get it turned around and get value for Johnson/O'Sullivan.

Also had to wait six years for the first playoff series win. These rebuilds, they take time.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
You know what DL did the first two years? He Let the kids play and focused on cleaning out the flunkies who ran the country club. By the time he swept out the crap, the kids figured out the nhl, despite whatever Coach was there, and were ready to actually make the playoffs. The rest was history.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
You know what DL did the first two years? He Let the kids play and focused on cleaning out the flunkies who ran the country club. By the time he swept out the crap, the kids figured out the nhl, despite whatever Coach was there, and were ready to actually make the playoffs. The rest was history.

I don't think that's accurate. In his first 2 years, DL brought in Thornton, Lundmark, Heward, Modry, Willsie, Mccauley, Blake, Nagy, Preissing, Handzus, Stuart, Calder, Cloutier, Klemm.

The few kids were pretty well insulated with veteran roster fillers.

Between the two of them, Blake's the one letting the kids play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad