GDT: 2020-21 season game 28 LA Kings vs St. Louis Blues 7:00pm 3/17/21

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Kings' started by kingsboy11, Mar 17, 2021.

1. johnjm22 16,005

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    When Quick gets back from being injured, he might find himself being the official backup goalie.

I've been critical of JAD as prospect, but he's surprised me. You can tell he's been putting in work on his game. He's playing with great decisiveness. I don't recall him having such a high motor.

Haven't heard him say it, but Doughty has worked on his shot in the offseason. It's much more controlled and disciplined. He's shortened that back swing.

2. unicornpig Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    sadly the guy is done.

3. terrorinthebang We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    It’s delightful to see you pop your little elf head in for 1 post per game. Not more than 1, just 1. :laugh:

[​IMG]

LT Dan likes this.
  4. Peter James Bond III #KUPARI2022CALDER

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He will never be Carter of 3+ years ago. He's a shell of himself and just going on his 'know how ' and experience to play out there.
    Know-how and experience can't cut it. The first 3-4 games, he looked more energized and engaged, but that ended quickly.
    He's pretty much done. 36 and so many injuries. Comes a time for all players.

The question is, what do you do? I can see the Kings bringing up 1 of: Kupari, Kaliyev or maybe Fagemo NOW
    and putting with Vilardi and AA and seeing something better, than that line is now.

This will eventually change. Too many studs on the farm. Not even mentioning Turcotte, Byfield, Madden, or Thomas.
    How do you transition Carter out? There is no 'graceful' way to.

5. unicornpig Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    with so man kids playing well, wonder who kings protect in the expansion draft.

6. TruKingFan Two-Time Cup Winner

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Imagine that...from the captain that doesn’t “have it in him” to lead the club according to one (or some). LOL.

7. WHOneedsSOX Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Aren't most of them exempt? My biggest question would be what they do with the goalies. Can only protect one. Would Seattle take Quick? Would the kings trade them something so they don't?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  8. unicornpig Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    youre right, feel better now. protect peterson no question.

9. Little Psycho Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Doughty has mentioned that he practiced his shots a lot during the covid lockdown.
    Can't believe it has taken him a decade plus to finally have a good shot, but I guess better late than never

BringTheReign likes this.
  10. kilowatt Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    With one year left on his contract, you don't worry about it. Carter at worst can be a decent fourth liner and his cap hit doesnt hurt us. If there are twelve guys better than him next season, he can watch some games from the press box.

I think next year's Reign roster will look pretty close to this year's, except for maybe Byfield in LA (there's no way we send him back to Sudbury). We've spent plenty of games this season playing Amadio, Luff, Wagner, and the like. If our worst player is Jeff Carter, we're in great shape.

Also, I think we should re-sign Brown on one-year contracts for as long as he still produces.

11. johnjm22 16,005

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Carter isn't playing great, but he's not playing as bad as people are implying.

His shooting percentage is currently 6.1% which suggests his lack of production is somewhat flukey. His corsi relative is still positive.

He's still generating a lot of shots on goal (81). Which leads the team. We'll likely see an increase in his scoring production moving forward.

12. Docgonzo Triple Crown Line

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Wait Kopitar went to the coach and wanted the team to skate? I thought he wasn’t leadership material....

13. kingsholygrail Yabai! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Product Support
    Carter will likely retire after next year. He's only got one year left.

14. Schmooley Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Are you watching the games or just looking at stats? He doesnt do much out there and gets a lot of playing time.

YAYSAy and J Smoove like this.
  15. Schmooley Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    There are twelve guys better than him this year. His leadership and experience are mainly what hes bringing to the team. Cant be his performance thats for sure. If Frk was healthy Id hope hed be on the 2nd line instead of Carter.
    He is not playing any better than Wagner Luff and Lizotte. Though to be fair Iafallo isnt either.

Peter James Bond II likes this.
  16. KingsFan7824 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    The win makes the next game meaningful. A loss would've meant 7pts back with 1 game in hand.

17. cyclones22 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Carter was bad last night. He either didn't dump the puck deep enough into the zone or made poor passes which weren't clean and resulted in change of possession. The decision making was just lackluster. He somehow got a lot more time than his linemates though.

Re:JAD the FO has been high on him for quite a while. He has been a key talking point at events and I think was a guest at the Turcotte/Tobi draft party. He was featured prominently. I saw the wheels, but wasn't sure of the total package. The FO has been grooming him as an all situations forward and I think they've nailed it. On top of the skating, he makes moves with the puck and passes that only good players can do. Perfect middle sixer.

18. LAKings88 Go Kings Go!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Nice to have meaningful games again.

19. ibleedkings Make LA Great Again!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Carter is really dragging Vilardi down. Switch it up TM.

20. SFKingshomer Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I like Carter better at center and would like to see him moved there when Frk returns...

Kempe-Vilardi-Frk
    Grundstrom-Carter-JAD
    Moore-Lizzotte-Luff

21. Raccoon Jesus President of Vilardi Fan Club

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Real Estate
    Goal for the season pretty well accomplished at this point, just wanted to be in the playoff chase. If we can make it to the week in april where we play VGK VGK COL before dropping off the map, I'll be happy.

But Kings also have had one of the roughest schedules so far. 4 of the next 6 are against VGK, which will look like it hurts, but still many remaining vs:

6 vs. SJS
    5 vs. Arizona
    5 vs. Anaheim

Might be off by one or two since i just took a quick calendar glance. But those are 'must wins,' the VGK games are bonus points as far as I'm concerned, getting 2 of 8 points would be great, root for them and Colorado to win in regulation vs. everyone else. Blues and Wild are who we're after, Arizona and SJS are who we're trying to push down. And depending on what's happened at that point (trade deadline etc), these three teams may be in tank mode.

LAKings88, cyclones22 and YP44 like this.
  22. YP44 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I thought I read somewhere that he said that's all he could do is practice his shot. Either way guy is hitting the net which is more important than having a bomb.

23. tny760 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    while i feel like sometimes shooting percentage is a good stat i think it's a bit misleading with him in this situation.. i feel like he's taking a lot of low-percentage shots where he just kinda flings the puck on net. obviously that's a good thing if you're playing for a rebound chance but it seems like he's usually the only one up and it's just a meaningless shot, so the low s% seems in line. that said, there's clearly just not a lot of cohesion with that line, most chances seem to be individual efforts instead of cycles or passing plays like we see from say, grundstrom's line

i'm not ready to make carter the scapegoat here basically, but that line as a whole needs work

YAYSAy, J Smoove and LT Dan like this.
  24. YP44 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I liked that line better as Kempe-Vilardi-Carter

25. johnjm22 16,005

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He's always taken low percentage shots. He's a volume shooter. His career average shooting percentage is 11.4%. I don't expect his percentage to get back to that level, but even if got back to where it was last year (9.3%), he'd be scoring at a 20 goal pace.

I'm not saying his play hasn't declined. It has. I just think people are exaggerating a bit.

I agree that line has cohesion issues. Nobody wants to criticize Vilardi's play, but he's just not a good NHL center right now.

tny760 likes this.