GDT: 2020-21 season game 28 LA Kings vs St. Louis Blues 7:00pm 3/17/21

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
When Quick gets back from being injured, he might find himself being the official backup goalie.

I've been critical of JAD as prospect, but he's surprised me. You can tell he's been putting in work on his game. He's playing with great decisiveness. I don't recall him having such a high motor.

Haven't heard him say it, but Doughty has worked on his shot in the offseason. It's much more controlled and disciplined. He's shortened that back swing.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Where's Carter been?

It’s delightful to see you pop your little elf head in for 1 post per game. Not more than 1, just 1. :laugh:

23236be9cf0f9c32370c9ac4eb119d09_w200.gif

Reactions: Lt Dan

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Where's Carter been?

He will never be Carter of 3+ years ago. He's a shell of himself and just going on his 'know how ' and experience to play out there.
Know-how and experience can't cut it. The first 3-4 games, he looked more energized and engaged, but that ended quickly.
He's pretty much done. 36 and so many injuries. Comes a time for all players.

The question is, what do you do? I can see the Kings bringing up 1 of: Kupari, Kaliyev or maybe Fagemo NOW
and putting with Vilardi and AA and seeing something better, than that line is now.

This will eventually change. Too many studs on the farm. Not even mentioning Turcotte, Byfield, Madden, or Thomas.
How do you transition Carter out? There is no 'graceful' way to.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
with so man kids playing well, wonder who kings protect in the expansion draft.
Aren't most of them exempt? My biggest question would be what they do with the goalies. Can only protect one. Would Seattle take Quick? Would the kings trade them something so they don't?

Last edited:

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Aren't most of them exempt? My biggest question would be what they do with the goalies. Can only protect one. Would Seattle take Quick? Would the kings trade them sometime so they don't?
youre right, feel better now. protect peterson no question.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
When Quick gets back from being injured, he might find himself being the official backup goalie.

I've been critical of JAD as prospect, but he's surprised me. You can tell he's been putting in work on his game. He's playing with great decisiveness. I don't recall him having such a high motor.

Haven't heard him say it, but Doughty has worked on his shot in the offseason. It's much more controlled and disciplined. He's shortened that back swing.

Doughty has mentioned that he practiced his shots a lot during the covid lockdown.
Can't believe it has taken him a decade plus to finally have a good shot, but I guess better late than never

Reactions: BringTheReign

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
He will never be Carter of 3+ years ago. He's a shell of himself and just going on his 'know how ' and experience to play out there.
Know-how and experience can't cut it. The first 3-4 games, he looked more energized and engaged, but that ended quickly.
He's pretty much done. 36 and so many injuries. Comes a time for all players.

The question is, what do you do? I can see the Kings bringing up 1 of: Kupari, Kaliyev or maybe Fagemo NOW
and putting with Vilardi and AA and seeing something better, than that line is now.

This will eventually change. Too many studs on the farm. Not even mentioning Turcotte, Byfield, Madden, or Thomas.
How do you transition Carter out? There is no 'graceful' way to.

With one year left on his contract, you don't worry about it. Carter at worst can be a decent fourth liner and his cap hit doesnt hurt us. If there are twelve guys better than him next season, he can watch some games from the press box.

I think next year's Reign roster will look pretty close to this year's, except for maybe Byfield in LA (there's no way we send him back to Sudbury). We've spent plenty of games this season playing Amadio, Luff, Wagner, and the like. If our worst player is Jeff Carter, we're in great shape.

Also, I think we should re-sign Brown on one-year contracts for as long as he still produces.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Carter isn't playing great, but he's not playing as bad as people are implying.

His shooting percentage is currently 6.1% which suggests his lack of production is somewhat flukey. His corsi relative is still positive.

He's still generating a lot of shots on goal (81). Which leads the team. We'll likely see an increase in his scoring production moving forward.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

His shooting percentage is currently 6.1% which suggests his lack of production is somewhat flukey. His corsi relative is still positive.

He's still generating a lot of shots on goal (81). Which leads the team. We'll likely see an increase in his scoring production moving forward.
Are you watching the games or just looking at stats? He doesnt do much out there and gets a lot of playing time.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
With one year left on his contract, you don't worry about it. Carter at worst can be a decent fourth liner and his cap hit doesnt hurt us. If there are twelve guys better than him next season, he can watch some games from the press box.

I think next year's Reign roster will look pretty close to this year's, except for maybe Byfield in LA (there's no way we send him back to Sudbury). We've spent plenty of games this season playing Amadio, Luff, Wagner, and the like. If our worst player is Jeff Carter, we're in great shape.
There are twelve guys better than him this year. His leadership and experience are mainly what hes bringing to the team. Cant be his performance thats for sure. If Frk was healthy Id hope hed be on the 2nd line instead of Carter.
He is not playing any better than Wagner Luff and Lizotte. Though to be fair Iafallo isnt either.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Carter was bad last night. He either didn't dump the puck deep enough into the zone or made poor passes which weren't clean and resulted in change of possession. The decision making was just lackluster. He somehow got a lot more time than his linemates though.

Re:JAD the FO has been high on him for quite a while. He has been a key talking point at events and I think was a guest at the Turcotte/Tobi draft party. He was featured prominently. I saw the wheels, but wasn't sure of the total package. The FO has been grooming him as an all situations forward and I think they've nailed it. On top of the skating, he makes moves with the puck and passes that only good players can do. Perfect middle sixer.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I like Carter better at center and would like to see him moved there when Frk returns...

Kempe-Vilardi-Frk
Grundstrom-Carter-JAD
Moore-Lizzotte-Luff

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Nice to have meaningful games again.

Goal for the season pretty well accomplished at this point, just wanted to be in the playoff chase. If we can make it to the week in april where we play VGK VGK COL before dropping off the map, I'll be happy.

But Kings also have had one of the roughest schedules so far. 4 of the next 6 are against VGK, which will look like it hurts, but still many remaining vs:

6 vs. SJS
5 vs. Arizona
5 vs. Anaheim

Might be off by one or two since i just took a quick calendar glance. But those are 'must wins,' the VGK games are bonus points as far as I'm concerned, getting 2 of 8 points would be great, root for them and Colorado to win in regulation vs. everyone else. Blues and Wild are who we're after, Arizona and SJS are who we're trying to push down. And depending on what's happened at that point (trade deadline etc), these three teams may be in tank mode.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I thought I read somewhere that he said that's all he could do is practice his shot. Either way guy is hitting the net which is more important than having a bomb.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

while i feel like sometimes shooting percentage is a good stat i think it's a bit misleading with him in this situation.. i feel like he's taking a lot of low-percentage shots where he just kinda flings the puck on net. obviously that's a good thing if you're playing for a rebound chance but it seems like he's usually the only one up and it's just a meaningless shot, so the low s% seems in line. that said, there's clearly just not a lot of cohesion with that line, most chances seem to be individual efforts instead of cycles or passing plays like we see from say, grundstrom's line

i'm not ready to make carter the scapegoat here basically, but that line as a whole needs work

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
while i feel like sometimes shooting percentage is a good stat i think it's a bit misleading with him in this situation.. i feel like he's taking a lot of low-percentage shots where he just kinda flings the puck on net. obviously that's a good thing if you're playing for a rebound chance but it seems like he's usually the only one up and it's just a meaningless shot, so the low s% seems in line. that said, there's clearly just not a lot of cohesion with that line, most chances seem to be individual efforts instead of cycles or passing plays like we see from say, grundstrom's line

i'm not ready to make carter the scapegoat here basically, but that line as a whole needs work

I liked that line better as Kempe-Vilardi-Carter

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

He's always taken low percentage shots. He's a volume shooter. His career average shooting percentage is 11.4%. I don't expect his percentage to get back to that level, but even if got back to where it was last year (9.3%), he'd be scoring at a 20 goal pace.

I'm not saying his play hasn't declined. It has. I just think people are exaggerating a bit.

I agree that line has cohesion issues. Nobody wants to criticize Vilardi's play, but he's just not a good NHL center right now.

Reactions: tny760

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad