GDT: 2020-21 season game 25 LA Kings vs Anaheim Ducks @6:30pm 3/10/21

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Athanasiou is playing at the level of a star winger. The amount of scoring chances he generates at even strength relative to his ice time is very high.

Had it not been for COVID taking him out of his rhythm, his stats would look much better right now. Still scoring at a 29 goal pace though.

His play is almost too good to be true. It will be interesting to see what management decides to do with him.
Sign Athanasiou the Kings have no one with his blazing speed and scoring touch

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
This was the game I was expecting to see a couple nights ago. Between Gibson bobbling the puck and the atrocious Ducks team defence, we could have easily seen LA get 8 or 9 last night. Like RJ said, 3 of 4 points in any 2 game series is fine by me.

Just like I’m happy with a slight overpay if it’s necessary to keep Iafallo, a slight overpay to keep AA in the middle 6 for a couple more years is fine by me.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Sign Athanasiou the Kings have no one with his blazing speed and scoring touch

I was worried about the -45 year he had and not being capable of playing defensively, but he has not been a liability on the other side of the puck.
He backchecks and is ok on the boards as well....makes some good hits, too.

He also makes good passes like on his goal last night. The 2 on 1 with Carter, slipped a great pass to him, through 2 Ducks. Carter got a decent shot off, but was too close in,
but AA cut through to the net fast and got the rebound. He has excellent instincts. Actually, Kempe has blazing speed and now has a scoring touch.
I hope they sign AA. I think he should get more PP time too...and be on the first 3 on 3 unit in OT. Put him, Kempe and Doughty out there.

AA missed a lot of games due to covid...and the 6 goals in 17 games, is a 28 goal / 82 game season.

Reactions: andys and KingTech

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This was the game I was expecting to see a couple nights ago. Between Gibson bobbling the puck and the atrocious Ducks team defence, we could have easily seen LA get 8 or 9 last night. Like RJ said, 3 of 4 points in any 2 game series is fine by me.
Prior to last night, the Ducks had played 8 straight 1 goal games.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I was worried about the -45 year he had and not being capable of playing defensively, but he has not been a liability on the other side of the puck.
He backchecks and is ok on the boards as well....makes some good hits, too.

He also makes good passes like on his goal last night. The 2 on 1 with Carter, slipped a great pass to him, through 2 Ducks. Carter got a decent shot off, but was too close in,
but AA cut through to the net fast and got the rebound. He has excellent instincts. Actually, Kempe has blazing speed and now has a scoring touch.
I hope they sign AA. I think he should get more PP time too...and be on the first 3 on 3 unit in OT. Put him, Kempe and Doughty out there.

AA missed a lot of games due to covid...and the 6 goals in 17 games, is a 28 goal / 82 game season.
For a time I thought LA brought young Kempe over too soon from Sweden? I think the one-timer from great Kopi-Star passes has everything to do with it!The Kings should have paired them up years ago!

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
For a time I thought LA brought young Kempe over too soon from Sweden? I think the one-timer from great Kopi-Star passes has everything to do with it!The Kings should have paired them up years ago!

What I would love to see...is to get Grundstrom back to where he was a few weeks ago - and that was with JAD and Moore. Whoever plays with : Lizotte / Amadio / Luff / Wagner does not do well. Period. Or any 2 of those together. All of them should / will be gone by next year, as the Kings have way more talent about to push through; or acquire a good 3rd / 4th line player that is better than those.

Once JAD comes back, it should be Grundstrom and Moore playing together again. They were the best bottom 6 line I have seen on the Kings in years. The perfect bottom 6 would be like this, but more toughness, but that's not available.

I would like to see Kempe Andersson Grundstrom, honestly. 3 Swedes. You would see a much better Andersson; or at least his best.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego

Just like I’m happy with a slight overpay if it’s necessary to keep Iafallo, a slight overpay to keep AA in the middle 6 for a couple more years is fine by me.

Would rather overpay for AA than Iafallo...only if the terms were short, <= 3 years.

Reactions: andys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad