Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Fair enough. Players with a proven track record are worth more than those that don't.

I think it depends on the track record, contract situation, where they are at in their careers and potential future value. I think there are a lot of "if's" when determining a players value. For a good example, Brownie has a proven track record and is even leading the team in goals this year, yet most people are in favor of exposing him.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
If you had to pick whos been more noticeable between Moore and Andersson you'd pick Moore all day long. I think Andersson would be best suited to going down and spending the season with the other kids on the Reign. Play a bigger role down there, be a difference maker rather than just another bottom 6 forward for the kings playing 12 minutes a night where errors get you benched.

You're right, but I wasn't comparing Andersson and Moore :D

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I think it depends on the track record, contract situation, where they are at in their careers and potential future value. I think there are a lot of "if's" when determining a players value. For a good example, Brownie has a proven track record and is even leading the team in goals this year, yet most people are in favor of exposing him.
Sure enough. But none of the players we are talking about are at the end of their careers. I want to keep everyone but unfortunately Seattle will get someone.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Yes but sadly he can be replaced. We all know he's not a world beater out there.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Big picture, big picture. Walker's current value (assuming no issues from his injury) in the league is way higher than either Grundstrom or Andersson. RHD is momentarily a team strength but highly prized around the league. That's asset management. Now, if Grundstrom and/or Andersson start to show more -- then yeah, you keep them. There are plenty of teams that will trade grit for skill.

Pretty much.

I don't know how you have been suppressing this rant for a long time when he has only played 11 games with a brand new team and also without the benefit of a preseason to get up to speed. Way too early to throw in the towel now, much less any time before now.

Beyond that, I don't know how this could be viewed as bad asset management. He is a 22 year old former lottery pick who captained his WJC and had been playing decently back in Sweden. It is well worth taking that risk with the 60th overall pick even if he doesn't work out. This is the kind of low risk/high reward move the Kings should be making now that they have such a stacked prospect pool. For reference, with his 1 goal this season, Lias has already scored more points than 33 of the 52 players drafted at 60th overall, which was the pick traded to acquire him.

Because Lias Andersson has played more than 11 games in his career? Because Lias Andersson has played more than 11 games this year? Because for the last few years Lias has left people wanting more? IDK what to tell you, players struggle and you can see something. Vilardi was amazing last game in the first period. Was complete ghost the rest of the game. But what you see in the first makes you think "Wow this guy puts it all together he can be something". The positives for Lias? "He is gritty" "he tries hard!" Sorry, that is easily replaceable on the waiver wire. Hell Lepsic had those skills (along with a lot more baggage!).

Grit with skill might be the most prized commodity around the league. If Tonka or Lias develop an offensive game they immediately become significantly more valuable then Walker. Guys like Josh Anderson or Brady Tkachuk are only going to continue to grow in value as the league overcorrects towards soft skill.

LOLOL now you are comparing him to Brady Tkachuk?! I'll raise you one and say Walker brings steady defense like Cale Makar!!! Would you prefer Lias Andersson over Cale Makar?!?!!?

If you want to see how hard "Grit" is to secure, look no further than Patrick Maroon. Who played for 4 teams in 4 years leading up to winning the cup with the Lightning. And signed for 900k this year. Clifford signed for 1 mil, Simmonds 1.5, Kevan Millar (Defensement) signed for 1.25, Bogosian/Schenn/Chara/Sbisa all for a million or less (not that I'd sign any), Corey Perry and Scott Sabourin signed for 750k. Anyways, back to my point, bottom of the line-up "grit" can be had for cheap each and every year. If Lias had first line upside, I would be leading the charge to lock him up long term! But he simply hasn't shown that.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Pretty much.

Because Lias Andersson has played more than 11 games in his career? Because Lias Andersson has played more than 11 games this year? Because for the last few years Lias has left people wanting more? IDK what to tell you, players struggle and you can see something. Vilardi was amazing last game in the first period. Was complete ghost the rest of the game. But what you see in the first makes you think "Wow this guy puts it all together he can be something". The positives for Lias? "He is gritty" "he tries hard!" Sorry, that is easily replaceable on the waiver wire. Hell Lepsic had those skills (along with a lot more baggage!).

LOLOL now you are comparing him to Brady Tkachuk?! I'll raise you one and say Walker brings steady defense like Cale Makar!!! Would you prefer Lias Andersson over Cale Makar?!?!!?

If you want to see how hard "Grit" is to secure, look no further than Patrick Maroon. Who played for 4 teams in 4 years leading up to winning the cup with the Lightning. And signed for 900k this year. Clifford signed for 1 mil, Simmonds 1.5, Kevan Millar (Defensement) signed for 1.25, Bogosian/Schenn/Chara/Sbisa all for a million or less (not that I'd sign any), Corey Perry and Scott Sabourin signed for 750k. Anyways, back to my point, bottom of the line-up "grit" can be had for cheap each and every year. If Lias had first line upside, I would be leading the charge to lock him up long term! But he simply hasn't shown that.

I was having two different conversations, although they did both mention Lias.

For the first point, he hasn't played a full seasons worth of games yet and is only 22. For reference Sean Walker had yet to break into the league at 22. He has the potential to be much more than a dime a dozen player, which was a part of the second discussion I was having.

If you can find a gritty player who can develop high end skill it is very valuable, especially with the current trajectory of the league.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Sure enough. But none of the players we are talking about are at the end of their careers. I want to keep everyone but unfortunately Seattle will get someone.

Oh, I agree and I like Walker a lot, but I do believe that there is some high potential with both Lias and Tonka. I don't think the protections are going to be easy for the Kings. Which is not something I expected before this season.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
Pretty much.

Vilardi was a ghost after the first period? You gotta open your eyes my dude.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
I think Lias will be fine. Everyone on the roster besides AA and Maata have spent at least a year playing this system. Kid is just 22, and the last few 22 yr old forwards playing their 1st 10 gms in this system all have had their issues. Kid should play some gms with the Reign, play bigger minutes in all situations. All the kids playing well in LA have done just this. Pitter-patter let's get at er

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Vilardi was a ghost after the first period? You gotta open your eyes my dude.

Thanks pal.

Show me any proof that supports that? That line was the third best line at best after the first period. And that’s with the Wild being slightly better in the 2nd/3rd. (They were god awful in the first)

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Awesome to see Walker will play sooner than most of us expected.

Also, I'm very confused at the potshots towards Vilardi. He's played mostly third line and has been visible for the right reasons. First season and he's shown promise. What's the deal?

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I'm not worried about Vilardi. He does stuff with the puck that only very good players can pull off. He's only going to get better and stronger as time goes on.

Glad Walker is returning, but I'll be disappointed to see Strand out of the lineup. That being said, it'll be good to see Walker partnered with anyone other than MacDermid for once. I felt like he was struggling this season pre-injury, but I feel like with a decent partner he'll bounce back.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Holy shit.

Dude is the terminator.

6a00d8341c630a53ef01156f432947970c-450wi

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
Awesome to see Walker will play sooner than most of us expected.

Also, I'm very confused at the potshots towards Vilardi. He's played mostly third line and has been visible for the right reasons. First season and he's shown promise. What's the deal?

Some people obviously don’t have a clue what they’re watching.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
31 Thoughts: The Podcast

What’s Going On Off The Ice In Arizona? | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

Feb 19, 2021
What’s Going On Off The Ice In Arizona?

Jeff and Elliotte discuss Katie Strang’s investigation into the Arizona Coyotes' alleged business practices and internal workings (00:00) and what they have been hearing. They also touch on Connor McDavid hitting 500 points (18:00), Elliotte's mystery player (31:20), potential moves in Nashville (35:00), Florida's strong start (37:00), another PWHPA partnership (42:00) and much more.

Then Blake Bolden joins the guys (45:00) to talk about her role as an AHL scout with the L.A. Kings, managing her mental health during the pandemic, her signature hockey stick and what it was like to meet Willie O'Ree for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad