Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
List of left handed defenseman under 25 that the Kings could target...I left some off who I view as untouchable obviously.

Girard/Byram: Colorado has a plethora of solid defenseman and their offense is ranked 20th at the moment. Record isnt too bad but not as good as everyone expected. Could maybe see something lining up here.

Chabot: Not sure if hes considered untouchable in the dumpster fire that is Ottawa. If anyone wants to chime in on that go ahead...

Hanifin: Not dynamic but people forget he just barely turned 24 and has been in the league for 5 years already...lots of room to grow.

Heiskanen: Depends on the Stars playoff hopes situation within the next month...

Sergachev: Would purely be a cap space move for the Lightning. They're playing pretty well, so not sure if I could see this happening.

And my pick for who I think and also want the Kings to target...

Werenski: We all know how those trades with Columbus turn out. Want want want. Could maybe entice Jarmo with fellow fin Kupari, would obviously have to add a decent amount...

Anderson-Doughty
Werenski-Roy
Bjornfot-Walker
Maata and MacD as extra

Solid.

Last edited:

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
The Kings almost never leak anything that is imminent. So that means they must be looking for a dynamic right winger instead.

Reactions: Sol

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
If kings are looking for a left dman I wonder if that means bjornfot and clague are getting sent down for the year.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
List of left handed defenseman under 25 that the Kings could target...I left some off who I view as untouchable obviously.

Girard/Byram: Colorado has a plethora of solid defenseman and their offense is ranked 20th at the moment. Record isnt too bad but not as good as everyone expected. Could maybe see something lining up here.

Chabot: Not sure if hes considered untouchable in the dumpster fire that is Ottawa. If anyone wants to chime in on that go ahead...

Hanifin: Not dynamic but people forget he just barely turned 24 and has been in the league for 5 years already...lots of room to grow.

Heiskanen: Depends on the Stars playoff hopes situation within the next month...

Sergachev: Would purely be a cap space move for the Lightning. They're playing pretty well, so not sure if I could see this happening.

Werenski: We all know how those trades with Columbus turn out. Want want want. Could maybe entice Jarmo with fellow fin Kupari, would obviously have to add a decent amount...

Anderson-Doughty
Werenski-Roy
Bjornfot-Walker
Maata and MacD as extra

Solid.
I dont understand giving up offensive prospects for a defenseman. Especially prospects that the kings will have to flip to build their offense.

The kings d is set. It's full of up and coming defensive youth. I don't see Blake's reasoning here.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Dreger on TSN's Insider Trading is saying that Blake is looking for a Dynamic Left Shot Defenseman. I would tend to agree here, that is the big piece that is missing right now both on the roster and in the pipeline. A young proven #2 LD that can provide some offense.
When is the last time he was right about LA?Also, that is an obvious generic statement towards LAs biggest need.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
I dont understand giving up offensive prospects for a defenseman. Especially prospects that the kings will have to flip to build their offense.

The kings d is set. It's full of up and coming defensive youth. I don't see Blake's reasoning here.
Kings D is not set. We don’t really have a #2 defenseman. I see Roy as a solid #3 and Mikey anderson and Bjornfot as #4s. We need to fast track our rebuild/retool. No time to wait for guys like Faber and Grans...

We have wayyy to many forward prospects so moving a forward prospect or two for a defenseman makes perfect sense...

Reactions: KingTech

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If the Kings are looking for an upgrade at LD, there are some interesting trade partners.

You could target guys like Nate Schmidt and Nurse, but they come with heavy contracts and term. They would cost some solid futures, and wouldn’t be worth it. But if Van slides out of playoff position by the trade deadline, I could see Schmidt being available if someone was willing to take on the contract.

My preference would be to try and fix the mistake made with bringing in Maata. Ghostbear is playing 20 mins a night for Philly and I think would slot in nicely with Drew. Then you can run Clague and Bigfoot on the bottom pairings. Maata for GB straight up is fair value from a money perspective.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings D is not set. We don’t really have a #2 defenseman. I see Roy as a solid #3 and Mikey anderson and Bjornfot as #4s. We need to fast track our rebuild/retool. No time to wait for guys like Faber and Grans...

We have wayyy to many forward prospects so moving a forward prospect or two for a defenseman makes perfect sense...

The forward prospects we could afford to move wouldn't net the dman we need.

There are blue chip forward prospects we can't really afford to move as we have to see how they pan out (Byfield, Turcotte, Vilardi). and even then gambling on a trade doesn't guarantee us anything we don't already have in the system.

Trading for prospects doesn't make sense because we're sitting on a million; yet trading for an established young d-man comes at a premium.

It's a rock and a hard place but also a pretty nonsensical one at this moment. I don't doubt Blake is looking, but I DO doubt he pulls the trigger anytime soon, especially with expansion looming.

Reactions: Hockeyman999

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If the Kings are looking for an upgrade at LD, there are some interesting trade partners.

You could target guys like Nate Schmidt and Nurse, but they come with heavy contracts and term. They would cost some solid futures, and wouldn’t be worth it. But if Van slides out of playoff position by the trade deadline, I could see Schmidt being available if someone was willing to take on the contract.

My preference would be to try and fix the mistake made with bringing in Maata. Ghostbear is playing 20 mins a night for Philly and I think would slot in nicely with Drew. Then you can run Clague and Bigfoot on the bottom pairings. Maata for GB straight up is fair value from a money perspective.

Maybe but what I don't like about that move is what we saw when swapping Maatta for Anderson; you give doughty a partner that will roam and Drew will just hang back and cover instead of being dynamic himself. How many times last night was Olli the friggin first man in the zone? It stifles Drew's value.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Maybe but what I don't like about that move is what we saw when swapping Maatta for Anderson; you give doughty a partner that will roam and Drew will just hang back and cover instead of being dynamic himself. How many times last night was Olli the friggin first man in the zone? It stifles Drew's value.

Good point about Anderson. I think talent makes a difference at the end of the day, and Maata is the weak link at LD.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
While I'm sure Blake's looking at everything, imagine its just him intentionally making ripples that don't involve Eichel as misdirection?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Damn I can't believe it's been 9 years!

I just looked it up, the Kings has lost 4 straight coming into this game. After this game they went on to win 10 out of the next 13 games. I'd say this was a spark.

That run was very reminiscent of what happened in 2001 after the Kings brought in Potvin, Deadmarsh, Miller. It’s like Deadmarsh’s hockey soul possessed Brown in 2012.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Dreger on TSN's Insider Trading is saying that Blake is looking for a Dynamic Left Shot Defenseman. I would tend to agree here, that is the big piece that is missing right now both on the roster and in the pipeline. A young proven #2 LD that can provide some offense.

Dreger either talking out of his ass or “dynamic” means something different to him. Defensemen like that just aren’t just traded on a whim.

Like the list cook provided a few posts ago, are not on the market, and for good reason.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Anderson-Doughty
Werenski-Roy
Bjornfot-Walker
Maata and MacD as extra

Solid.
Do you know what Sergachev did before joining the NHL? Russian counter-intelligence. Forget Sergachev. There is no Sergachev.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I am fine with getting Maatta. The exposure requirement still needed to be filled. I did not want to have to play MacDermid that many games.

Reactions: Piston

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I don't doubt that Blake is looking. I just don't see an in season trade. We are not a contender so the urgency is not there. We need to figure out and develop what we have.

Plus, if we get a dynamic LHD, that just means one more defenseman to protect. An even better player than before would have to be exposed.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't doubt that Blake is looking. I just don't see an in season trade. We are not a contender so the urgency is not there. We need to figure out and develop what we have.

Plus, if we get a dynamic LHD, that just means one more defenseman to protect. An even better player than before would have to be exposed.

Yep, Blake is only doing his due diligence by checking around on young players to accelerate as soon as next year.

But you can't fill holes until you know what you have and I think our left side is stacked with Anderson-Bjornfot-Clague to where the only sort of 'upgrade' that's worthwhile is a Werenski/Sergachev class defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad