Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wylie, Wyatte

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The Millman love is a bit ridiculous. And I say that as someone who likes him (as a 4th round pick).

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Tell me exactly what you think is ridiculous.
That he's running away with the vote as the #9 prospect. He's a 4th round scrawny defenseman -- I like him, but his NHL upside is rather weak. He wasn't good in the OHL until he was 18. He lacks size and strength. He's not going to be able to play his offensive game in the NHL. How is he a better NHL prospect than Ratcliffe?

Reactions: Larry44

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
That he's running away with the vote as the #9 prospect. He's a 4th round scrawny defenseman -- I like him, but his NHL upside is rather weak. He wasn't good in the OHL until he was 18. He lacks size and strength. He's not going to be able to play his offensive game in the NHL. How is he a better NHL prospect than Ratcliffe?

How much obtainable upside does Ratcliffe even have though? Despite his size he isn't exactly physical nor will that ever be a large part of his game. I don't see him being a major offensive contributor at the next level either and if he isn't doing that, what is he doing? There is a chance he could become an NHLer but Ratcliffe having more upside than the other prospects in this area of the poll seems unwarranted.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
How much obtainable upside does Ratcliffe even have though? Despite his size he isn't exactly physical nor will that ever be a large part of his game. I don't see him being a major offensive contributor at the next level either and if he isn't doing that, what is he doing? There is a chance he could become an NHLer but Ratcliffe having more upside than the other prospects in this area of the poll seems unwarranted.
He's got more upside than Millman.

Ratcliffe was the 35th pick in 2017. Millman the 103rd pick in 2019.

Ratcliffe is 6'5" and still growing into his frame. Millman is a scrawny kid who doesn't have that size.

Ratcliffe scored 41 and 50 goals his last two years of junior. Millman has had only one big junior season, and that was 44 points in 58 games at age 18. Solid but not spectacular.

Upside with Millman is he makes the NHL. Upside with Ratcliffe is he's a 20+ goal scorer in the NHL.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
He's got more upside than Millman.

Ratcliffe was the 35th pick in 2017. Millman the 103rd pick in 2019.

Ratcliffe is 6'5" and still growing into his frame. Millman is a scrawny kid who doesn't have that size.

Ratcliffe scored 41 and 50 goals his last two years of junior. Millman has had only one big junior season, and that was 44 points in 58 games at age 18. Solid but not spectacular.

Upside with Millman is he makes the NHL. Upside with Ratcliffe is he's a 20+ goal scorer in the NHL.

But why? You didn't give me a reason for him having the upside you think he has.

Pick position doesn't matter. Using pick position as a means of evaluating upside is negligent.

Ratcliffe is big and growing into his frame, but that doesn't mean he will use his size to the extent he could. Even if he gets to 220-230 what good does that do if he doesn't utilize it? And why can't Millman add some strength is there some law I don't know that forbids it..?

You are comparing apples to oranges here. Discussing goals and points at face value when comparing a defenseman to a forward seems like a poor evaluation tool.

A lot needs to go right for Ratcliffe to become a 20 goal scorer. I just don't see it happening.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Both Ratcliffe and Millman are projection picks, Ratcliffe needs to fill out to 220+ without losing speed b/c he's not nifty enough to be a 6'6 205 finesse forward. Millman was 176 lbs, at 6'1 he'll need to be in the 190+ range for the NHL, we'll see how it impacts his skating as he fills out.

Millman played above expectations at 18, but some people overrate mobile defensemen, I mean AMac was mobile, showed good offensive chops in the "Q". AMac had a solid NHL career, but he really was a 3rd line talent who played the top 4 out of need, not merit. So we'll see how much further Millman progresses the next couple years - while he looks promising, a little early to project him as a top 4 talent.

I'd feel more confident in Andrae if he shows improvement this season, holding your own in the SHL at 18 is far more impressive than putting up big numbers in the CHL.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Attard is an average(ish) passer. That may be a generous way of describing his ability to pass the puck. He’s an okay skater. He improved defensively as the year went on w/ WMU. Decent hockey sense. Would like to see him process things faster though. He seriously lacks deception and creativity. Attard’s a top 15(ish) prospect though. Which is decent.

Millman’s passing ability is up there with Zamula and York. Seriously. No hyperbole/exaggeration. Passing ability for defenseman is a vitally important skill. To go along with his excellent skating ability, quick processing, pace of play (fast), etc. There’s a lot to like about Mason Millman. He’s a worthy top 10 prospect for the Flyers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Difference is York has done it as an 18 year old freshman in college, Zamula has not just excelled in the CHL, but has been impressive in NHL training camps. Andrae is currently an 18 year old in the SHL.

It's just easier to have confidence in a prospect when they play against men.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
But why? You didn't give me a reason for him having the upside you think he has.

Pick position doesn't matter. Using pick position as a means of evaluating upside is negligent.

Ratcliffe is big and growing into his frame, but that doesn't mean he will use his size to the extent he could. Even if he gets to 220-230 what good does that do if he doesn't utilize it? And why can't Millman add some strength is there some law I don't know that forbids it..?

You are comparing apples to oranges here. Discussing goals and points at face value when comparing a defenseman to a forward seems like a poor evaluation tool.

A lot needs to go right for Ratcliffe to become a 20 goal scorer. I just don't see it happening.
I gave you my reasons. He's a 6'5" kid only starting to grow into his body but who scored 41 and 50 goals his last two seasons of junior, and tall scorers tend to have a longer development curve.

For the record, I said I liked Millman as a 4th round pick. I've said it since they drafted him. He's a very good skater. But I don't see a high NHL ceiling with him.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I gave you my reasons. He's a 6'5" kid only starting to grow into his body but who scored 41 and 50 goals his last two seasons of junior, and tall scorers tend to have a longer development curve.

For the record, I said I liked Millman as a 4th round pick. I've said it since they drafted him. He's a very good skater. But I don't see a high NHL ceiling with him.

You really didn't but, whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad