• Wylie, Wyatte

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
The easiest thing to do is just vote Binksy here like you should.
More like Bunny

The thing is prospect lists aren't interval data sets. So it's silly anyway. The more appropriate way to organize prospects is a nominal, tier based system with no order therein.

Top tier Frost, Brink, Zamula, York, Millman, Ginning

2nd tier: Wylie, Andrae, Foerster, Laz

Etc

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
More like Bunny

The thing is prospect lists aren't interval data sets. So it's silly anyway. The more appropriate way to organize prospects is a nominal, tier based system with no order therien.

Top tier Frost, Brink, Zamula, York, Millman, Ginning

2nd tier: Wylie, Andrae, Foerster, Laz

Etc

The only thing I can say to this is "No doi." Great post.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's basically a toss up, both players have top 6/top 4 talent. Both players have physical issues, but Brink also has the skating issue.
We really won't know how good they might be for 2-3 more seasons.

Zamula has a higher floor, because he's going to be a smart puck mover at worst who has to be sheltered, whereas Brink if he doesn't fill out and improve his skating could be a flop.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Went with Zamula.

I don't think I'm being a homer when I say that I have the top 4 stacked right on top of each other and that I think you can make a case for any of the four to be #1. It was 28 games plus WJCs, but I thought Zamula had the best overall performance of any prospect in the system so I gave him the nod here. No one had a greater two-way impact last year than him and he gives you yet another PP option in a 6'3+ frame. When he was on the ice, Calgary outscored the opponent 2:1. When he was off the ice, they were breakeven. Calgary's season fell apart when he went down. He's never been overly involved offensively at ES and it's still somewhat of a short track record which gives me slight pause, but he looks like he has every tool necessary to be a top 4, play driving defenseman who could make his NHL debut this season. That's good enough for me to place him #3.

It also didn't feel right not to have him right next to York who I have #2. I gave York the slight edge because of age and track record. Michigan was one of the stingiest defensive teams in the country last year and York as the 1D made a huge impact on goal prevention. I don't think last year's Michigan team helped highlight York's strengths as an offensive player though. Michigan was a low event team lacking high end talent up front. York is only going to look as good offensively as the talent he is surrounded by. That should change this year. I'm expecting a big year.

Brink I think has arguably the highest offensive ceiling in the system so ranking him 4th could look foolish in hindsight, but I was expecting a little more impact offensively at ES. His incredible numbers in the USHL are not lost on me and he was one of the youngest players in the country, but I think the first three are a bit more polished and play more premium positions. I expect him also to take a big step as a sophomore. If it weren't for a Covid shortened season, I thought he had a chance to turn pro after the season. I think the timeline gets pushed back a bit unfortunately.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If it weren't for a Covid shortened season, I thought he had a chance to turn pro after the season. I think the timeline gets pushed back a bit unfortunately.

I don't think it's unfortunate, given our depth at forward.

With Sandin, Laczynski and Allison on board, there's no reason to rush Brink, he's not going to outproduce them at 19, give him a year or two to physically mature and improve his skating, and he can skip the "rookie blues."

With Zamula, Hogberg and Wylie available, no reason to rush York.

When players at this talent level are ready, it's a no-brainer, the problem comes like TK in 2016-17, your team is so thin that a raw rookie can be an upgrade, but it's not always the best thing for the player. There's a lot to be said for working on aspects of your game in a low pressure environment where you can make mistakes without looking over your shoulder.

Reactions: Larry44

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Zamula is a fearless puck-mover with, seemingly, no pulse under forecheck pressure. It works to his detriment occasionally, but that's ok for now. That's the right mentality to have. One you NEED to have in the modern NHL.

He also likes to challenge puck-rushers and has shown the ability to stay glued to even an oncoming Lafreniere. I like his vision in the offensive zone as well. It's not Sanheim level, but still very impressive.

Zamula also seems like a very popular, outspoken, team guy. The Flyers locker room is probably a little bland, so he'll be a welcome change. He had a hilarious, expletive laced, Calgary pregame speech that ended up on IG that ruled.

I'm a big fan of how this kid plays. I ranked him as our 4th best prospect just a few months after we signed him. Zamula is obviously a super, super prospect. I think it says something that the national, mainstream prospect pundits rank him, even though he was undrafted, and those polls often reek of draft year hype bias.

BINKSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With that said... I'M STILL VOTING FOR BINKSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not unexpectedly, he had a few lulls in the first half of his freshman year, but plenty of great moments as well. After that, I thought he was truly dynamite. The only guy who was more impressive at creating chances 5v5 on his WJC team was Zegras imo. Back at Denver, he was carrying a line with two nobodies (Ward & Heikkenen). He just kept getting better all year.

His raw point totals at Denver were greater than I anticipated. Even so, I really think his point totals ran below expectation from what he was actually generating on the ice in the 2nd half. He's a massively gifted and instinctual offensive player. We haven't had a player like this come along in our system in a long time. Not to mention a killer accurate, booming shot that he can rip from either circle.

Also, the pre-draft knock on his straight line skating is gone, and it wouldn't surprise me if he still can find an extra gear as he keeps maturing. We haven't seen him anywhere near his physical peak, unlike someone in his draft class like a Newhook, Kaliyev, or maybe even Caufield.

#BrinkZamula2020

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Went with Zamula.

I don't think I'm being a homer when I say that I have the top 4 stacked right on top of each other and that I think you can make a case for any of the four to be #1.
Very similar thought process for me. I still have Frost above the rest, but the next 3 are really close. I went with Zamula next cause I don't think York is far ahead of him and to even out what I expected to be a clear #3 for Brink. I think a good case can be made for any of the three to be #2-4.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Zamula is a fearless puck-mover with, seemingly, no pulse under forecheck pressure. It works to his detriment occasionally, but that's ok for now. That's the right mentality to have. One you NEED to have in the modern NHL.

He also likes to challenge puck-rushers and has shown the ability to stay glued to even an oncoming Lafreniere. I like his vision in the offensive zone as well. It's not Sanheim level, but still very impressive.

Zamula also seems like a very popular, outspoken, team guy. The Flyers locker room is probably a little bland, so he'll be a welcome change. He had a hilarious, expletive laced, Calgary pregame speech that ended up on IG that ruled.

I'm a big fan of how this kid plays. I ranked him as our 4th best prospect just a few months after we signed him. Zamula is obviously a super, super prospect. I think it says something that the national, mainstream prospect pundits rank him, even though he was undrafted, and those polls often reek of draft year hype bias.

With that said... I'M STILL VOTING FOR BINKSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not unexpectedly, he had a few lulls in the first half of his freshman year, but plenty of great moments as well. After that, I thought he was truly dynamite. The only guy who was more impressive at creating chances 5v5 on his WJC team was Zegras imo. Back at Denver, he was carrying a line with two nobodies (Ward & Heikkenen). He just kept getting better all year.

His raw point totals at Denver were greater than I anticipated. Even so, I really think his point totals ran below expectation from what he was actually generating on the ice in the 2nd half. He's a massively gifted and instinctual offensive player. We haven't had a player like this come along in our system in a long time. Not to mention a killer accurate, booming shot that he can rip from either circle.

Also, the pre-draft knock on his straight line skating is gone, and it wouldn't surprise me if he still can find an extra gear as he keeps maturing. We haven't seen him anywhere near his physical peak, unlike someone in his draft class like a Newhook, Kaliyev, or maybe even Caufield.

#BrinkZamula2020

I saw a handful of Brinks games towards the end of his last season. I don't think he is the Flyers best prospect but I do think he is he prospect I am most excited for. He is soooo fun to watch. I can see him being a guy that plays a few years down the lineup just because of team depth but ends up with lots of highlight reel plays just abusing other teams depth players.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Zamula shouldn’t be on this list. He is a lock to be in the top 6 when the season starts

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One problem is when players are at different stages of development, how do you rank probability of reaching their upside v a higher upside (partially b/c a player further away is easier to project, you're not close enough to see the warts).

We've seen Zamula in two NHL training camps look like he could step in and play in the NHL right now, the problem would be whether he'd holdup over 100 games. But the IQ and skills are there. It's just a matter of adding enough strength to project to a full-time role.

Brink has one great USHL campaign and one college season, it's just harder to project how good he will become, because it really depends on how he fills out and how that impacts his skating. If he gets stronger, develops a compact body that can play in traffic and improves his skating, the sky is the limit - but if he can't add strength and still struggles skating, he could be one of those good but not great offensive players with defensive deficiencies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad