2020-21 Expected Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
buying out matta makes sense if he is not traded. I think smith you try and retain and trade him or bury him in the AHL. you do not want 1 mil hit the second year with the buyout. Shaw may start the season on LTIR which might help a little. you could trade SAAD but to get a return you would need to take back a contract. I'm actually OK with him just playing out his contract here unless someone offers you something of interest. you think the cap crunch is bad next year it will be worse in the years after. I would resign CAGG (Iike him on the 4th line) on a 2-3 year deal that you could bury most of it in the minors. Same goes for Koek. of the young D. Boquist is probably on the team with murphy and keith. De haan is if he can stay healthy. I think Matta is gone. Seabs is # 7 (that hurts so bad 4 more years) that would leave Carllson, Mitchell, Koek and either beudin or kalynuk 3/4 thru 6. The goalie is going to be a problem but you only have so much to give out. If Craw is out with any other type of injury over then COVID I think I walk away from him next year unless its a 1 year super cheap deal. He cannot stay healthy.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
A for thinking outside of the box, but I think your off by a lot. Namely, Nylander as 13th forward, Dach at wing, and Gilbert and McCoshen. Suter may end up at center, but he'll start at wing, given who's already there.

Maatta and Smith will be traded/bought out, for sure.

Just want to add that no Caggs really, really sucks! Very much hoping that Bowman can shoehorn him in.

Nylander blows. Not scoring and horrible against the puck. Caggiula is a plug. Smith is still a lot better. McCoshen was solid in Florida. Good enough for the 3rd pair. Gilbert has been great. And he's the only defender able to do some damage. No idea why they stopped playing him. Dach needs to work on his game against the puck and 33% on faceoffs isn't acceptable either. Probably a year away from being able to play Center.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Nylander blows. Not scoring and horrible against the puck. Caggiula is a plug. Smith is still a lot better. McCoshen was solid in Florida. Good enough for the 3rd pair. Gilbert has been great. And he's the only defender able to do some damage. No idea why they stopped playing him. Dach needs to work on his game against the puck and 33% on faceoffs isn't acceptable either. Probably a year away from being able to play Center.

ok, then!

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

I’ve never seen a post so wrong before.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
buying out matta makes sense if he is not traded. I think smith you try and retain and trade him or bury him in the AHL. you do not want 1 mil hit the second year with the buyout. Shaw may start the season on LTIR which might help a little. you could trade SAAD but to get a return you would need to take back a contract. I'm actually OK with him just playing out his contract here unless someone offers you something of interest. you think the cap crunch is bad next year it will be worse in the years after. I would resign CAGG (Iike him on the 4th line) on a 2-3 year deal that you could bury most of it in the minors. Same goes for Koek. of the young D. Boquist is probably on the team with murphy and keith. De haan is if he can stay healthy. I think Matta is gone. Seabs is # 7 (that hurts so bad 4 more years) that would leave Carllson, Mitchell, Koek and either beudin or kalynuk 3/4 thru 6. The goalie is going to be a problem but you only have so much to give out. If Craw is out with any other type of injury over then COVID I think I walk away from him next year unless its a 1 year super cheap deal. He cannot stay healthy.
Buying out Maatta only makes sense if they're still able to buy him out at the U26 rate. If not, then they're better off either dumping the entire contract or retaining 50%. Buying out Smith doesn't make as much sense as retaining 50%.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

LOL what? This post is clueless.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Nylander is a project. We knew that when they traded for him. It might take a season to beat the Buffalo funk out of him. I think he's going to explode next year. It's clear the kid has talent, and he was probably mishandled in Buffalo. Anyone expecting much more than what they got out of him this year was probably being unrealistic.

Teravainen didn't become the player he is until his age 23 season, so I'd continue to be patient with Nylander. There are a lot of similarities there.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
and a rookie. Colliton didn't gift him a Top 6 spot. Yeah, big time up and down season, but the trend is most definitely positive.

My crystal ball (lol) says that there's a strong chance that we'll view the Nylander trade as a steal a couple of years from now.

Yeah, I'm with you on Nylander. Definitely top-6 offensive skills. Nothing guaranteed, but I like the trajectory he's on.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
That is a positive thing. Never take it any other way.
Of course it is......it will be interesting to see what happens. I hate the fact that they're probably going to have to give away a talented young player 2 years in a row. I could see both Nylander and Suter put up 45+ points next year.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Nylander is a project. We knew that when they traded for him. It might take a season to beat the Buffalo funk out of him. I think he's going to explode next year. It's clear the kid has talent, and he was probably mishandled in Buffalo. Anyone expecting much more than what they got out of him this year was probably being unrealistic.

Teravainen didn't become the player he is until his age 23 season, so I'd continue to be patient with Nylander. There are a lot of similarities there.

Nylander is useless. Horrible against the puck and hasn't put up solid scoring since the OHL. Even at AHL level he was very underwhelming. Has bust written all over him.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Nylander is useless. Horrible against the puck and hasn't put up solid scoring since the OHL. Even at AHL level he was very underwhelming. Has bust written all over him.
Have you watched the Hawks at all this year? He was one of their better defensive forwards. Nylander's 200ft game is fine. Forechecking and backchecking is one of his strengths.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Almost all of them and I disagree.
You're in the minority on this board. Most posters think his 200 ft game is fine at the very least, and good at best.

I just watched all of the goals the Hawks scored through February last night and a bunch of the ones Nylander was involved in came directly from him forcing a turnover with his forechecking/backchecking skills.

If you want to argue that he needs to hit the weight room, I have no arguments there. He does get pushed around physically. He has the makings of a beastly two way forward if he gets stronger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad