2020-2021 St. Louis Blues: Well, ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
It turns out that several of them were playing with weakness from having contracted The Covid-19 Virus. And, although they were cleared by doctors as virus-free (e.g. "recovered", and had no overt, easily discernable symptoms anymore, their bodies were left weaker.
Looking at that fact with a purely hockey specific lens, I kind of wonder because of the unknowns about the long term effects, is will will they ever shake those post virus effects? And how will that affect the preparation and start of the next season?

One set of answers is much worse for immediate future of Blues hockey than the other. Again this discounts the complications outside of hockey.

Note fan in Big D

Oct 22, 2008
Texas
I really hope they are not playing hardball with Pietrangelo. Not going above 8 seems pretty stingy to me, in fact, it is almost insulting. We really don't know what is going on, but lowballing our Captain after giving the contracts to Schenn and Faulk seems like a very, very stupid move to me.

Especially when Edmundson had more points this season than Faulk, at half the price, and Bokk was included. Could have brought back Maroon for $1.5 mil, too.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Especially when Edmundson had more points this season than Faulk, at half the price, and Bokk was included. Could have brought back Maroon for $1.5 mil, too.
The Hurricanes and Blues play two totally different systems. It's not surprising seeing Carolina's players scoring more when they play a more offensive style.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
The Hurricanes and Blues play two totally different systems. It's not surprising seeing Carolina's players scoring more when they play a more offensive style.
This is exactly what happened with Justin Faulk. Perhaps our scouts didn't take in to account the 'Canes offensive style when they looked at Faulk's numbers.

Reactions: Ranksu

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
It turns out that several of them were playing with weakness from having contracted The Covid-19 Virus. And, although they were cleared by doctors as virus-free (e.g. "recovered", and had no overt, easily discernable symptoms anymore, their bodies were left weaker.

I think it's more that they missed out on conditioning days during the short window they were given to get into game shape. Then when the time came to play they were steps behind everyone else.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
This is exactly what happened with Justin Faulk. Perhaps our scouts didn't take in to account the 'Canes offensive style when they looked at Faulk's numbers.
More likely there just wasn't the necessary communication between Army, our pro scouts and our coaching staff to shake out the fact that he succeeds based on a particular style of usage, and we didn't offer that much to him last season.

Prosaic

Sep 11, 2020

Not sure where to post this. But looks like AGM Bill Armstrong could be moving on from the Blues.

Reactions: mk80

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Man, we are in for another 50 years of failure, aren’t we?

Blues win the Cup and then a pandemic hits, and we might lose Bill Armstrong, Pietrangelo and who knows about Tarasenko all in one offseason. :laugh:

The Cup was 100% worth it but yikes. I don’t like where any of this is headed.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Not sure where to post this. But looks like AGM Bill Armstrong could be moving on from the Blues.

How do you guys feel about Bill? Has he been involved in any notable decisions beyond drafting?

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
How do you guys feel about Bill? Has he been involved in any notable decisions beyond drafting?
I don’t think anything that’s been said publicly but he’s been assistant GM for a couple years and I have to assume he’s been learning the job. His drafting is excellent (we have not been looking forward to this eventual day for some time for this very reason) and Doug Armstrong is a good professional GM to sit under. I think you should be optimistic if he gets the job.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The drafts are executed well, but the amateur scouting has been excellent under his watch. He’s been able to see how a strong front office operates, including hiring the wrong coach and then addressing the mistake. The pro scouting used to be a weakness of the Blues, and it’s a strength now. Bill isn’t responsible for that, but he at least knows intimately what to emulate. And he’s seen one of the best cap managers on action up close.

We don’t know of any responsibilities beyond amateur scouting which are under his preview since he was promoted, but it wouldn’t be a surprise to hear he’s had more duties.

I fear he’ll bring some of his scouting network with him at the Blues expense.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
his success will hinge on those he picks to surround himself with
who he picks as his direct assistants to run different areas will ultimately determine his success, as they may be moving up to a new job requiring some different skill sets

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019
Man, we are in for another 50 years of failure, aren’t we?

Blues win the Cup and then a pandemic hits, and we might lose Bill Armstrong, Pietrangelo and who knows about Tarasenko all in one offseason. :laugh:

The Cup was 100% worth it but yikes. I don’t like where any of this is headed.
Stop the fear mongering. Even with a Cup, some people just can’t help being afraid of their own shadows.

Reactions: Blueston

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Bill Armstrong has been a successful assistant general manager here for several years. You had to assume that he wants to move up, and that some other team would give him an opportunity.

Some Blues fans are critical of Doug Armstrong right now, citing the Faulk deal and the failure to resign Pietrangelo so far. But I assume ownership is solidly behind Doug, with his moves to build a Cup winner in 2019.

Reactions: Blueston

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Faulk and Parayko both need 40+ pt seasons next year. Especially Faulk, but I do think he’ll be way better next year now that he’ll have a defined role.
I bet when he gets his own Jersey number back. #27 its going to be funny to watch. Mini Pietro on ice and he sucks.

Hope they retire #27 and stand Pietrangelo statue front of Enterprise center. He deserve it.

Damn im going to miss Pietro.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I bet when he gets his own Jersey number back. #27 its going to be funny to watch. Mini Pietro on ice and he sucks.

Hope they retire #27 and stand Pietrangelo statue front of Enterprise center. He deserve it.

Damn im going to miss Pietro.
If he wants a statue he needs to resign. Otherwise maybe they can build him one in Toronto or Vegas or wherever he goes.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Maybe statues are overrated?

I personally wouldn’t want one of myself. It seems way too egotistical and just plain awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad