2020-2021 St. Louis Blues: Well, ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
When people want to do something, they will look for any morsel to validate their beliefs and desires. This is no different.

I noticed that the thread was started by a Canucks fan and gained moment by a lot of those fans.

Honestly, I hope the Canucks do well moving forward, but what is with all the complaining about a goalie that isn't even theirs? Move on people.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Honestly, I hope the Canucks do well moving forward, but what is with all the complaining about a goalie that isn't even theirs? Move on people.

I think Binnington gets a lot of extra scrutiny after that whole thing about his past tweets being brought up before the Winnipeg series by that random Sharks blogger.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
I think Binnington gets a lot of extra scrutiny after that whole thing about his past tweets being brought up before the Winnipeg series by that random Sharks blogger.
I think it's more of his arrogant swagger, people didn't really care about the tweets he made when he was 17. But honestly, this team needed that swagger, I can't complain.

Reactions: mk80

kreele

Oct 12, 2017
Watching Binnington through these playoff games has to raise some concern. Is the book out on him which has exposed a weakness. Stay away from the glove and shoot stick side. Could this be the reason why he had been passed over in the past? I hope not! I would like to look at his past post season saves and see how many shots actually went stick side. Recalling off memory it seemed most shots were on his glove side.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Watching Binnington through these playoff games has to raise some concern. Is the book out on him which has exposed a weakness. Stay away from the glove and shoot stick side. Could this be the reason why he had been passed over in the past? I hope not! I would like to look at his past post season saves and see how many shots actually went stick side. Recalling off memory it seemed most shots were on his glove side.

2019 Playoffs he was

16-10
with a 2.46 GAA
and a 0.914 save percentage

Won the Cup

---------------

In the COVID-shorted regular season (2019-2020, up to March 2020) he was:

30-13-7
with a 2.56 GAA
and a 0.912 save percentage

3 shutouts in 50 starts

Not bad

--------------

In the COVID-playoffs (after many months off) he was:

0-3
with a 0.800 GAA

Not great, but this was for a restarted season July 31, 2020 to August 21, 2020 (three weeks).

Obviously, he struggled with the bubble hockey restart.

Let's not all jump the gun and throw Binny under the bus. The whole team played poorly in the bubble. We turned it over way too much and we only played our Grade A style of game twice in 10 games.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Do not forget Vancouver basically ran a hiesman campaign to get EP the Calder, it was all they had to root for last year.. when Binny said he wanted to win the Calder it pissed off a lot of their fans. They took it as a slight that EP didn't deserve to the award...

And for people going crazy, if any of you belong to any of the Facebook Blues fan groups? Those people are the dumbest hockey fans ever ... They want to trade everyone and let Petro walk because he's useless ... I should leave the groups but it's so entertaining to witness

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Do not forget Vancouver basically ran a hiesman campaign to get EP the Calder, it was all they had to root for last year.. when Binny said he wanted to win the Calder it pissed off a lot of their fans. They took it as a slight that EP didn't deserve to the award...

And for people going crazy, if any of you belong to any of the Facebook Blues fan groups? Those people are the dumbest hockey fans ever ... They want to trade everyone and let Petro walk because he's useless ... I should leave the groups but it's so entertaining to witness
I left the Facebook group I was in long ago, there are definitely some interesting takes that are put out there in those groups.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis

I had a nice meal dining out tonight. The weather was great. I saw a Blues fan walk by with his Blues cap and I thought "in a few months time it all starts again and I'll be giddy like a little kid rooting for the boys". That's sports. Take your championships as VERY SPECIAL moments. The rest is just a series of ups and downs with all the drama, exhilaration, and frustration. Life goes on.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Couple of interesting thoughts I have about this upcoming off season.

#1 Will there be a lot more trades in the offseason? Listening to NHL and they were talking about Jarmo Kekalainen and he was talking about how great the bubble was for scouting players. Just wondering if we will see more trades than usual this offseaon.

#2 I am VERY CURIOUS on Tarasenko's situation. Let's just say he needs surgery again and out 6 months. Well that will change things for sure on Pietrangelo situation for the upcoming season. Not in the future year as much.

#3 What will happen to Steen, Bozak, Allen, & so on? Could someone like Kyrou or Dunn be shipped out?

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Add this to the worry list:

Bill Armstrong, the Blues assistant GM and director of amateur scouting, is a candidate for the vacant Florida Panthers GM job, league sources tell

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Add this to the worry list:

Bill Armstrong, the Blues assistant GM and director of amateur scouting, is a candidate for the vacant Florida Panthers GM job, league sources tell

Didn't Pronger leave that job to work with his wife on a travel business?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Lets hope Florida just recycles some other former GM looking for a job like Chiarelli or whoever

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Maybe a weird thought, but WHAT IF Steen does retire (LTIR) next year, Tarasenko's injury is that bad that he goes LTIR for most (all?) of next season AND we trade Allen (and replace him with Husso). Instead of having a capissue we'd be looking at plenty of capspace (16-ish million? 8-ish. If Petro and Dunn resign: 6-ish). We might even go big game hunting for a decent free agent, OR, wich would be bizarre, trade for a one-year bad contract to gain another draft pick/prospect. As some other teams posters have said: capspace could come at a premium price next year, so why not benefit from that.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Couple of interesting thoughts I have about this upcoming off season.

#1 Will there be a lot more trades in the offseason? Listening to NHL and they were talking about Jarmo Kekalainen and he was talking about how great the bubble was for scouting players. Just wondering if we will see more trades than usual this offseaon.

#2 I am VERY CURIOUS on Tarasenko's situation. Let's just say he needs surgery again and out 6 months. Well that will change things for sure on Pietrangelo situation for the upcoming season. Not in the future year as much.

#3 What will happen to Steen, Bozak, Allen, & so on? Could someone like Kyrou or Dunn be shipped out?
The less cap flexibility, the more difficult trades become. The flip side is that teams need to make moves. Dollars owed versus cap hit is going to be significant for some teams, as half the League probably are wanting to keep costs low. That is why Jake Allen earning $4m is really signficant, when the team can go into UFA and find a good goalie that will maybe take $2.5m.

If Tarasenko is out six months then it doesn't really change too much. We will still need to have that cap space open for when Tarasenko returns. So we could sign Pietrangelo and use the LTIR at the start of the season, but the moment that Tarasenko is ready to return we'll have to make trades where we drop significant cap. That is difficult to do during the season, and we'd be desperate to move players who we don't find important at that point. I don't think that's a viable plan, unless Armstrong can have a handshake deal with another GM for a Steen trade at the start of February, when his NTC expires.

Dunn should have good value and we have a prospect that we're high on for the medium term replacement, so I could see him being moved. Moving Kyrou doesn't make a huge amount of sense, unless it's in a package in a major trade.

Reactions: Brian39 and mk80
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad