2020-2021 St. Louis Blues: Well, ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Panger with analysis on the Blues and who he thinks our next Captain could be. Figured some might like it.

I just want to throw in some opinions. I can't see those D pairing holding up. That 2nd pairing is going to have trouble.
There is no “shut down” pairing anymore. The way the team plays changes. The PK is not going to be good. The goaltending is a big ?

Panger is right about Thomas. We will need him

Reactions: simon IC

ThunderCat

Feb 16, 2019
Panger with analysis on the Blues and who he thinks our next Captain could be. Figured some might like it.

I just want to throw in some opinions. I can't see those D pairing holding up. That 2nd pairing is going to have trouble.
There is no “shut down” pairing anymore. The way the team plays changes. The PK is not going to be good. The goaltending is a big ?

Thomas is ready to have a breakout year..
He came close to a 50pt season if it wasn't for covid. Not bad for a 2nd year player!

Great offensive instincts and playmaking ability. Can't teach that!!
Gonna be interesting to see how he's used this year.. with more ice time.

Looks like he's gettin more and more comfortable playing for Berube too..

Reactions: Vollie27

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015

Not sure what other options we have for that 2nd pairing. Move Gunnarsson up in the line-up? Pair Krug and Faulk? Both of those seem worse. What he listed is likely and the lesser of all evils. I wish Faulk was better at defense, so we could still deploy Scandella/Parayko, but we'll likely see it on the PK.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Yiiiiiiii ... those defense pairings. :(. To be fair, I have gone over all possible combinations in my head, and I can't come up with anything I really like. I really, really hope Mikkola emerges as a solid, permanent addition. Actually, I think I remember reading that Mikkola can play both sides of the ice. (Can you help me out here, @Ranksu?) If so ...
  • Krug - Parayko
  • Scandella - Faulk
  • Dunn/Gunnarsson - Bortuzzo/Mikkola. The four of them can platoon, depending on who is healthy/playing well.

Last edited:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Not sure what other options we have for that 2nd pairing. Move Gunnarsson up in the line-up? Pair Krug and Faulk? Both of those seem worse. What he listed is likely and the lesser of all evils. I wish Faulk was better at defense, so we could still deploy Scandella/Parayko, but we'll likely see it on the PK.
I completely agree. Scandella-Faulk might not be ideal, but it is the best combination I can think of that puts both players in the best environment to succeed. Both Krug and Faulk are heavy possession players, and neither are at their best away from the puck. It does not make sense at all to me to put them together. Krug-Parayko is going to be interesting. I have a gut feeling that pairing is going to be really good, or really, really bad. I am surprised nobody has critiqued Panger's Dunn-Gunnarsson idea. Dunn paired with a declining Gunnarsson playing his off side has disaster written all over it, IMO.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I completely agree. Scandella-Faulk might not be ideal, but it is the best combination I can think of that puts both players in the best environment to succeed. Both Krug and Faulk are heavy possession players, and neither are at their best away from the puck. It does not make sense at all to me to put them together. Krug-Parayko is going to be interesting. I have a gut feeling that pairing is going to be really good, or really, really bad. I am surprised nobody has critiqued Panger's Dunn-Gunnarsson idea. Dunn paired with a declining Gunnarsson playing his off side has disaster written all over it, IMO.

I've always preferred Bortuzzo with Dunn, but I figured Gunnar is probably the mix of best defensively and most experienced of the guys we have left.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I've always knew that losing Pietrangelo would be big but i didn't expect it to be this big. Just like Simon I've been writing down possible combos in my notebook and there's nothing that I like. I don't want to sound doom and gloom but I just don't like what I see. After the first 15 - 20 games we'll all be wishing that we still have Petro but I guess we'll just have to live with it.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Yes, getting constant updates on a player that’s no longer here’s every little move sounds way more enjoyable, my bad.

Watching your GM dismantle a Stanley Cup winning team And replace players with his brand of players because of his ego is even worse. This s*it wouldn’t happen anywhere else. The Blues won it despite Army, not because of him unless you think him calling up Binny and slotting in Chief were moves of strategy because they weren’t; they were acts of desperation. He knew his job was on the line and the team found a way. Instead of capitalizing on that amazing streak of good fortune he pissed it away.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Watching your GM dismantle a Stanley Cup winning team And replace players with his brand of players because of his ego is even worse. This s*it wouldn’t happen anywhere else. The Blues won it despite Army, not because of him unless you think him calling up Binny and slotting in Chief were moves of strategy because they weren’t; they were acts of desperation. He knew his job was on the line and the team found a way. Instead of capitalizing on that amazing streak of good fortune he pissed it away.

Agreed. The fact is the Blues have taken a massive step back and almost all of it is self inflicted, by a gm whose head has gotten so fat. I know some of you don't want to admit it, but just admit it. His fat head drove away our captain and best defenceman.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Agreed. The fact is the Blues have taken a massive step back and almost all of it is self inflicted, by a gm whose head has gotten so fat. I know some of you don't want to admit it, but just admit it. His fat head drove away our captain and best defenceman.

Trust me, I’m not too thrilled with how it all went down.

My main thing in THIS particular thread we don’t need a bump every time a news story about him in Vegas comes out, or the eventual “look at how good he’s doing and our guys are struggling” bump every time he has a good game.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

My main thing in THIS particular thread we don’t need a bump every time a news story about him in Vegas comes out, or the eventual “look at how good he’s doing and our guys are struggling” bump every time he has a good game.
Completely agreed. It would be best to keep this as a thread where people can express their gratitude for Pietrangelo's contribution to the St. Louis Blues. It should not be an Alex Pietrangelo update thread.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura

Ha that reminded me of the first few months of the season when we traded for ROR.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I've always knew that losing Pietrangelo would be big but i didn't expect it to be this big.
Was unaware we could assess our 2021 team's performance already. Also, i think it's kinda funny how based on user name i can now fully predict what certain post are gonna be about. Is there an echo in here here here...

Last edited:

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Was unaware we could assess our 2021 team's performance already. Also, i think it's kinda funny how based on user name i can now fully predict what certain post are gonna be about. Is there an echo in here here here...

Well I'm just being honest and seeing things the way I see it. The fact is the Blues have regressed. I'm sorry if you don't like it. And also I don't know what my username has to do with what I post.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

How do you know the Blues have taken a massive step back? Parayko steps in the #1 role and we’ve added Krug. I also think Faulk, Thomas and Kyrou are all going to take big steps forward. There arent many teams on paper better than this team.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
How do you know the Blues have taken a massive step back? Parayko steps in the #1 role and we’ve added Krug. I also think Faulk, Thomas and Kyrou are all going to take big steps forward. There arent many teams on paper better than this team.

They let Pietrangelo go which is a huge downgrade. The Blues D is much weaker than it was that's why I said it was a step back. I like Parayko and I think he is a good player but I don't see him being as good as Pietrangelo was. Faulk and Krug sure they can score and put up points but they are very one dimensional espically Krug. And we have them for 7 years and are very expensive for what they are worth. I much rather have 7 years of Pietrangelo than 7 years of Krug and Faulk combined.

My opinions may come off strong but It's just the way I am, I'm honest and I don't sugarcoat. I just haven't liked what DA did. He had a good team that were contenders and he let his ego destroy all of it.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

Parayko is not a 1D and does not replace Pie’s production. There’s a lot of hope and optimism in a defense corps that includes a DMAN or two in need of sheltering, a sound Faulk and a relative rookie in Kyrou.

On paper with that group there’s a good half dozen teams that will walk right through that corps.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Parayko is not a 1D and does not replace Pie’s production. There’s a lot of hope and optimism in a defense corps that includes a DMAN or two in need of sheltering, a sound Faulk and a relative rookie in Kyrou.

On paper with that group there’s a good half dozen teams that will walk right through that corps.

Parayko is a better defender than Petro and his points will come in this new role.

Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Parayko is a better defender than Petro and his points will come in this new role.

You'll never convince someone the sky is blue if they never take off their rose-colored glasses. If Parayko suddenly becomes Pronger, Krug becomes Bobby Orr, Thomas becomes Gretzky, Kyrou becomes Bure, Faulk becomes MacInnis, and Binnington becomes Brodeur, then we'll be totally fine.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada

Agreed. I like Colt and I think he is a good player but he won't replace Pietrangelo, in fact no one can replace what Pietrangelo brings. The D have taken a massive step back. Unless Binny can return to form prepare for a lot of goals against especially with Faulk and Krug on the ice as they can't defend to save their lives, Krug especially.

I like Colt but overall Pietrangelo is better than Colt. I don't see him putting up the points like Petro can. I don't see him getting above 40pts.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Agreed. I like Colt and I think he is a good player but he won't replace Pietrangelo, in fact no one can replace what Pietrangelo brings. The D have taken a massive step back. Unless Binny can return to form prepare for a lot of goals against especially with Faulk and Krug on the ice as they can't defend to save their lives, Krug especially.

I like Colt but overall Pietrangelo is better than Colt. I don't see him putting up the points like Petro can. I don't see him getting above 40pts.

I also don’t think he’ll put up as many as petro did, but he’s a better defender and could reach 50 pts IMO if the pp has success.

Reactions: Blueston

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
You'll never convince someone the sky is blue if they never take off their rose-colored glasses. If Parayko suddenly becomes Pronger, Krug becomes Bobby Orr, Thomas becomes Gretzky, Kyrou becomes Bure, Faulk becomes MacInnis, and Binnington becomes Brodeur, then we'll be totally fine.

you’d think we lost Bobby Orr this past season. Petro isn’t even a HOF caliber player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad