2020-2021 St. Louis Blues: Generic Thread Titles Be Damned (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think our season really hinges on Parayko returning to close to form, as the forward group is excellent and we have other good d-men but he is the key

I think we’ll need Schwartz back to 100% too. He’s such a key player. Remember, we’ve been playing lower echelon teams for a while now.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Why Blais is nothing but a 4th liner/extra

during the game on Monday there was a play in our own zone
the puck went along the wall towards the corner, Blais went BACK to get it
at the same time our defenseman was going UP the wall to get it
our defenseman was in moving in the correct direction to either skate the puck out or see the ice and make a pass
Blais was moving in a direction to do neither, yet he not only did not defer to his teammate, he RAN THROUGH HIM
it show he cannot recognize and adjust quick enough (and also explains some of his dumba** hits)
good illustration of in-spite of good skills, size, and speed he doesn't think the game well enough to be any more than a 4th liner at best

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Why Blais is nothing but a 4th liner/extra

during the game on Monday there was a play in our own zone
the puck went along the wall towards the corner, Blais went BACK to get it
at the same time our defenseman was going UP the wall to get it
our defenseman was in moving in the correct direction to either skate the puck out or see the ice and make a pass
Blais was moving in a direction to do neither, yet he not only did not defer to his teammate, he RAN THROUGH HIM
it show he cannot recognize and adjust quick enough (and also explains some of his dumba** hits)
good illustration of in-spite of good skills, size, and speed he doesn't think the game well enough to be any more than a 4th liner at best
100%. We sometimes let his skill fool us into thinking he can be more, but you nailed it.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
At this point, I don't see what Krug provides that Vince Dunn doesn't. There's not a significant gap between the two, and I would even argue that Dunn is a better skater.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
At this point, I don't see what Krug provides that Vince Dunn doesn't. There's not a significant gap between the two, and I would even argue that Dunn is a better skater.
I would say Dunn is a much better skater. Krug has great lateral movement, good edgework and a good swivel, but he does not possess straight away speed. I would say Dunn is pretty fast, whereas Krug is quick.

Reactions: Blueston

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I would say Dunn is a much better skater. Krug has great lateral movement, good edgework and a good swivel, but he does not possess straight away speed. I would say Dunn is pretty fast, whereas Krug is quick.

That's fair, but looking at the larger picture, do those things justify spending 6.5M on Krug? Maybe he needs more time to acclimate like Faulk, and I am totally understanding of that, but defensively, they look pretty similar at this point, although Krug doesn't turn it over as often during routine breakouts.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
That's fair, but looking at the larger picture, do those things justify spending 6.5M on Krug? Maybe he needs more time to acclimate like Faulk, and I am totally understanding of that, but defensively, they look pretty similar at this point, although Krug doesn't turn it over as often during routine breakouts.
Lol, you are talking to the wrong person. I hated the Krug signing the second I heard about it. In fact, I almost threw my phone! His contract ends when he is 36. He is 5'9", is not particularly fast, and plays a chippy, physical style. No one is going to convince me that that contract will age well. I am not saying that Krug is a bad player, he is a very good player. He is a great complimentary piece that can provide some offense, especially on the PP. I just don't think he is a first pairing defenseman, and he is being paid like one. I really think that Krug's signing was a mistake on Armstrong's part and that it will come back to bite him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blues Knight

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Krug is a much better passer than Dunn, and makes better quick decisions with the puck. He hasn't really cashed in much on the PP as only 5 of his 15 points have come with the man advantage. I'd say Krug is slightly better defensively than Dunn and far better offensively. Dunn often makes great individual plays, and is good getting his shot through but he's not as good moving the puck around as Krug. Torey has averaged nearly 60 points per 82 games the last 3 years, few d-men can put up those kind of numbers.

Fans can argue whether or not Krug was the right guy to sign, but I think he's considerably more valuable than Dunn. Krug is a 50-60 point d-man who can play 20-22 mins a night, which is probably Dunn's ceiling if he gets there but that is far from a guarantee.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
Does this feel like 1995-2002 or 2012-2015 again to anyone? Good lineup, fuzzy feelings for players, but the team is clearly in the second echelon of the conference and has little chance to get past the big boys?

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Does this feel like 1995-2002 or 2012-2015 again to anyone? Good lineup, fuzzy feelings for players, but the team is clearly in the second echelon of the conference and has little chance to get past the big boys?
I think it’s hard to say with so many players injured. Let’s see how the team is when they start to come back

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I really wish we’d run a box +1 powerplay like they did in Boston with Krug, and Washington has had so much success with. Tarasenko would be utilized much better in that situation, and it’s rotating nature would mean that we could have both Hoffman and Tarasenko be dangerous on it; we’ve never utilized Tarasenko properly on the powerplay.

Krug’s main strength is on the powerplay because he isn’t especially fast and struggles to stay with bigger, faster opponents (we saw that last night). He is still very good at transitioning the puck up the ice, but our breakout keeps our forwards high and rooted in the NZ instead of active (which is easily exploited by an aggressive forecheck). If we want to get the best out of Krug (and, in my opinion, Tarasenko, Hoffman, Kyrou, Thomas, Schwartz, and Perron), we need to make some changes to the breakout and Powerplay.

Dunn and Krug ARE about equal under the current system, since Dunn’s best abilities work well under it, while Krug’s worst abilities are currently similar to Dunn’s best.

boxonecycle.jpg

Last edited:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I really wish we’d run a box +1 powerplay like they did in Boston with Krug, and Washington has had so much success with. Tarasenko would be utilized much better in that situation, and it’s rotating nature would mean that we could have both Hoffman and Tarasenko be dangerous on it; we’ve never utilized Tarasenko properly on the powerplay.

Krug’s main strength is on the powerplay because he isn’t especially fast and struggles to stay with bigger, faster opponents (we saw that last night). He is still very good at transitioning the puck up the ice, but our breakout keeps our forwards high and rooted in the NZ instead of active (which is easily exploited by an aggressive forecheck). If we want to get the best out of Krug (and, in my opinion, Tarasenko, Hoffman, Kyrou, Thomas, Schwartz, and Perron), we need to make some changes to the breakout and Powerplay.

Dunn and Krug ARE about equal under the current system, since Dunn’s best abilities work well under it, while Krug’s worst abilities are currently similar to Dunn’s best.

boxonecycle.jpg

This post makes far too much sense, stop it!:sarcasm: Seriously though, good post! It has been an absolute mystery to me why a system like this hasn't been implemented.

Last edited:

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Need to find a veteran NHL backup out there at 50% retention on an expiring contract. Blues have 5 more back-to-backs and a lot of games every other day. Need someone more seasoned to share starts with Binnington.

Anyone stand out?
upload_2021-3-14_12-29-22.png

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
No, I think the Blues made their bed and won’t make a move in goal unless Binnington is injured. I don’t see them parting with assets for a back-up. We’ll probably just have to hope Husso plays better.

Reactions: Brian39

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Some interesting statistics from our last 6 games (all stats at 5v5).

Brayden Schenn has struggled without Kyrou and Schwartz with an on-ice xG share of just 35.9%. He's played the majority of his time with Mike Hoffman and they've really struggled to create chances averaging just 1.07 xGF/60 in their 48 minutes together.

Vince Dunn has been playing his best hockey of the season. With a rotating cast of partners Dunn has a 53.2% xG share, and leads the Blues with just 1.76 xGA/60 when he's on the ice.

The fourth line has played very well with Kyle Clifford actually leading the Blues in on-ice xG share at 59.6%. In 42 minutes together he and MacEachern have a 61.6% xG share and are generating a very high 3.4 xGF/60.

The Krug - Faulk pairing that got off to an outstanding start hasn't been quite as strong recently with a 44.8% xG share. Krug in particular has struggled defensively with a team worst 2.72 xGA/60. Faulk has also had great results with Scandella with a 61.6% xGF% on the year if Chief wants to switch things up.

Kyrou continues to be our best forward at 5v5 with a 56.5% xG share. Also safe to say at this point he is a great finisher who will usually outperform his xGF. What is his ceiling? I think it could be a PPG wing considered one of the league's best.

Edit: stats via Natural Stat Trick

For context, the Blues as a team have a 48% xG share averaging 2.09 xGF/60 and 2.27 xGA/60 over the last 6.
Can you sum up previous games on dmen part. How they have performed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad