Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The middle-6 is an issue with this team, and I'm not sure if Sheary fixes that. He's a more consistent Marcus Sorensen.

What's interesting to me is that players like Nieto and Sheary aren't guys who compete for NHL jobs. They are bonafide NHLers. Either DW doesn't think the prospects are currently NHL caliber, or he's setting a high standard for everyone (if you want to make this team, be at least a third-liner). Or, he's overcorrecting for last season.

Reactions: themelkman

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
The middle-6 is an issue with this team, and I'm not sure if Sheary fixes that. He's a more consistent Marcus Sorensen.

What's interesting to me is that players like Nieto and Sheary aren't guys who compete for NHL jobs. They are bonafide NHLers. Either DW doesn't think the prospects are currently NHL caliber, or he's setting a high standard for everyone (if you want to make this team, be at least a third-liner). Or, he's overcorrecting for last season.

Yes, better and probably cheaper. Improve the 3rd line and save money by including the now expendable Sorensen in trade. That's the kinda deal we should do more of, incremental improvement is still improvement. I think we see a trade before the season starts.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Sheary isn’t a C or a top 6 W. We have enough bottom 6ers.

The Sharks still have a big hole in the top-6, but their 3rd line last year was a colossal disaster. With Sheary, DW will have added 3 solid third liners in Donato, Sheary, and Nieto. That gives them good depth with Donato and Sheary being guys that can step into the top-6 with injuries, and Nieto being a good, fast 4th liner that can step up on the 3rd line if injuries hit. Sorensen, Gregor, and Noesen are all solid 4th liners with Gregor being another guy that can contribute on the third line. Marleau and Kellman are decent depth 4th liners as well. The one big bummer is that DW didn't address the big hole in the top-6, but he did do a good job shoring up the depth and in particular, the third line.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The Sharks still have a big hole in the top-6, but their 3rd line last year was a colossal disaster. With Sheary, DW will have added 3 solid third liners in Donato, Sheary, and Nieto. That gives them good depth with Donato and Sheary being guys that can step into the top-6 with injuries, and Nieto being a good, fast 4th liner that can step up on the 3rd line if injuries hit. Sorensen, Gregor, and Noesen are all solid 4th liners with Gregor being another guy that can contribute on the third line. Marleau and Kellman are decent depth 4th liners as well. The one big bummer is that DW didn't address the big hole in the top-6, but he did do a good job shoring up the depth and in particular, the third line.
You still have 0 centers. Out of every player you listed only Kellman is a C and he’s definitely not a 3rd liner.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
You still have 0 centers. Out of every player you listed only Kellman is a C and he’s definitely not a 3rd liner.

Donato is inconsistently tagged as possibly being a center. (Hockey-Ref calls him a C, CapFriendly says C/LW, NHL.com and by extension the Sharks' website roster call him a c)

That said he's only taken about 146 faceoffs across 130 career NHL GP.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
How? Complimentary player on any team. I think Sorensen might be a better comparison because all Sheary has is speed. Absolutely nothing else.
Dude...all hot takes and no actual analysis is a pointless way to participate. Sheary plays well with talent. Rotating him with Donato and Labanc in the top 6 gives the team competition which bring out the best in the overwhelming majority of athletes, especially guys that make it to the pros. One thing Sheary brings despite high end speed? A pretty great wrister and a very good sense of where to be on the ice in the offensive zone. No he's not going to put up 50 or 60 points but if he puts up 35 and fills in the top 6 when needed it's a decent signing assuming it's cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I think Handemark has a lot of potential but he's still never played an NHL game yet.
As I've said... they didn't sign a 27 year old to come play in their farm system. Dude has NHL size, apparently likes to hit and he's pretty great in the face-off circle. I'll be shocked if he isn't at least the 4th line center when the season starts.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
As I've said... they didn't sign a 27 year old to come play in their farm system. Dude has NHL size, apparently likes to hit and he's pretty great in the face-off circle. I'll be shocked if he isn't at least the 4th line center when the season starts.

Yea I mean, I'd imagine the 4C is going to be a competition between Handy, Kell, Suomela, and True, but I still think it's still a little soon to assume he'll slot into that 3C spot right away. That said, I'm not sure who would fit there as things stand right now.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I do think there's a trade coming, but that it won't materialize until late in the offseason. Probably just waiting out one of these cap-strapped teams. Maybe involving some retention and/or Sorensen. It's never seemed to me like DW is finished this offseason, more like he's needing to figure out a way to be creative about upgrading. I'm not thinking it's going to be huge, but I think we land something.
This is my thinking as well. He's basically filling any spots the young players would have been able to compete for. It would sure seem like he's making sure he has enough decent players so he can trade a few prospects and maybe a roster player for a better player.

Last edited:

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
We still need top 6 or 3C, not Sheary. And get rid of Sorensen and Gambrell.
*DW’s miracle trade(-s) waiting room*

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Go look up his stats. Sorenson wishes he could score as much as Sheary...

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yea I mean, I'd imagine the 4C is going to be a competition between Handy, Kell, Suomela, and True, but I still think it's still a little soon to assume he'll slot into that 3C spot right away. That said, I'm not sure who would fit there as things stand right now.
I don't think Shovels is even in that competition unless he shows up jacked. True is likely going to be too slow for how BB seems to want the team to play. Not if they want to make the playoffs. I still think that barring any other additions, it's handy at 3c and Kellman at 4c. Chemelski is a possibility though. Just don't know where he's at with his development though. I'm hoping Kellman is on the bench and handy is the 4c though just based on his physical ability. Kellman is small and wasn't much of a hitter.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Maybe the most informative thing from Peng article... Something that this board would do well to consider before proclaiming the world is ending.

"Here’s probably a good time for this public service announcement: Don’t read too much into a GM’s public proclamations."

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I don't think Shovels is even in that competition unless he shows up jacked. True is likely going to be too slow for how BB seems to want the team to play. Not if they want to make the playoffs. I still think that barring any other additions, it's handy at 3c and Kellman at 4c. Chemelski is a possibility though. Just don't know where he's at with his development though. I'm hoping Kellman is on the bench and handy is the 4c though just based on his physical ability. Kellman is small and wasn't much of a hitter.

This is kind of what I'm expecting as well, but I'm not sure it'll last long; I'd imagine the coaching staff will do a fair amount of rotating. It would be nice to see Chmelevski take a step forward but there's quite a traffic jam at 4C right now, and I'd imagine the org wants him to develop in the A for a bit longer until he shows he's ready.

Suomela hasn't looked terrible per se, and a lot of it seems to be the PDB factor, but I do agree he's not exactly the best option there as well. That spot seems to be one of the bigger holes in the lineup as it stands.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
A super fast, tiny winger — did we draft Sheary?!

We’re bargain hunting and frankly a complimentary player who can keep up and score with top line guys can easily play in our Top 6. Donskoi was in our top 6 many times in a season, I wouldn’t say he’s necessarily a top-6 player.

I think something like Kane - Couture - Sheary could be a fun line.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
A super fast, tiny winger — did we draft Sheary?!

We’re bargain hunting and frankly a complimentary player who can keep up and score with top line guys can easily play in our Top 6. Donskoi was in our top 6 many times in a season, I wouldn’t say he’s necessarily a top-6 player.

I think something like Kane - Couture - Sheary could be a fun line.
Kane worked well with Donkey on transition and odd man rushes. Could be the same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad