Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He’s a good depth option and has a lot more top-6 potential than say Nieto but yeah doesn’t address either of their biggest needs. However, I think it’s pretty clear at this point Doug isn’t filling those before the season starts.
Being a top 6 winger with Crosby/Malkin is A LOT different than a top 6 winger with Couture. He has 0 top 6 potential. He’s basically Melker Karlsson.

Reactions: Sandisfan

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Being a top 6 winger with Crosby/Malkin is A LOT different than a top 6 winger with Couture. He has 0 top 6 potential. He’s basically Melker Karlsson.

I’ll give you the Crosby/Malkin boost but comparing him to Melker is laughable.

Sheary is better than Melker, it's a step in the right direction but the concern that he isn't a top 6 is a real one. Sheng's article stated that the Sharks haven't reached out to Granlund or Haula, probably too expensive. Also, players might not want to take discounts to go to a team that isn't a cup contender or guaranteed to inflate their numbers, possible DW has called around with few interesting in joining the Sharks. This does show that DW is actually actively trying to improve the forward core, I'm betting he's bargain hunting in free agency and looking for trades. Keep in mind there are several teams that are looking to move out players, the market is dragging because every team is cap strapped because of the flat cap. The trade board prognosticators trend toward seeing this situation as a zero sum game(teams taking on entire contracts), but teams like Tampa may need to retain, take players back, sweeten, or expect much less in return in order to get under the cap. If DW can get Sheary it would also add more flexibility to make another trade and it gives the top 9 another option that isn't a prospect. If DW could add Donato, Sheary, and another scoring top 6 or upgraded 3c then it's been a fairly good offseason.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Sheary is better than Melker, it's a step in the right direction but the concern that he isn't a top 6 is a real one. Sheng's article stated that the Sharks haven't reached out to Granlund or Haula, probably too expensive. Also, players might not want to take discounts to go to a team that isn't a cup contender or guaranteed to inflate their numbers, possible DW has called around with few interesting in joining the Sharks. This does show that DW is actually actively trying to improve the forward core, I'm betting he's bargain hunting in free agency and looking for trades. Keep in mind there are several teams that are looking to move out players, the market is dragging because every team is cap strapped because of the flat cap. The trade board prognosticators trend toward seeing this situation as a zero sum game(teams taking on entire contracts), but teams like Tampa may need to retain, take players back, sweeten, or expect much less in return in order to get under the cap. If DW can get Sheary it would also add more flexibility to make another trade and it gives the top 9 another option that isn't a prospect. If DW could add Donato, Sheary, and another scoring top 6 or upgraded 3c then it's been a fairly good offseason.
I just wanted to point out that Shengs article states that DW DID reach out to Granlund but he’s waiting until the new year to decide.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

I do think there's a trade coming, but that it won't materialize until late in the offseason. Probably just waiting out one of these cap-strapped teams. Maybe involving some retention and/or Sorensen. It's never seemed to me like DW is finished this offseason, more like he's needing to figure out a way to be creative about upgrading. I'm not thinking it's going to be huge, but I think we land something.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
That's the same argument everyone always used to make that anyone playing with Jumbo would score 30-50 goals. Crosby isn't a god. Sheary is a better offensive player than Melker.
And Melker is better defensively. They’re equivalent players with minor differences.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Tbf, Melker isn't even much of a complimentary player.

full

How dare you. How dare you.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
OT but I was just watching 18/19 highlights and saw that they tied two games with less than 5 seconds remaining and scored a GWG with less than 5 in another. That's kinda ridiculous and I wonder how many times a team has scored 3 goals with under 5 seconds in regulation in a season before.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
OT but I was just watching 18/19 highlights and saw that they tied two games with less than 5 seconds remaining and scored a GWG with less than 5 in another. That's kinda ridiculous and I wonder how many times a team has scored 3 goals with under 5 seconds in regulation in a season before.

Funny enough, I remember some of those early 2010s teams being ridiculous at tying games late, especially with guys like Ryane Clowe on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad