Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
At that point though, it's pretty pointless to buy out Vlasic's contract. You're only saving about 2.5 in cap dollars. You only save about 1.16 mil in real dollars. Regardless of where the team is at, I don't see the juice being worth the squeeze by then. Honestly, for it to be worth doing, the team would have to eat some dead space for a while. I think you either do it this upcoming off-season or you do it in the 2023 off-season or you don't do it at all. But asking this team to take on 6 or 10 years of dead space likely is a non-starter.
10? Definitely. Any team doing that is insane. But as we get to the end of that contract if we need cap space then we can do it. Karlsson and Couture will have 1 year left, and all of our other current bad contracts should be gone. But I feel like I won't know where this team will be until after this season.

I really want training camp to start so we can finally start seeing what our prospects can contribute this year.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I am probably wrong, but if i am with when it ended this move was a catalyst to what made the league change that rule.

I am pretty sure trading cash stopped being a thing shortly after the gretzky trade.
I'm almost certain some of the trades that Lombardi made during the Sutter era involved cash. Pretty sure it went on up until the cap or just before.

here's one from the wings...
Draper made sure Red Wings got bang for their buck

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I think it's more likely Vlasic is traded with retention than bought out. At $4-5M his value is probably decent. Of course, if you retain $2M and spend $4M on a replacement, it doesn't make much sense. Maybe if we drafted someone like Power/Lambos/Hughes it could make sense. Given the team make-up, I'd obviously prefer a 1st line forward if we're drafting top 10, but this draft seems D heavy, and we could certainly use a top pairing LHD.

Not sure we're bottom 10 bad, but certainly could be.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think it's more likely Vlasic is traded with retention than bought out. At $4-5M his value is probably decent. Of course, if you retain $2M and spend $4M on a replacement, it doesn't make much sense. Maybe if we drafted someone like Power/Lambos/Hughes it could make sense. Given the team make-up, I'd obviously prefer a 1st line forward if we're drafting top 10, but this draft seems D heavy, and we could certainly use a top pairing LHD.

Not sure we're bottom 10 bad, but certainly could be.

If we're not getting Minnesota in our division this season, they are absolutely bottom 10 bad potentially. In a short season though, a lot of possibilities are on the table. But wherever they're at on the draft board next year, they should still take BPA. They still need forward help. They need blue line help down the road. We'll see. There will certainly be less potential this upcoming draft compared to this past one.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
If we're not getting Minnesota in our division this season, they are absolutely bottom 10 bad potentially. In a short season though, a lot of possibilities are on the table. But wherever they're at on the draft board next year, they should still take BPA. They still need forward help. They need blue line help down the road. We'll see. There will certainly be less potential this upcoming draft compared to this past one.

Yeah, think we're largely in agreement. On BPA, in three years, we need a top pairing two-way D, and need it more than a 1st line wing, but less than a #1 center. That said, San Jose need all three, and pretty quick.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think this season is such a wash, that it's likely DW made the right move just staying put. I'm sure if a deal for a young good player is available and he can swing it, he will or should try, but otherwise... the world and league are in such an uncertain place, it feels risky to enter into any kind of big contracts, etc. It'll be a nice year to see where some of the young guys are at and see how the team plays. Maybe if they're good 20 games in, he can swing for someone.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Such a shame to see Vlasic's name as dirt on here.

Sure, he's nowhere near his contract value now - not in any way, shape or form, but he was an outstanding asset (and ironically, probably underpaid at a smudge over $4m) for several years. That doesn't justify the current situation at all, but to me, he served the franchise so well for so long.

Would I move on? Anyone with sane analysis would say so, yes. But it's just a shame to see the vitriol there now.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Sure, he's nowhere near his contract value now - not in any way, shape or form, but he was an outstanding asset (and ironically, probably underpaid at a smudge over $4m) for several years. That doesn't justify the current situation at all, but to me, he served the franchise so well for so long.

Would I move on? Anyone with sane analysis would say so, yes. But it's just a shame to see the vitriol there now.
He also brings much of the vitriol on himself. He is a rude and brash individual with a chip on his shoulder every time he speaks in front of a camera. Same goes for Karlsson. When you act like a dweeb on camera, the fanbase is unlikely to give you a break. Right or wrong, that is the only peak behind the curtain most people get with these guys other than what they see on the ice. So add poor play, horrific contract, and poor attitude, there is your vitriol.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I would hope Vlasic retires as a Shark. I honestly wouldn’t even be opposed to retiring his number. Guy has been as much a Shark as Marleau.

But the way you win is by exceeding performance relative to cap. Vlasic’s contract is bad. Karlsson’s contract is bad. I can separate my distaste for a contract from the man. I am happy Vlasic got paid. He deserved it. But we should move the asset if we intend to contend.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I would hope Vlasic retires as a Shark. I honestly wouldn’t even be opposed to retiring his number. Guy has been as much a Shark as Marleau.

But the way you win is by exceeding performance relative to cap. Vlasic’s contract is bad. Karlsson’s contract is bad. I can separate my distaste for a contract from the man. I am happy Vlasic got paid. He deserved it. But we should move the asset if we intend to contend.
I agree Vlassic should retire as a Shark. Tomorrow.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I think you're conflating what people have to say about two different things. Most of us would agree that Vlasic was a tremendous defenseman for us throughout his prime.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
NHL-Star Timo Meier über San José, Morddrohungen und Joe Thornton - watson

Interesting interview with Timo Meier. He's been surprisingly blunt with his answers. Just a few points:

- says that the coaching change "didn't help" and that DeBoer is a super coach

- says that they were never a team last season. He believes the team would have been good enough to win the cup if wouldn't have been for everybody trying to run his own show

- says they thought they'd make the playoffs anyway and were surprised to face adversity. Says it's been a good lesson for him as a young player

- says he never felt tired all season long and could have played more minutes

- had shoulder surgery in the summer

- says his draft interview with the Sharks was brutal. Felt like they hated him and would never draft him.

- says his rookie dinner did cost 28'000 dollars for 30 persons. Thankfully his share was just 7000 dollars

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California

Interesting interview with Timo Meier. He's been surprisingly blunt with his answers. Just a few points:

- says that they were never a team last season. He believes the team would have been good enough to win the cup if wouldn't have been for everybody trying to run his own show

- says they thought they'd make the playoffs anyway and were surprised to face adversity. Says it's been a good lesson for him as a young player

- says his draft interview with the Sharks was brutal. Felt like they hated him and would never draft him.

- says his rookie dinner did cost 28'000 dollars for 30 persons. Thankfully his share was just 7000 dollars
I appreciate his honestly from his perspective, but it objectively did help.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

I think you're seeing people kinda hate on him not just because of his contract. It's because he seems to not play hard quite a bit. 2 seasons ago he was a tire fire all season but when the playoffs came he suddenly started playing well again. It seemed like he wanted to play outside of his skill set and he failed miserably at it.

So he's an idiot... Great. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Patty Ice

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I appreciate his honestly from his perspective, but it objectively did help.

I agree.

I can see where he's coming from...DeBoer's system is great and Meier is pretty much built for it. He must have liked it a lot.

But what he obviously didn't realize is that DeBoer's coaching was often questionable ingame as well as how stubborn DeBoer was with many decisions. Meier also seems to have forgotten that it was DeBoer holding him back for far too long.

I haven't read many interviews like this from nhl players. I think Meier is legit pissed:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad