Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
What We Could See During The 2021 Season That We’ve Never Seen Before | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca
Friedman talks about tampa at like 32 mins in the 31 thoughts podcast and mentions that they have asked just about everyone if they would waive, and know they may have to move guys like Goodrow or Coleman if they cant get this figured out. I do wonder if there could be a deal somewhere for the sharks to look at. Killorn is probably out of our price range, but Coleman would be amazing for this team at his cap hit.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
With the news of no financial changes and a season apparently imminent for mid Jan, I'm betting DW is about to make another move or 2. Wether it's a trade or a signing, somethings going to happen before training camp IMO. Tampa is obviously ripe for picking if it's a trade. Let's hope for the best. I am bummed they couldn't agree to a slight increase to the cap that was apparently discussed as that would have been the best thing for the Sharks.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
With the news of no financial changes and a season apparently imminent for mid Jan, I'm betting DW is about to make another move or 2. Wether it's a trade or a signing, somethings going to happen before training camp IMO. Tampa is obviously ripe for picking if it's a trade. Let's hope for the best. I am bummed they couldn't agree to a slight increase to the cap that was apparently discussed as that would have been the best thing for the Sharks.
That would have seriously added some ability. I dont think the sharks can afford Killorn and I cant see tampa retaining so the only trades I really see are the sharks maybe taking pretty bad players with some salary like Coburn or Paquette. I think a signing is likely, as the ones left will be looking for homes finally.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Hey guys, Avs fan coming in peace.

Just wondering what's the general consensus on Vlasic and his contract from those who are more in the know. Does he play it out? Is he close to retirement? Will they buy him out?

Thanks in advance!

seroes

May 3, 2016
California

Just wondering what's the general consensus on Vlasic and his contract from those who are more in the know. Does he play it out? Is he close to retirement? Will they buy him out?

Thanks in advance!
Most likely play it out or at least get very close. But he should be a serviceable defenseman for the duration. Just extremely overpaid. He would probably waive if you want him though.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Most likely play it out or at least get very close. But he should be a serviceable defenseman for the duration. Just extremely overpaid. He would probably waive if you want him though.

He hasn't even been a serviceable defenseman for the first two years

Reggae Shark

Sep 30, 2018

Thanks in advance!

Don't listen to all the salt shakers in here.

Vlassic hasn't been good last few years but attitude has been the greatest issue. In his defense, he probably qualified as a guy that needed a fresh start instead of that anchor contract on a team in transition. Having said that, i would guarantee he has some high end years still in the tank. Providing something motivates him, and i'm sure a real cup run would get him going.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I dont think that's true. He's just at a bottom pairing level.

For what its worth, Corey Sznajder's tracking shows Vlasic to have been pretty decent at preventing zone entries but not exceptional. He doesn't exit the zone with the puck at all (I suppose if you have Burns and Karlsson on the ice with you, there's zero reason to try and exit the zone on your own) and doesn't generate much offense. That profile sounds like he's fine for the Sharks, but significantly overpaid (with the NMC adding another nasty wrinkle).

Micah McCurdy's HockeyViz sees Vlasic as being pretty poor everywhere, though - doesn't generate offense, doesn't shut down opposing offense, and doesn't shutdown opposing power plays. I suppose the caveat there is that McCurdy relies on shot location data from other sources and doesn't include blocked shots (because he lacks location data for those). Vlasic blocks lots of shots, so maybe he looks worse than he really is on defense.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

Thanks in advance!
He won't finish the contract with the Sharks. He'll either be moved with retention or bought out at some point.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
For what its worth, Corey Sznajder's tracking shows Vlasic to have been pretty decent at preventing zone entries but not exceptional. He doesn't exit the zone with the puck at all (I suppose if you have Burns and Karlsson on the ice with you, there's zero reason to try and exit the zone on your own) and doesn't generate much offense. That profile sounds like he's fine for the Sharks, but significantly overpaid (with the NMC adding another nasty wrinkle).

Micah McCurdy's HockeyViz sees Vlasic as being pretty poor everywhere, though - doesn't generate offense, doesn't shut down opposing offense, and doesn't shutdown opposing power plays. I suppose the caveat there is that McCurdy relies on shot location data from other sources and doesn't include blocked shots (because he lacks location data for those). Vlasic blocks lots of shots, so maybe he looks worse than he really is on defense.
Whichever stats you use that contract is brutal. At least the last 3 years the nmc becomes just a 3 team list. Not sure that will matter though.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Right now, the organizational depth is insanely deep despite being thin...with a fully healthy team, only one of Handemark, True, Bergmann, Letunov, or Suomela is likely to be dressed at any one time...all players who I don't think have much else to learn outside of the NHL. Not to mention that that spot could be conceivably seized by Blichfeld, Halbgewachs, Leonard, Chmelevski, Chekohvich, or someone else.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

McCurdy's charts use all Fenwick (unblocked shot) events, so if Vlasic is suppressing enemy unblocked shot attempts by blocking shots , that should show up in the metrics. It doesn't because, despite blocking shots well and denying zone entries, he has a terrible impact on his team's results in both ends.

In theory, if he was an excellent shot blocker, including blocked shots would only make him look worse.

Reactions: Cas

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Don't listen to all the salt shakers in here.

Vlassic hasn't been good last few years but attitude has been the greatest issue. In his defense, he probably qualified as a guy that needed a fresh start instead of that anchor contract on a team in transition. Having said that, i would guarantee he has some high end years still in the tank. Providing something motivates him, and i'm sure a real cup run would get him going.

Better to shake out salt than blow a bunch of hot air, which is what you're doing. Vlasic has been terrible for the past 2 years and he started declining several years before that. It's a mix of his shit attitude (stretches of him making lazy plays), declining speed, and poor positioning. He had one playoff run (2019) where he was actually good after several years of decline, but given this past season that followed, it's pretty safe to give credit to Burns' superstar play in the 2019 playoffs for that.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
That would have seriously added some ability. I dont think the sharks can afford Killorn and I cant see tampa retaining so the only trades I really see are the sharks maybe taking pretty bad players with some salary like Coburn or Paquette. I think a signing is likely, as the ones left will be looking for homes finally.
I think their will be some movement around the league still that might allow the Sharks to fit someone like Killorn if they go that way.
Right now, the organizational depth is insanely deep despite being thin...with a fully healthy team, only one of Handemark, True, Bergmann, Letunov, or Suomela is likely to be dressed at any one time...all players who I don't think have much else to learn outside of the NHL. Not to mention that that spot could be conceivably seized by Blichfeld, Halbgewachs, Leonard, Chmelevski, Chekohvich, or someone else.
Pretty much agree, hence the reason I think DW may be working on a 2 or 3 for 1 deal to move out a prospect or 2 and maybe Sorenson for someone to help solidify the top 6 or 9 or at least push guys like Labanc and Donato so they don't get complacent. I could just as easily be wrong but the numbers suggest a move like this could be possible. We'll have to but at least they are moving toward possibly playing soon.

Just had a thought... Back in the day teams could trade cash in these transactions. I'm assuming its not allowed anymore but having the richest owner to add a little sweetener to trades to cash strapped teams in a time like this would be helpful.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I think their will be some movement around the league still that might allow the Sharks to fit someone like Killorn if they go that way.

Pretty much agree, hence the reason I think DW may be working on a 2 or 3 for 1 deal to move out a prospect or 2 and maybe Sorenson for someone to help solidify the top 6 or 9 or at least push guys like Labanc and Donato so they don't get complacent. I could just as easily be wrong but the numbers suggest a move like this could be possible. We'll have to but at least they are moving toward possibly playing soon.

Just had a thought... Back in the day teams could trade cash in these transactions. I'm assuming its not allowed anymore but having the richest owner to add a little sweetener to trades to cash strapped teams in a time like this would be helpful.

I am probably wrong, but if i am with when it ended this move was a catalyst to what made the league change that rule.

I am pretty sure trading cash stopped being a thing shortly after the gretzky trade.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Thats at least 3 years down the line. Probably 4.

The team's buyout history at this point shows only buying out someone's final year. If that proves true here, they wouldn't buy out Vlasic until 2025. I just don't know if the team is willing to carry any more dead money for any real length of time. I'm more inclined that they're willing to play it out rather than move on from it.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
The team's buyout history at this point shows only buying out someone's final year. If that proves true here, they wouldn't buy out Vlasic until 2025. I just don't know if the team is willing to carry any more dead money for any real length of time. I'm more inclined that they're willing to play it out rather than move on from it.
Possibly. It may really depend on where we are at that point. Rebuilding, coming out or one, or are we still competing?

Reactions: themelkman

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Possibly. It may really depend on where we are at that point. Rebuilding, coming out or one, or are we still competing?

At that point though, it's pretty pointless to buy out Vlasic's contract. You're only saving about 2.5 in cap dollars. You only save about 1.16 mil in real dollars. Regardless of where the team is at, I don't see the juice being worth the squeeze by then. Honestly, for it to be worth doing, the team would have to eat some dead space for a while. I think you either do it this upcoming off-season or you do it in the 2023 off-season or you don't do it at all. But asking this team to take on 6 or 10 years of dead space likely is a non-starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->