Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 1 - Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I'm not sure what it would take to get rid of Vlasic but the Marleau situation was vastly different so it's hard to compare. Marleau's cap hit was 6.25 regardless of what happened and he only wanted to play in one place while asking anyone else to buy him out at a full hit. Vlasic likely will play wherever he ends up so there may be some level of a hockey trade involved. I don't know what exactly but any trade that moves him out will be a good trade for the Sharks. That's why I doubt it happens at all. lol
The other issue is the full NMC. He is not going to sign off to go to someone like Detroit and go through a rebuild. The only place I could see him going would be Montreal because they're still relevant and it's his home. We would have to take Alzner assuredly but then not sure what else it would take to get that deal done.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The other issue is the full NMC. He is not going to sign off to go to someone like Detroit and go through a rebuild. The only place I could see him going would be Montreal because they're still relevant and it's his home. We would have to take Alzner assuredly but then not sure what else it would take to get that deal done.

That and how DW tends to handle NMC's. It's up to Vlasic to leave. If he wants to go then DW will oblige him. If he doesn't, DW is going to ride it out with him. It's never going to be feasible cap-wise to buy out Vlasic. I hope it's true that they had talked about it at some point this season but I'm not getting my hopes up.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
That and how DW tends to handle NMC's. It's up to Vlasic to leave. If he wants to go then DW will oblige him. If he doesn't, DW is going to ride it out with him. It's never going to be feasible cap-wise to buy out Vlasic. I hope it's true that they had talked about it at some point this season but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I have zero doubt that Jones is gonna get bought out before Vlasic if either does at all lol.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I think DW knows that he needs to be aggressive in the current cap environment which leads me to think he would at least approach Vlasic and Burns about what teams (if any) they'd be willing to accept a trade to. That said, I also think a large issue is that DW and the org don't seem to think that Vlasic is bad based on everything they've said the past two years about him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I have zero doubt that Jones is gonna get bought out before Vlasic if either does at all lol.

I just don't see the savings being enough to justify it on either player. Especially so for Vlasic.

I think DW knows that he needs to be aggressive in the current cap environment which leads me to think he would at least approach Vlasic and Burns about what teams (if any) they'd be willing to accept a trade to. That said, I also think a large issue is that DW and the org don't seem to think that Vlasic is bad based on everything they've said the past two years about him.

He could use the pandemic as an excuse to break with his principle on this issue but I don't know. He doesn't need to approach Burns since he has three teams to move him to and I'm sure he can work out a deal with one of them since I'm as close to 100% as I can be that Dallas is on that list and they would trade for him. But you're probably right with how they view Vlasic as not bad but then again they definitely butter up their players for the purposes of keeping their trade values up. Douglas Murray is one example. He was bad by practically every measure near the end but they still talked him up publicly.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
What do all y'all think about an offer to Nashville of Sorenson Gambrell and a 21 third to Nashville for Bonino. He only has one year at 4.1 but he certainly would push Jumbo down to 4C. Given the cap situation, is it enough to offer?

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
What do all y'all think about an offer to Nashville of Sorenson Gambrell and a 21 third to Nashville for Bonino. He only has one year at 4.1 but he certainly would push Jumbo down to 4C. Given the cap situation, is it enough to offer?
No need for Jumbo at 4C. There are so many internal options for that spot in Handemark, Kellman (now that he appears to be staying in NA), and True. Could even put Gambrell in that conversation if not traded. For Jumbo it's either he plays at 3C or leaves. Rather just rip the bandaid off and let him leave and go in another direction altogether.

As far as Bonino, not opposed to him at 3C, just don't want him at $4.1 million with so many other holes to fill on the roster. Don't know that he does enough to elevate the team to justify spending so much of our scarce cap space on him.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Would rather try to reacquire Tierney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad