Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 1 - Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Toronto would be dumb to trade Marner (only 23 years old) for 35 year old Burns. The Sharks also need to clear up cap space for the future. I think Burns will be a Shark next season, then won't be protected. Love #88, but he will be declining soon.

The best scenario would be buying out Jones and going in a different direction in net, but I highly doubt the Sharks will give up on Jones yet. I hope they can sign a cheap goalie like Greiss who can split time with Jones and push him for the starting job.

This team is far away from getting back in the playoffs - we need at least 2 impact forwards, a middle pairing d-man and a good goalie.

What pisses me off is that the Leafs, Penguins and Predators have stated they need to make changes while the Sharks and Doug Wilson have been distant and quiet. This organization drives me crazy.

Of course Toronto would be dumb to do that. They aren't going to go for that. The thing they need is not likely to be available for trade for them.

As for Burns, until he actually declines in DW's eyes, he's probably not going anywhere. Simek will be the guy they expose for the expansion.

With Jones, buying him out doesn't make much cap sense. The options that are out there and the savings gained are likely not going to turn into something markedly better than what they'd have if they went with him and got better defensively. Now if there's a trade out there that makes sense with him going then do it because sometimes a change of scenery for goalies and teams are a good thing but if that's not there, just go with him and find a 2-3 mil goalie and see what happens.

The goaltending is still secondary to the lack of talent up front. I'd like to see two impact forwards but am only expecting a decent 2nd line type due to cap constraints. Only way that it changes is if DW pulls off a miracle to move Vlasic and/or Jones without taking some sort of contract back that is equally as difficult to get rid of.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Unfortunately, I think two impact forwards is right, though maybe SJ could be competitive with one impact forward, one quality third liner, and getting lucky with a kid, EU free agent, or reclamation project like what the Isles got with Brassard.

I'd like to see them take shots at an EU free agent and a reclamation project in addition to signing/trading for a top 6 forward.
The reality is I think we need a playmaking right wing, and those are few and far between.

I'd love to see a creative way to bring in Hall, Nylander, Marner, Palmeiri, and Ehlers, but that's almost certainly not happening. With the goal of respectability, I'd be interested in Kapanen, Strome, Perron (if they sign Pietro). I don't love Tofolli, and not sure we can afford Dadonov, but either would be massive upgrades requiring no assets. I like Craig Smith, but think paying UFA prices for a guy who's a complimentary second liner might be a mistake.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Unfortunately, I think two impact forwards is right, though maybe SJ could be competitive with one impact forward, one quality third liner, and getting lucky with a kid, EU free agent, or reclamation project like what the Isles got with Brassard.

I'd like to see them take shots at an EU free agent and a reclamation project in addition to signing/trading for a top 6 forward.
The reality is I think we need a playmaking right wing, and those are few and far between.

I'd love to see a creative way to bring in Hall, Nylander, Marner, Palmeiri, and Ehlers, but that's almost certainly not happening. With the goal of respectability, I'd be interested in Kapanen, Strome, Perron (if they sign Pietro). I don't love Tofolli, and not sure we can afford Dadonov, but either would be massive upgrades requiring no assets. I like Craig Smith, but think paying UFA prices for a guy who's a complimentary second liner might be a mistake.

Craig Smith is a risky signing given his playoff performances. Seems like a solid regular season guy that falters in the playoffs. If you can keep the contract to a couple years with him then I'd be for it but otherwise, he's a last resort sort of signing. He wouldn't be another Ward because Ward was pretty consistently solid as a playoff performer before coming to San Jose. I would understand if the Sharks went with him because they have to go somewhere as internal options failed miserably for them in the top six but Smith is also declining from top six level as well. He may get a jolt starting fresh elsewhere but that's backfired on many teams before.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Craig Smith is a risky signing given his playoff performances. Seems like a solid regular season guy that falters in the playoffs. If you can keep the contract to a couple years with him then I'd be for it but otherwise, he's a last resort sort of signing. He wouldn't be another Ward because Ward was pretty consistently solid as a playoff performer before coming to San Jose. I would understand if the Sharks went with him because they have to go somewhere as internal options failed miserably for them in the top six but Smith is also declining from top six level as well. He may get a jolt starting fresh elsewhere but that's backfired on many teams before.

If they can land Dadonov or Toffoli + Smith and re-sign Labanc for about ~13M combined, that's a big win imo. If they can then move Sorensen, that should leave about 5M to fill out the rest of the roster (Noesen 1M, 2 depth D fo 1.5M, Jumbo 1M, and 1.5M for a backup goalie). It's super tight, but that'd be a good haul and adds another F in addition to Smith...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If they can land Dadonov or Toffoli + Smith and re-sign Labanc for about ~13M combined, that's a big win imo. If they can then move Sorensen, that should leave about 5M to fill out the rest of the roster (Noesen 1M, 2 depth D fo 1.5M, Jumbo 1M, and 1.5M for a backup goalie). It's super tight, but that'd be a good haul and adds another F in addition to Smith...

I think most of this is possible but the backup goalie part is hard for me to think that the team will do that. The team ended this season riding Dell mostly until the last month where they split the time and Jones, while better statistically than previous seasons, was still shaky and was starting to fall off again the last two starts. I can't see them just giving him the starting job even with the contract without some insurance policy. That typically involves more investment than 1.5 mil.

I just want this playoff nonsense to be over with so we can actually see some action. I fully expect next season to be a bubble season so even though we won't see the team, at least something will happen. lol

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think most of this is possible but the backup goalie part is hard for me to think that the team will do that. The team ended this season riding Dell mostly until the last month where they split the time and Jones, while better statistically than previous seasons, was still shaky and was starting to fall off again the last two starts. I can't see them just giving him the starting job even with the contract without some insurance policy. That typically involves more investment than 1.5 mil.

I just want this playoff nonsense to be over with so we can actually see some action. I fully expect next season to be a bubble season so even though we won't see the team, at least something will happen. lol

dude, same.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I really like Craig Smith if he comes cheap as I completely agree with Pinkfloyd's assessment. The playoff numbers are non-existent. I also do not believe that Nashville used him on the PK this past season. I would love him as a possession driving third liner and 2nd PP unit net front presence who might be able to play up the line-up for a bit. He has value, but I think he will be paid far more than he's worth. I'd have a hard time going over 2.5 in this economy.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Think Haula is worth taking a short-term flyer on? Could he be a 3c? i dont know too much about his except that he is fast and we need speed
I would love to add a Haula type at 3C to get that group to push pace compared to the style it plays with Jumbo. A line with Marleau/Gregor-Haula-Labanc would be fun to watch get up and down the ice. Or even bring in Athanasiou (EDM not going to qualify him) to play with someone like Haula. Just a change of pace in the bottom 6 compared to the slower power game of the top 6 would be nice.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I would love to add a Haula type at 3C to get that group to push pace compared to the style it plays with Jumbo. A line with Marleau/Gregor-Haula-Labanc would be fun to watch get up and down the ice. Or even bring in Athanasiou (EDM not going to qualify him) to play with someone like Haula. Just a change of pace in the bottom 6 compared to the slower power game of the top 6 would be nice.

Yea and I think he could fill in a top 6 hole if there is an injury as well. He put up 29 with Vegas

Wonder why his time in Carolina and Florida was so poor

Reactions: Sandisfan

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Oh right sorry forgot it was wilson.

To devils
Labanc
Vlasic
Jones

To sharks
Njd 2020 1st round pick
Njd 2021 1st round lick

:naughty:

In all seriousness, do we think Tampa's pick + another asset like a B/C prospect would be enough to dump Vlasic? Toronto had to give up a 1st to get rid of PM's cap hit for only 1 year, but I can't tell if that was the required price or yet another display of Dubas' poor asset management...

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Yea and I think he could fill in a top 6 hole if there is an injury as well. He put up 29 with Vegas

Wonder why his time in Carolina and Florida was so poor
He got off to a hot start with Carolina and then got injured. Never looked great after the injury.

Reactions: tiburon12

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
:naughty:

In all seriousness, do we think Tampa's pick + another asset like a B/C prospect would be enough to dump Vlasic? Toronto had to give up a 1st to get rid of PM's cap hit for only 1 year, but I can't tell if that was the required price or yet another display of Dubas' poor asset management...

I'm not sure what it would take to get rid of Vlasic but the Marleau situation was vastly different so it's hard to compare. Marleau's cap hit was 6.25 regardless of what happened and he only wanted to play in one place while asking anyone else to buy him out at a full hit. Vlasic likely will play wherever he ends up so there may be some level of a hockey trade involved. I don't know what exactly but any trade that moves him out will be a good trade for the Sharks. That's why I doubt it happens at all. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad