2020-2021 Roster Thread

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I thought they just said it would be the same opponent two to four games in a row not that those games would take place on consecutive days. I guess we'll know for sure within the hour though.

I'm just quoting what Freidman said. Insanity if true but the NHL wants to squeeze in as many games as possible. Could be interesting if the Preds rotate JOFA then Duchene's line as #1 lines. then rotate the other lines when they are fresh.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Getting lost in all this is that I think it's in our best interest to give Kunin a fair chance to succeed in a top-6 role. He's young, has potential and is ultimately one of the few who will have a future of some kind with this franchise.

I'd like for him to turn out a 20-25 goal scorer on that 2nd line.. and I want to see him getting top-6 ice-time next season, something he was never given in Minnesota. Rather give him the minutes than say, Haula or Jarnkrok.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Quote by Joseph Stalin: “Quantity has a quality all its own.”

Why not weaponize the taxi squad? 6 total forward lines if every series is a back to back?

FORSBERGJOHANSENARVIDSSON TOLVANENDUCHENEJARNKROK
HAULAKUNIN GRANLUND GRIMALDISISSONSTRENIN
COUSINSRICHARDSONTOMASINO PITLICKHARPER

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Who is ever the freshest plays a second game.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm just quoting what Freidman said. Insanity if true but the NHL wants to squeeze in as many games as possible. Could be interesting if the Preds rotate JOFA then Duchene's line as #1 lines. then rotate the other lines when they are fresh.

This is what I was going off of which makes it sound like it's multiple matchups in a row not consecutive days:

I really struggle to believe the NHL would ever play 3-4 games on straight days. How did they phrase it in the podcast?

Quote by Joseph Stalin: “Quantity has a quality all its own.”

Why not weaponize the taxi squad? 6 total forward lines if every series is a back to back?

FORSBERGJOHANSENARVIDSSONTOLVANENDUCHENEJARNKROK
HAULAKUNIN GRANLUNDGRIMALDISISSONSTRENIN
COUSINSRICHARDSONTOMASINOPITLICKHARPER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Who is ever the freshest plays a second game.

The issue with this is that the taxi squad guys have to clear waivers so other than Tomasino, Pitlick, and Tolvanen you risk losing those guys by putting them back on the taxi squad.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
This is what I was going off of which makes it sound like it's multiple matchups in a row not consecutive days:

I really struggle to believe the NHL would ever play 3-4 games on straight days. How did they phrase it in the podcast?

The issue with this is that the taxi squad guys have to clear waivers so other than Tomasino, Pitlick, and Tolvanen you risk losing those guys by putting them back on the taxi squad.

I can't find the podcast, sorry. I delete them as finish them. I sent Friedman a tweet asking. Also I am unclear how the waivers work, I thought it was just for AHL to main roster?

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I can't find the podcast, sorry. I delete them as finish them. I sent Friedman a tweet asking. Also I am unclear how the waivers work, I thought it was just for AHL to main roster?

The taxi squad is being treated as the AHL in terms of waivers so if they'd have to be waived to go the AHL they'd have to be waived to go on the taxi squad. The schedule is supposed to be coming out right around now so what that will look like should be clear soon. Either way though they still are going to have to average a game almost every other day so fatigue will definitely play some role.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

I would have to believe that the "3-4 gamer" is just consecutive games against the same opponent and not 3-4 straight days.

Reactions: PredsV82

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Has anyone done the math on this comparing average games per day versus a normal season. I was curious how "dense" this schedule is.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Has anyone done the math on this comparing average games per day versus a normal season. I was curious how "dense" this schedule is.

Assuming I counted right its 56 games in 114 days. In the 18-19 season we had 82 games over 201 days. So that would be 0.49 games/day this year versus 0.41 games/day in 18-19 so roughly 2.5 games more per month than a normal season.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Assuming I counted right its 56 games in 114 days. In the 18-19 season we had 82 games over 201 days. So that would be 0.49 games/day this year versus 0.41 games/day in 18-19 so roughly 2.5 games more per month than a normal season.

Thanks for this. On top of the already crazy-densed schedule you have to figure there will be some COVID-related issues that are going to put players on quarantines and such. Which is why depth is more key than ever.

10 sets of back-to-backs and a bunch of 3 games in 4 nights sets.

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
So, if really Tampa is going to get a way without moving anybody and with neither Hoffman nor Hall wanted to sign here, I thought Poile's pickups were fine at this time.

I think everyone here would've preferred Killorn, Hall, Hoffman or even a guy like Marchessault but seemingly those guys weren't available for us. I like that Poile went ahead and strengthened the forward group, even though the moves were pretty underwhelming.

Reactions: OldFan

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Maybe Granlund, Haula and Kunin could form a line. Came from the same system(not a good system though).

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I reserve the right to be giddy over whatever success this team ends up having this season, but I'd still like to be on record as saying that I'd really prefer to just run with the kids. Hopefully they can still get some good opportunities throughout the condensed schedule.
With the schedule published youth would be a good thing.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Now that I know the rules of waivers and the taxi squad, make the taxi squad all ELCs and guys NO ONE would claim. Waivers do not effect goalies if you have less than 2 on your roster. Do the Preds have 9 ELCs to taxi?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I reserve the right to be giddy over whatever success this team ends up having this season, but I'd still like to be on record as saying that I'd really prefer to just run with the kids. Hopefully they can still get some good opportunities throughout the condensed schedule.

What kids are ready in our system? You could try them of course but if they’re just going to be way over in their heads, you’re probably ultimately hurting their development. I’d also argue that in a season like this one, a lot of kids are going to get their looks and even with the recent acquisitions, there’s still room for a kid or two in the lineup.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The way I see it is even with Granlund there is still a top six winger role open for the taking. If the younger guys can’t earn that spot over Jarnkrok or Grimaldi then they aren’t ready. They shouldn’t get ice time on the virtue of being younger.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I am not enthused about this roster or season. This roster is a bunch of spare parts on the forward side, who might be able to do something but likely won’t. Our defense is too soft on the interior. Mediocrity here we come.

Reactions: Byrddog and Pr0fet

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Thanks for this. On top of the already crazy-densed schedule you have to figure there will be some COVID-related issues that are going to put players on quarantines and such. Which is why depth is more key than ever.

10 sets of back-to-backs and a bunch of 3 games in 4 nights sets.
In terms of Covid issues and all... I mean... I always just assumed the privileged would get vaccinated first... and I'm ok with that. I mean, if hockey (or other pro sports) are on the tube, more people are hopefully staying home to watch, and that's a net plus in terms of containing the spread? So spending a few thousand vaccinations on these types of individuals wouldn't be a terrible investment from an overall public health perspective? It isn't just rich people jumping the line. It could actually make some sense? :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad