Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion VI - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Wait. I know I have a lot of problems with reading comprehension, so someone please explain this to me:

Bruins team president Cam Neely last week observed some teams were pressed for cap space and will probably have to do something.

So, is that saying Neely didn't know until last week what the rest of the hockey world has known for months?

Or

Is it bad writing?
No idea, but passively waiting on other teams to make a mistake is no way to treat your captain.

I also don't get how "we want to finally give our young defesnemen an opportunity" and "we are looking to trade for a defenseman" works.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Who do you think might surprise - make the team?

Removing Studnicka (obvious choice... bruins keep him in Providence)

Forwards
Blidth

D-Men
Zboril

Hoping for....
Senyshyn
Zboril
Hughes
Frederick

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Not a stellar off season for Sweeney. There was opportunity in a flat cap world to improve the team and it didn't happen. Bringing in a third line winger at 3.1 million for three years may help but does not make this team much better. The lose of Krug's production will hurt. Not addresses the LD will be an issue. Donny seems to look into things: OEL, Hanifin, Pietrangelo, Hall, Hoffman, Toffilo, Anderson, Dadonov, etc but could not pull the trigger.
You listed eight players that we were supposedly "in on" yet that clown couldn't pull the trigger on any of them?? This kind of complete and total incompetence should have ended a long time ago yet it continues. Simply mind-boggling at this point. :help:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Yes, really.

Is there something I don't know about Tampa's fan base?

I know nothing about them other than my preference is to watch big market teams in the finals...For me it makes for more interesting hockey. I'm guessing the Tampa fanbase is small and at this stage inconsequential to build rivalry.

With me there is no hate or love for Tampa. To me they're just a roadblock to more entertaining hockey. I do have respect for a well constructed team but that's about it. Unless they're playing the bruins I simply don't follow them.

Leafs Habitants or Oilers in the finals....I watch

Reactions: Over the volcano

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If Marchand is ready and Pastrnak isn't, I'm expecting this top 9 to start out:

Marchand - Bergeron - Bjork
DeBrusk - Krejci - Kase
Ritchie - Coyle - Smith

I think there are better line combinations, but Cassidy has been pretty adamant keeping Pastrnak (when he returns) with Marchand and Bergeron and tying DeBrusk to Krejci's hip. I think the good thing here is that Bjork, Ritchie, and Kase will be competing for 2/3 roster spots in the top 9 once Pastrnak is back.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

Forwards
Blidth

D-Men
Zboril

Hoping for....
Senyshyn
Zboril
Hughes
Frederick
Blidh has no offensive up side, has 2 pts in 28 NHL games. I like his hustle, can skate okay and finishes his checks. We already have players that can fill this role ( Wagner / Lindholm / McKegg). He is an AHL'r until he can prove he can score.
Zboril - I want to see what he can do this year at the NHL level. You would have to pair him with Carlo or Mac and shelter his minutes.
Lauko and Steen are the two wildcards for me. Lauko had a great camp last year for us and I like the way Steen plays. I would expect these two players to show well at the beginning of camp since they were playing quite a few minutes over in Europe.

Reactions: bbfan419

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I know nothing about them other than my preference is to watch big market teams in the finals...For me it makes for more interesting hockey. I'm guessing the Tampa fanbase is small and at this stage inconsequential to build rivalry.

With me there is no hate or love for Tampa. To me they're just a roadblock to more entertaining hockey. I do have respect for a well constructed team but that's about it. Unless they're playing the bruins I simply don't follow them.

Leafs Habitants or Oilers in the finals....I watch

I don't get what a fan base has to do with entertaining hockey.

And you realize that of the Leafs, Habs and Oilers, only the Oilers (once) have been to the finals in this century, right?

Reactions: Lo97

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Blidh has no offensive up side, has 2 pts in 28 NHL games. I like his hustle, can skate okay and finishes his checks. We already have players that can fill this role ( Wagner / Lindholm / McKegg). He is an AHL'r until he can prove he can score.
Zboril - I want to see what he can do this year at the NHL level. You would have to pair him with Carlo or Mac and shelter his minutes.
Lauko and Steen are the two wildcards for me. Lauko had a great camp last year for us and I like the way Steen plays. I would expect these two players to show well at the beginning of camp since they were playing quite a few minutes over in Europe.

I hear you regarding Blidth but I think he makes the team 4th line exposing someone for trade. Lauko/Steen I don't see landing in North America until fall 2021.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Forwards
Blidth

D-Men
Zboril

Hoping for....
Senyshyn
Zboril
Hughes
Frederick
I’d love to see Blidh take the next step.

If we’re talking surprises, I’ll go with Senyshyn up front. Think he has the speed size, and board work to be a good complimentary wing right now but the roster numbers are stacked against him. On the blue line I’m with you on Zboril. I don’t think he needs shelter, just a regular shift and some confidence to go along with it. Bring it class of 15!

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I’d love to see Blidh take the next step.

If we’re talking surprises, I’ll go with Senyshyn up front. Think he has the speed size, and board work to be a good complimentary wing right now but the roster numbers are stacked against him. On the blue line I’m with you on Zboril. Bring it class of 15!

I'm hoping for Zach as well....he might be NHL better over AHL. He really didn't look out of place his call ups.

Reactions: bbfan419

Root

Feb 22, 2010

Forwards
Blidth

D-Men
Zboril

Hoping for....
Senyshyn
Zboril
Hughes
Frederick

I'm a bit confused by this post...Studnicka is an obvious choice but the Bruins are keeping him in Providence? You think Blidh is going to be the guy that surprises and makes the team? You realize the Bruins didn't even bring him to Toronto for the return to play?

Why is is that we finally have a forward prospect with top-6 potential (Studnicka) that has produced in the AHL and earned an opportunity and people want to slide in other prospects that haven't earned it (Senyshyn). Why are people so hellbent on Senyshyn and Zboril getting at least 40 game (LOL) tryouts in the NHL? Studnicka and Lauzon were better AHL players than both and they will be better NHL players than both and will be part of the future.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
More fluff? Dave Pagnotta of the Fourth Period is writing that the Bs are in on Ben Hutton to provide experience to the left side D. Player agent plant or Sweeney leak showing he’s still working the phones?

Reactions: Blowfish

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
More fluff? Dave Pagnotta of the Fourth Period is writing that the Bs are in on Ben Hutton to provide experience to the left side D. Player agent plant or Sweeney leak showing he’s still working the phones?

Maybe logical conclusion based on current needs?

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I'm a bit confused by this post...Studnicka is an obvious choice but the Bruins are keeping him in Providence? You think Blidh is going to be the guy that surprises and makes the team? You realize the Bruins didn't even bring him to Toronto for the return to play?

Why is is that we finally have a forward prospect with top-6 potential (Studnicka) that has produced in the AHL and earned an opportunity and people want to slide in other prospects that haven't earned it (Senyshyn). Why are people so hellbent on Senyshyn and Zboril getting at least 40 game (LOL) tryouts in the NHL? Studnicka and Lauzon were better AHL players than both and they will be better NHL players than both and will be part of the future.

No need to rush his career at this time, allow for growth, development at the same time consider ELC impact. I'm not an expert and probably completely wrong but I'm guessing the bruins will monitor impact of ELC.

An entry-level contract (ELC) is the rookie contract that all players younger than 25 years old sign. ... If a player is 22 or 23, their ELC is for two years, and a 24-year-old's will be for one season. Players are also typically waiver-exempt for their first 160 NHL games so they can be sent down and called up at will.

Last edited:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
not sure why you are so down on Zboril. I thought Lauzon has looked good and can become a #3 or 4 Dman if he continues to develop. I have only seen Zboril live once but would like him to at least get a 40 game tryout
I like Lauzon. I have seen quite a bit of Zboril and he is extremely inconsistent. My problem is a so called contending team should not have a defense that has Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Zboril, Clifton or Moore anywhere near their top 4. Break in Zboril on the third pair and see what he has, same with Vaakananien. They should be paired with Grzelcyk. The only top 4 D they have are Carlo and McAvoy.

The "play the kids" mentality is fine if the were rebuilding or tight against the cap, they can create cap space by sending Moore and Bjork to the taxi squad. Bjork has value and I would look to trade him Moore would easily clear waivers in my opinion.

Sweeney is throwing away another season when he should have made moves to improve his top 6 and top 4 D. He instead added a nice piece in Smith and nothing else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad