Myles Powell -> Florida ECHL
Dustin Tokarski -> Rochester AHL

Apologies for any redundnacies.

Reactions: JMCx4

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Two Utica Comets signings
There are two players signed to AHL contracts with Utica, Johnson said. One is physical forward Vincent Arseneau, who had hip surgery last February. The 28-year-old Arseneau, who has been known to fight, has played in 91 games over three seasons with Utica. He has 23 points and 188 penalty minutes.
Also back is 24-year-old John Stevens, who was a steady presence last season at center after being obtained in a trade with Bridgeport. He had three goals and nine points in 24 games with Utica.

Utica Comets GM Johnson: Development the focus in shortened AHL season

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Hello!

After a long break, I finally had/took the time to update this thread's OPs. With the uncertainty surrounding the upcoming AHL season it was tough to stay motivated but with this week's announcement we can now move forward.

I also want to thank @Adam Michaels , @caley , @LadyStanley and @Tao Jones (among others) for keeping this thread active during the past few months.

Furthermore, please feel free to correct any mistakes that I might have made in the thread's OPs (20-21 contracts + UFA list).

The Jersey Number

number nerd
Jul 15, 2010
Halifax
Welcome back, Booba! I was wondering if we should maybe have an addition to the bottom of the OP, a-la the previous years' threads, keeping track of releases/reassignments, on account I have quite a few questions lol

First off, I am pretty confused regarding the contract statuses surrounding Vincent Desharnais, Joel Messner, and Pascal Aquin.
  • Desharnais: was due to enter the second year of a 2-year contract with Bakersfield, but was signed to an SPC by Wichita (ECHL) on December 29th, which struck me as odd since Bakersfield is directly affiliated with Wichita, and I figured he could/would have just been assigned there.
  • Messner, Aquin: similarly, both Messner (Providence) and Aquin (Laval) were subsequently signed to SPCs by Jacksonville (ECHL) on January 6th. Now, both Providence and Laval were left without ECHL affiliates for the 2020-21 season (Providence's actual ECHL affiliate in Atlanta opted out of the season previously, and Laval was without one to begin with), however, Boston (Ahcan, Filipe, Booth, Keyser) and Providence (Peski) had already been assigning players to Jacksonville, so it once again struck me as odd that they wouldn't have just assigned these players to the ECHL -- Montreal/Laval have yet to assign anyone to the ECHL, however, they'll likely have to find an ECHL partner as both rosters are pretty full.
  • In closing, the only case I can locate of an AHL-contracted player actually being released from their SPC to seek work elsewhere in North America is Isaac Johnson of Manitoba, who was subsequently signed to an SPC by Huntsville (SPHL) on December 14th.
Lastly, same-but-different confusion regarding the contract statuses surrounding Janis Jaks, and Jesper Olofsson.
It goes without saying that things would be a helluva lot easier if the AHL would just open up their 2020-21 season transactions page lol

Reactions: Booba

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Welcome back, Booba! I was wondering if we should maybe have an addition to the bottom of the OP, a-la the previous years' threads, keeping track of releases/reassignments, on account I have quite a few questions lol

First off, I am pretty confused regarding the contract statuses surrounding Vincent Desharnais, Joel Messner, and Pascal Aquin.
  • Desharnais: was due to enter the second year of a 2-year contract with Bakersfield, but was signed to an SPC by Wichita (ECHL) on December 29th, which struck me as odd since Bakersfield is directly affiliated with Wichita, and I figured he could/would have just been assigned there.
  • Messner, Aquin: similarly, both Messner (Providence) and Aquin (Laval) were subsequently signed to SPCs by Jacksonville (ECHL) on January 6th. Now, both Providence and Laval were left without ECHL affiliates for the 2020-21 season (Providence's actual ECHL affiliate in Atlanta opted out of the season previously, and Laval was without one to begin with), however, Boston (Ahcan, Filipe, Booth, Keyser) and Providence (Peski) had already been assigning players to Jacksonville, so it once again struck me as odd that they wouldn't have just assigned these players to the ECHL -- Montreal/Laval have yet to assign anyone to the ECHL, however, they'll likely have to find an ECHL partner as both rosters are pretty full.
  • In closing, the only case I can locate of an AHL-contracted player actually being released from their SPC to seek work elsewhere in North America is Isaac Johnson of Manitoba, who was subsequently signed to an SPC by Huntsville (SPHL) on December 14th.
Lastly, same-but-different confusion regarding the contract statuses surrounding Janis Jaks, and Jesper Olofsson.
It goes without saying that things would be a helluva lot easier if the AHL would just open up their 2020-21 season transactions page lol

I was also wondering what to do with all of this.

The Laval Rocket actually did an update on Aquin and Brent Gates' (who is now playing for the Tulsa Oilers) contractual situations. The announcement was made on a private Twitter account...

terminés.png

I recall some of Montreal/Laval's prospects having a rough ride last season due to the lack of ECHL affiliate (see Michael McNiven for example) so maybe it was easier to just let Aquin and Gates go once they found new homes at the ECHL level. I'm not quite sure that's the real reason though...

Also, as you pointed Messner and Desharnais' situations don't make much sense. If they were already destined for the ECHL, why didn't the parent club just assigned them there? Weird.

I guess the easiest solution is to make a list of contract terminations for the aforementioned four players along with Isaac Johnson.

As for the European loans, I guess that there is still a possibility that these players could come back to their AHL teams once their seasons end in Europe. Not sure if it'll actually happen with the traveling restrictions though. Unless we get more details, I'll consider them as being "on loan" for the moment.

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012

The Laval Rocket actually did an update on Aquin and Brent Gates' (who is now playing for the Tulsa Oilers) contractual situations. The announcement was made on a private Twitter account...

View attachment 383112
I recall some of Montreal/Laval's prospects having a rough ride last season due to the lack of ECHL affiliate (see Michael McNiven for example) so maybe it was easier to just let Aquin and Gates go once they found new homes at the ECHL level. I'm not quite sure that's the real reason though...

Also, as you pointed Messner and Desharnais' situations don't make much sense. If they were already destined for the ECHL, why didn't the parent club just assigned them there? Weird.

I guess the easiest solution is to make a list of contract terminations for the aforementioned four players along with Isaac Johnson.

As for the European loans, I guess that there is still a possibility that these players could come back to their AHL teams once their seasons end in Europe. Not sure if it'll actually happen with the traveling restrictions though. Unless we get more details, I'll consider them as being "on loan" for the moment.
If they wait to get assigned there, AHL club pays the salary. If they get released or permission to sign directly, ECHL club pays......that may be a factor

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Also, as pointed out by Caley's recent post, there is still a whole lot of announced signings.

For instance, I found some post-worthy infos :

Regarding Jermaine Loewen :
Loewen, who was picked by the Dallas Stars in Round 7 of the 2018 NHL Draft, is expecting to play this season for the Henderson Silver Knights, the AHL affiliate of the NHL’s Vegas Golden Knights.

His pro contract is set to expire following the 2020-2021 season. The AHL has been postponed until Feb. 5 because of the pandemic.
Loewen played for Chicago (Vegas' former AHL affiliate) last season.

Regarding Yanick Turcotte :
La conjoncture nuit aussi à Yanick Turcotte. Après avoir passé les trois dernières années dans l'ECHL, l'ailier gauche visait cette saison un poste avec les Soundtigers de Bridgeport, dans l'AHL. J'étais confiant de pouvoir faire l'équipe cette saison. Mais les places seront contingentées.

Si Turcotte ne devient pas membre de la formation, Bridgeport n'aura plus l'option de le transférer à son club affilié de l'ECHL, Worcester, l'une des formations ayant suspendu ses opérations. En ce moment, on nage dans l'incertitude. On ne sait pas où les joueurs retranchés vont se retrouver.
As mentionned above in French, it sounds like Turcotte is still part of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers' organisation. However, with the Worcester Railers (Bridgeport's ECHL affiliate) suspending their operations for this season, the ECHL veteran of three seasons wonders where he'll play if he doesn't make the AHL out of camp.

Reactions: The Jersey Number

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

View attachment 383112

Gates and Aquin would have been sent to the ECHL no matter what. Because both the NHL and AHL teams in Montreal/Laval are really deep. So I think they let both of them go since they had an opportunity to sign somewhere and play right away rather than sit and wait until the AHL camps start.

The fact the Habs don't have an ECHL affiliate does complicate things. And the McNiven situation last year was not a good one.

However, this will be solved when Trois-Rivières gets started next year.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad