Post-Game Talk: 2019 World Junior Hockey

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I dont think its ACL based on the video fortunately for him. Really hoping he is ok to play was really looking forward to Formenton having a big role on the team. I love the WJC would be a big blow to the Gold medal chances to lose him.
The knee is struck from the side and pushes inward in a valgus collapse type movement. That's usually ACL.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The knee is struck from the side and pushes inward in a valgus collapse type movement. That's usually ACL.
Jesus,its sounds worse when you describe it ouch....Hopefully it doesnt take away from his greatest asset

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Alex Formenton suffered an injury in yesterday’s exhibition game at the World Junior selection camp, and today was seen by TSN’s Bob McKenzie on crutches and wearing a knee brace.

f***!!!

The team told McKenzie that it was just precautionary, but Formenton’s inclusion on the tournament roster is obviously in jeopardy. The Ottawa Senators prospect was expected to play a huge role and use his speed and experience to give Canada an edge against an excellent international field, but will have to show he’s healthy enough to compete before the team sends home his potential replacements.

Snapshots: Blues, Formenton, Predators

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

See in my view, his knee his struck from the side usually indicating an MCL or LCL injury. Usually an ACL injury occurs when the femur is pushed backward at the knee

But if you are correct in how you see the video of a valgus collapse then yes an ACL could be involved.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The fact though that the brace and crutches were deemed "precautionary" is definitely a good sign because the doctors can conduct an ACL structural damage test on his knee post game and have a good idea if there is injury or not. Of cpurse MRI is the only definitive way to diagnose though .

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No way he goes off the ice like that if its ACL you are toast if that happens.

When I was young and stupid, I actually tried going back into a football game with what ended up being a torn ACL. I didn't last very long trying to play on one leg, of course, but the fact that I tried shows you that youth and adrenaline are a potent combo. I definitely fear a torn ACL here, and the fact that they haven't expressly ruled it out a day later makes me think that's exactly what it is. I would absolutely love to be wrong...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
A trip to a decent homeopath and he'll be good to go by Monday.

"I'll need you to take this 30c diluted solution of a man's Torn ACL twice a day, and wear a copper bracelet around your ankle to center your body's natural healing auras"

"do I do that before or after the Reiki treatments?"

"Before. And make sure not to take any actual medicine, Alex! It will "interfere" with your naturopathic healing energy!"

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
"I'll need you to take this 30c diluted solution of a man's Torn ACL twice a day, and wear a copper bracelet around your ankle to center your body's natural healing auras"

"do I do that before or after the Reiki treatments?"

"Before. And make sure not to take any actual medicine, Alex! It will "interfere" with your naturopathic healing energy!"

You forget the half a cup of the blood of a goat, preferable one with yellow hair beneath it's left torso.

Reactions: Back in Black

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
When I was young and stupid, I actually tried going back into a football game with what ended up being a torn ACL. I didn't last very long trying to play on one leg, of course, but the fact that I tried shows you that youth and adrenaline are a potent combo. I definitely fear a torn ACL here, and the fact that they haven't expressly ruled it out a day later makes me think that's exactly what it is. I would absolutely love to be wrong...

I went back out on the ice after sitting on the bench for 10 minutes for a pp opportunity. beer league stupid. torn acl/mcl. Still wear a brace to play sports.

Reactions: Larionov

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I went back out on the ice after sitting on the bench for 10 minutes for a pp opportunity. beer league stupid. torn acl/mcl. Still wear a brace to play sports.

My hatred of the brace eventually overcame my fear of re-tearing the ACL, so I ditched it for hockey. ;-) I have torn both ACLs, so I have gone down the surgery road twice. I wouldn't wish that rehab process on anyone. Now, Formenton is 19, so if in fact he needs surgery he will make a full recovery. It just sucks not to see him lighting it up in the World Juniors.

Hopefully this puts an end to the old, "Send the kid back to junior because he will get hurt in the NHL" argument. As we just saw, injuries are random and can happen anywhere....

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
My hatred of the brace eventually overcame my fear of re-tearing the ACL, so I ditched it for hockey. ;-) I have torn both ACLs, so I have gone down the surgery road twice. I wouldn't wish that rehab process on anyone. Now, Formenton is 19, so if in fact he needs surgery he will make a full recovery. It just sucks not to see him lighting it up in the World Juniors.

Hopefully this puts an end to the old, "Send the kid back to junior because he will get hurt in the NHL" argument. As we just saw, injuries are random and can happen anywhere....

I don't mind my brace. .it's custom made and fits well. I did forget it at home recently and used one of those neoprene braces one of the boys had and it felt way better though

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Really hoping jbd gets through. This kid is going to be a star, I'm sure of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad