Transfer: 2019 Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Arsenal stole Torreira from them and they ended up selling Jorginho to a EL London club. I think if Arsenal pushed, they'll be able to get him.

So because Arsenal activated Torreira's release clause before Napoli even had a manager in place, that means Zielinski is a viable option for Arsenal? You do realize they took that exact same cash and just went and activated Fabian Ruiz's clause , right?

I don't think it was some grand heist. I know you think Torreira is generational DM (for some reason) , but fans of Napoli didn't feel like Torreira had been "stolen" from them. This is a false narrative. If you want "stolen" think about the Malcom situation this summer. (eff that dude , btw)

Also, Jorginho was going to City before Sarri went to Chelsea and convinced him to change his mind. So unless Arsenal magically hires Sarri , I'm not sure how that example is relevant in any way. Both clubs being in London doesn't mean a thing.

I don't think you realize how hard it is to buy from De Laurentiis. Zielinski isn't worth the money it would take.

He's replaced Hamsik in the starting XI. He's not for sale barring a MASSIVE overpay.

Carlo has been using a 4-4-2 since the Sampdoria spanking , and Zielinski has been playing on the wide left.

And yeah, agreed. Arsenal won't be going to Napoli for players , I can almost guarantee it - at least not for major contributors. ADL is ridiculously hard to buy from , and he's got zero FFP concerns.

I'm pretty sure Mislintat is looking for relative bargains , or good value --- you won't find that in Naples.

Reactions: Gecklund

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Holy ****, please yes to Zielinski and it has nothing to do with any Polish bias - he's on the verge of breaking out and being known as a top and upcoming player around Europe.

Ramsey is a better player than Can, but it's hard to argue an apple to an orange. Emre is entirely a defencive player first and foremost and someone who is better on that side of the pitch. Ramsey has to be one of the most overrated two-way players in the league the last couple of years. That doesn't mean he sucks, but against good opposition it turns out to be a weakness of his game.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018

I have no idea if there's any truth to this rumour , but it's only a matter of time until this guy leaves , imo. He's been turning down contract extensions with Inter for a few months now.

People often say SMS or Dybala are the brightest young talents in Serie A , but to me, it's this guy.

If United is a club that's serious about closing the gap, this is the kind of guy you spend heavy on.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Can is actually terrible defensively.
Your "they're off Liverpool now so they suck" schtick is getting tiresome. Coutinho is one of the best technical players in the world and has shown that at Barca. Can was never "actually terrible defensively" and had more to do with him being inconsistent, which I admit he suffers from (still a quality player though who's an engine in the backline).

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Your "they're off Liverpool now so they suck" schtick is getting tiresome. Coutinho is one of the best technical players in the world and has shown that at Barca. Can was never "actually terrible defensively" and had more to do with him being inconsistent, which I admit he suffers from (still a quality player though who's an engine in the backline).
This has already been debunked a bunch of times and I don't in particular enjoy addressing it again, but I like plenty of players that left Liverpool. All of my criticisms of players are the same as they were before or after they joined/left Liverpool. Also everything I said about Coutinho leaving Liverpool and van Dijk coming in while everyone argued profusely against it came true. You can think what you want, but Can 'actually was terrible defensively' and that showed any time he was put in a position where he had to think. Put him in a structured system with a very specific role where he doesn't have to think and I'm sure he'll be an okay player.

Actually, better, can you provide a single example of a player that I changed my opinion on because they left Liverpool?

Last edited:
Reactions: All Might

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This has already been debunked a bunch of times and I don't in particular enjoy addressing it again, but I like plenty of players that left Liverpool. All of my criticisms of players are the same as they were before or after they joined/left Liverpool. Also everything I said about Coutinho leaving Liverpool and van Dijk coming in while everyone argued profusely against it came true. You can think what you want, but Can 'actually was terrible defensively' and that showed any time he was put in a position where he had to think. Put him in a structured system with a very specific role where he doesn't have to think and I'm sure he'll be an okay player.

Actually, better, can you provide a single example of a player that I changed my opinion on because they left Liverpool?
Coutinho? And your constant defence for Lovren because he's in a Red kit is also pretty hilarious. Lovren is like a worst-off version of Mustafi and you know what I and Gooners think of the Albanian-Germ.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Coutinho? And your constant defence for Lovren because he's in a Red kit is also pretty hilarious. Lovren is like a worst-off version of Mustafi and you know what I and Gooners think of the Albanian-Germ.
I defended Lovren because he was scapegoated. I don't think he's a world beater, but he's better than people gave him credit for and he's been great since Klopp took over (he's nowhere near Mustafi). My opinion never changed on Coutinho; I also said he'd thrive at Barcelona.

...and even if I did on Coutinho, which I didn't, since when does one example make it a schtick when I still like plenty of ex-Liverpool players (and don't rate some current Liverpool players as highly as others)?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
So because Arsenal activated Torreira's release clause before Napoli even had a manager in place, that means Zielinski is a viable option for Arsenal? You do realize they took that exact same cash and just went and activated Fabian Ruiz's clause , right?

I don't think it was some grand heist. I know you think Torreira is generational DM (for some reason) , but fans of Napoli didn't feel like Torreira had been "stolen" from them. This is a false narrative. If you want "stolen" think about the Malcom situation this summer. (eff that dude , btw)

Also, Jorginho was going to City before Sarri went to Chelsea and convinced him to change his mind. So unless Arsenal magically hires Sarri , I'm not sure how that example is relevant in any way. Both clubs being in London doesn't mean a thing.

I don't think you realize how hard it is to buy from De Laurentiis. Zielinski isn't worth the money it would take.
Napoli were unwilling to meet Torreira's release clause after courting him for months. His agent confirmed that they were in discussions since January, but Arsenal swooped in and triggered his release clause. They also wanted Leno, but he chose Arsenal - leaving them to take the flawed Ospina on loan.

I don't think Torreira is generational, but I think he is one of the better players in his position with the talent/determination to become one of the best in his role. For his current level of play, he is already well worth the transfer fee and he's only 22.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Napoli were unwilling to meet Torreira's release clause after courting him for months. His agent confirmed that they were in discussions since January, but Arsenal swooped in and triggered his release clause. They also wanted Leno, but he chose Arsenal - leaving them to take the flawed Ospina on loan.

I don't think Torreira is generational, but I think he is one of the better players in his position with the talent/determination to become one of the best in his role. For his current level of play, he is already well worth the transfer fee and he's only 22.

They courted him for months , but once the Sarri and Jorginho situation became muddy -- they essentially stopped. Arsenal took advantage and snagged him -- fair play to them , he's going to be a good (and already is). But they didn't steal him. Like I said , Napoli just promptly went ahead and got Fabian Ruiz, who looks like a good one as well.

Read the agents comments a few weeks ago : Arsenal news: Lucas Torreira's agent says 'it's a pity' he didn't join Napoli | Metro News

As for Leno, Napoli signed Alex Meret (a great young talent) and he broke his arm. This led to them getting Ospina , not because they missed out on Leno. I don't know how you're creating these theories.

I'm not saying Arsenal isn't an attractive club for players-- of course it is. But these examples/narratives aren't reasons towards Zielinski being likely to go to Arsenal. They just aren't.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

I have no idea if there's any truth to this rumour , but it's only a matter of time until this guy leaves , imo. He's been turning down contract extensions with Inter for a few months now.

People often say SMS or Dybala are the brightest young talents in Serie A , but to me, it's this guy.

If United is a club that's serious about closing the gap, this is the kind of guy you spend heavy on.

100%. It's a perfect fit. Why go to Barcelona where you'll be second fiddle to Umtiti and still have Pique getting lots of first team football? They have Lengalet too now.

Skrinar would be United's first team CB for the next 10 years. Not even inquiring about him would be a fireable offense for the entire coaching staff and executive board.

I'm sick and tired of United being asleep behind the wheel on players that are about to break out. Skrinar would be a great example. Not even inquiring about Ousmane Dembele, Malcolm (both RW's that would definitely fit a need), Laporte (who went to cross town rivals in City), Davinson Sanchez (went to Spurs, another domestic threat), Yerry Mina (went to Everton, whatever) was maddening.

But no, let's go for Perisic and Manduzic when they weren't even needs. f*** you Mourinho. Glad the board stepped in there and put the kabash on that shit. They're not entirely blameless either, not going for the aforementioned young talent to supplement the squad in areas of need either.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

I definitely agree with this.
An absolute monster, big, fast, strong, good instincts, composed, good on the ball... And so young.
He's already one of the best, just plays for Inter so people don't know it.
Once he moves to a super club, the recognition will come.

For me, he's like VVD, just 4 years younger, and will only get better with time.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
100%. It's a perfect fit. Why go to Barcelona where you'll be second fiddle to Umtiti and still have Pique getting lots of first team football? They have Lengalet too now.

Skrinar would be United's first team CB for the next 10 years. Not even inquiring about him would be a fireable offense for the entire coaching staff and executive board.

I'm sick and tired of United being asleep behind the wheel on players that are about to break out. Skrinar would be a great example. Not even inquiring about Ousmane Dembele, Malcolm (both RW's that would definitely fit a need), Laporte (who went to cross town rivals in City), Davinson Sanchez (went to Spurs, another domestic threat), Yerry Mina (went to Everton, whatever) was maddening.

But no, let's go for Perisic and Manduzic when they weren't even needs. **** you Mourinho. Glad the board stepped in there and put the kabash on that ****. They're not entirely blameless either, not going for the aforementioned young talent to supplement the squad in areas of need either.

It doesn't really work like that though, United thinking of a player and then signing him.

I mean... They apparently tried for Varane, and we don't know whether they asked about Skriniar too. If they did, I imagine the doors were shut as Inter are trying to become relevant again and were buyers this offseason, rather than sellers.
And it's not like Perisic or Mandzukic exactly came, did they (both of whom, btw, would upgrade the current Man Utd team).

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
It doesn't really work like that though, United thinking of a player and then signing him.

I mean... They apparently tried for Varane, and we don't know whether they asked about Skriniar too. If they did, I imagine the doors were shut as Inter are trying to become relevant again and were buyers this offseason, rather than sellers.
And it's not like Perisic or Mandzukic exactly came, did they (both of whom, btw, would upgrade the current Man Utd team).
I maybe agree with Perisic, but then where do Rashford and Martial play? Who moves to RW? Perisis is an out and out LW, no?

Mandzukic would barely get any time unless United went to a 2 striker formation. Regardless, both players are on the wrong side of their careers and wouldn't be good long term investments. My gripe is that United hasn't been ahead on the curve on any of their transfers since SAF left. Let's take a look:

2012:

van Persie: Good soldier, but was old when he came to the team
Kagawa: Decent, but was sold not long after

2013:

Mata: Good soldier, good for a couple of years, decent for a couple, now on the downturn
Fellaini: Squad player that's overused. Can win aerial battles but sucks at everything else

2014:

di Maria: huge flop
Shaw: Great potential signing that hasn't fulfilled his potential, injuries slowed his progression
Herrera: Good signing, but far from a difference maker
Rojo: Meh
Blind: Meh
Falcao: Loan, but a huge flop

2015:

Martial: Great first year, misused by Mourinho since, rumors that he wants to leave
Schneiderlin: Bust
Depay: Huge bust
Darmian: Squad player
Schweinsteiger: Was cooked by the time he got here

2016:

Pogba: Good player but hasn't met expectations. Being run out of town by Mourinho
Mkhitaryan: Good player, but was oft injured and misused when healthy
Bailly: Oft injured, good form last season, poor form this year, jury is still out
Zlatan: Actually worked out, but it's Zlatan

2017:

Lukaku: Good domestically, but hasn't shown much in Europe and against better PL teams, jury is still out
Matic: Personally don't like him, but works for Mourinho ball. Getting old.
Lindelof: Hasn't progressed since he was signed.
Sanchez: Looks run down, old

2018:

Fred: Jury still out
Dalot: Has potential
Grant: Terrible

Save for Lukaku, Pogba, Martial, Mata, Shaw, and Zlatan, not exactly an inspiring track record. Just once I want them to be ahead the curve on signing a young superstar that can be a team staple. Pogba and Martial are the closest to that but are being run out of town.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton

Been saying it since he was with Sampdoria, this guy is going to be the best CB in the world one day. He's already world class and he's only getting better.

I still think SMS is the best young talent in the league though. The guy is a gamebreaker everywhere on the field and 14 goals from the midfield for a 23 year old is absolutely insane. His season at Lazio last year was far more impressive than Pogba's 22/23 year old season at Juve.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I maybe agree with Perisic, but then where do Rashford and Martial play? Who moves to RW? Perisis is an out and out LW, no?

Mandzukic would barely get any time unless United went to a 2 striker formation. Regardless, both players are on the wrong side of their careers and wouldn't be good long term investments. My gripe is that United hasn't been ahead on the curve on any of their transfers since SAF left. Let's take a look:

2012:

2013:

Mata: Good soldier, good for a couple of years, decent for a couple, now on the downturn
Fellaini: Squad player that's overused. Can win aerial battles but sucks at everything else

2014:

Shaw: Great potential signing that hasn't fulfilled his potential, injuries slowed his progression

2015:

Martial: Great first year, misused by Mourinho since, rumors that he wants to leave

2016:

Pogba: Good player but hasn't met expectations. Being run out of town by Mourinho
Bailly: Oft injured, good form last season, poor form this year, jury is still out

2017:

Lukaku: Good domestically, but hasn't shown much in Europe and against better PL teams, jury is still out

2018:

Save for Lukaku, Pogba, Martial, Mata, Shaw, and Zlatan, not exactly an inspiring track record. Just once I want them to be ahead the curve on signing a young superstar that can be a team staple. Pogba and Martial are the closest to that but are being run out of town.
But why do some really good players "bust" or "flop"? That's a more interesting question.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
But why do some really good players "bust" or "flop"? That's a more interesting question.

Well Kagawa because he was played out of position.

Di Maria is a mental midget.

Memphis lacks the IQ to be an elite talent.

Schneiderlin is good but overrated.

Falcao coming off a huge injury.

Know what all those signings had in common(except for Kagawa)? Terrible managers. Of course it’s not all the managers fault but it plays a part that’s for sure.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Di Maria established himself at Real and PSG. With more or less consistency. He was consistently bad at United.
Depay has had hot stretches. Except at United.
Schneiderlin is meh.
Falcao indeed came off injury.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Can is actually terrible defensively.

Agreed, but Ramsey would have to actually come back to his own half to play defense to be considered better than Can at it. Which is fine in a certain system, but it's not at Arsenal.

Reactions: Il Mediano

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland

2012:

2013:

2014:

2015:

2016:

2017:

2018:

Should have bought Modric back when Sir Alex desperately wanted him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad