• Oskari Laaksonen, D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matej Pekar, C

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
UPL has yet to play a pro game. Even after playing solid in the AHL, he'd still have to make another jump. Plus, goalies are hard to predict, i've been told.

I'd vote Asplund before UPL.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
UPL has yet to play a pro game. Even after playing solid in the AHL, he'd still have to make another jump. Plus, goalies are hard to predict, i've been told.

He did play 1 game in the AHL last year (recording a W and stopping 32/34 shots against). He played in a lot of different situations last season and sparkled everywhere he went.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
He did play 1 game in the AHL last year (recording a W and stopping 32/34 shots against). He played in a lot of different situations last season and sparkled everywhere he went.
It was an ATO. I wouldn't put too much in one game. He has to prove himself first.
With that being said, i can imagine him being on the Sabres after Christmas, so i'm not against his talent or whatever.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

By that logic, Dahlin shouldn’t have been #1 last summer in our poll. Definitely should have voted C.J. Smith #1.

UPL has an outstanding year in the CHL. THN had him as the highest rated goalie prospect. He’s not a lock (literally almost no one is) but his ceiling is incredible.

Reactions: Dingo44

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I meant to pick Joker but it picked Samuelsson and I can't change my pick?

Please count my vote for Joker

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
By that logic, Dahlin shouldn’t have been #1 last summer in our poll. Definitely should have voted C.J. Smith #1.

UPL has an outstanding year in the CHL. THN had him as the highest rated goalie prospect. He’s not a lock (literally almost no one is) but his ceiling is incredible.
Well, then i'm just not the type who runs after the next shiny toy, like we did with Asplund. Many here had him penciled in as the most likely 3C. Seeing him coming on in the late half of the season gives me hope he can still get there. I'd rather be patient with guys than hyping up a goalie who had a great year, no doubt, but i'd like him to prove it this year before voting him into the top 3.

Dahlin played professionally in Sweden, and has another dimension to his game. UPL is "just" a really talented goalie.

Reactions: jc17

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Well, then i'm just not the type who runs after the next shiny toy, like we did with Asplund. Many here had him penciled in as the most likely 3C. Seeing him coming on in the late half of the season gives me hope he can still get there. I'd rather be patient with guys than hyping up a goalie who had a great year, no doubt, but i'd like him to prove it this year before voting him into the top 3.

Dahlin played professionally in Sweden, and has another dimension to his game. UPL is "just" a really talented goalie.

But...you voted for Jokiharju?

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Tons of recency bias on this board it seems. I would have put UPL #1, a potential stud starting goaltender in the making.

It's not recency bias for me, it's more of a bias against goalie prospects in general. In my mind there's the Carey Price/Carter Hart/Spencer Knight level of prospect, and then there's everyone else.

He's more likely to spend the next 3-4 years playing in the minors like the Comrie's or Demko's of the world (or even slowly toil away like a Jack Campbell) than he is to become a sure fire NHL starter as a kid. So until a goalie makes that jump at an early age I'll always grade them slightly below the forward and defense prospects in that tier.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's played well. But I'd be interested in seeing how his numbers stack up against Enroth and Ullmark before they got to Rochester. Call me jaded, but I feel like every few years we have a stud goalie prospect and they all pan out to be just ok.

Acknowledging yet again that goalies are voodoo:

Ullmark was an overager (19) when selected, wasn't on the most of the youth dev teams (no U17's, no U18's , U19's - 1 game, U20's - 2 non-tournament games) and it was his second season after being selected that he took off with strong save percentage on a ho-hum Modo squad. He then had a kind of pedestrian his third season post draft before coming to North America. He also had double hip surgery after that third season, post-draft, and wound up playing earlier than anticipated. His AHL numbers didn't take an improvement until his third season down there. He's not in the same category as Enroth (three time U20 rep, all the other high-end youth tournaments) .

Reactions: Husko and Fezzy126

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
It shouldnt be since my vote was meant for Joker but we can't change picks anymore apparently incase of mistake. I'm using my phone so when I went to hit submit my fat thumb hit Samuelsson name too.

Next you'll say your fax machine was broke right before the deadline to get the pick in!

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
It shouldnt be since my vote was meant for Joker but we can't change picks anymore apparently incase of mistake. I'm using my phone so when I went to hit submit my fat thumb hit Samuelsson name too.

I usually don't set the change vote box because I worry (probably unreasonably!) about people shifting their votes towards the leader. I could count your vote for Jokiharju but I think it would be so much more fun for...

Ok, so it's tied now and we go into a shootout?

...runoff!! Oui!!

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Seeing as Joki/UPL combined for over 93% of the votes, a runoff might be pretty much the exact same and lead to another tie :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad