2019 Stanley Cup Favourites (as per HFBoards)

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Toronto is the best Toronto number 1 woop woop

Also I'd tend to look at the Vegas odds as there's actually money in play whereas HFboards are mostly salt based

Was that a Lana reference from the WWE? lol

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Can you be HFBlues' mascot? It's been pretty positive over there lately, we could use some demotivation to level things out.
I doubt it, from what Ive seen here many of the Blues fans cant take criticism of their team lol

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Theyve consistently been ranked too high and seen as a team thatll go far or do something yet every year is the same dam result. This year was even worse as they failed to even make the playoffs lol. One more year of that and maybe thatll convince enough people here they shouldnt be these HFBoards darlings that get so highly ranked with NO justification
Well good luck expecting this current Blues team to miss the playoffs.

And if you think they shouldn't have been ranked top 10 in any of the previous years, well, you're wrong. Go take a look at the winningest regular season teams over the past several years... the Blues are up there.

And before you say "but I'm talking about the playoffs" - yeah, I know. But each year, the higher seeds that enter the playoffs typically have a better chance to win the Cup than the lower seeds. So the ranking of the Blues here has been accurate. It's not like people are putting them 1st. They're not even top 5. I don't think anybody overrates them at all. Everyone knows they still need to prove it. But they're not the only team that has that label (the most recent Cup winners were in the exact same spot a year ago...so just because a team doesn't have a history of winning doesn't really affect the upcoming season).

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
No Pressure
jets-stanley-cup.jpg

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
The reason why Toronto is not higher is because there are still unknowns and no history to back it up. Are the Leafs better now than last season...on paper, yes...still have to see how the chemistry works out. The other part is playoff success...The Jets have shown success in the playoffs, Leafs haven't..at least not yet. No one is saying the team is crap or shit...we're all saying we haven't seen enough to tell us, Toronto can or will be able to go the distance.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Winnipeg will be last year's Edmonton. I don't even think they make the playoffs.

Edmonton and Chicago have an outside chance at the cup imo (Edm for McDavid, Chi for 3 cups - perfect storm makes them strong cup contenders, above quite a few others imo). I wouldn't have them top 5 or anything, but i would list them between 10-15 max imo. Below is too low.

I personally also expect Boston to falter quite a bit, possible bubble/wildcard team.

I'd be SHOCKED if Washington wins again. SHOCKED. It's not that they're not still a great team that should be able to contend - it's just that after all the playoff underperformances, and after the crazy celebrations/displays of joy after winning - somehow they just don't strike me as only the 2nd team in the past 25 years to win back to back cups.

I expect Pittsburgh to compete HARD this year. I think Crosby and Malkin will be on a mission and will both have absolute monstrous years (Crosby especially - he seemed to have a LOT left in the tank come playoffs last year and his team didn't follow - so i think he lets it all out during the season instead of saving himself as much). I think Tampa of course always looks great, and this could be the year they put it together. Toronto with an outside chance (very curious to see Tavares effect - but i do think the East is too strong for them). In the west - I really like Nashville a lot.

So Pit, Tampa and Nashville are my top 3 right now.

bonus - if Karlsson gets traded - that's the 1 player that can EASILY tip the scales in a team's favor. He's an absolute game changer. Trade him to Dallas, SJ....some other team, and that team becomes a top 3 contender imo.

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
This thread...yikes. Ranking teams doesnt mean anything. In this instance, most of those complaining had their chance to vote Washington, Pittsburgh, Toronto, etc higher than Winnipeg. it didnt happen, other people voted you out. Nashville finishes above all teams last season yet where are they ranked? Certainly should be ranked higher.
Its hockey, anything can happen. Injuries, hot streaks, cold streaks, and once you make the playoffs its 1 game at a time. Look what the ranking of Vegas meant last year. 31st...ended as runner up.

Reactions: I am not exposed

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Winnipeg will be last year's Edmonton. I don't even think they make the playoffs.

Edmonton and Chicago have an outside chance at the cup imo (Edm for McDavid, Chi for 3 cups - perfect storm makes them strong cup contenders, above quite a few others imo). I wouldn't have them top 5 or anything, but i would list them between 10-15 max imo. Below is too low.

I personally also expect Boston to falter quite a bit, possible bubble/wildcard team.

I'd be SHOCKED if Washington wins again. SHOCKED. It's not that they're not still a great team that should be able to contend - it's just that after all the playoff underperformances, and after the crazy celebrations/displays of joy after winning - somehow they just don't strike me as only the 2nd team in the past 25 years to win back to back cups.

I expect Pittsburgh to compete HARD this year. I think Crosby and Malkin will be on a mission and will both have absolute monstrous years (Crosby especially - he seemed to have a LOT left in the tank come playoffs last year and his team didn't follow - so i think he lets it all out during the season instead of saving himself as much). I think Tampa of course always looks great, and this could be the year they put it together. Toronto with an outside chance (very curious to see Tavares effect - but i do think the East is too strong for them). In the west - I really like Nashville a lot.

bonus - if Karlsson gets traded - that's the 1 player that can EASILY tip the scales in a team's favor. He's an absolute game changer. Trade him to Dallas, SJ....some other team, and that team becomes a top 3 contender imo.

Winnipeg is a far more complete team than Edmonton. What is Winnipeg missing that suggests they would miss the playoffs?

It would take a goalie implosion, I guess. One thing I think they need to focus on is to reduce hellebyuck's workload. He played too much last year, and maybe that caught up to him in the 3rd round.

But there is no good reason for this team to miss the playoffs.

Reactions: thejaf7

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Winnipeg's got a couple of important things going for it that Edmonton didn't: depth up front, including multiple high end scorers, and offensive punch from the back end to help said high end forwards.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
They are knocking on the door, but still haven't made it out of the first round...........so.............
That and the fact that defense is horrible. Anderson called the Leafs out to make changes to the defense. They did nothing. Yes they got JT, but how does that help Anderson. I'm guessing he is in a panic room, in field position, screaming for help.

Reactions: dukeofjive

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The reason why Toronto is not higher is because there are still unknowns and no history to back it up. Are the Leafs better now than last season...on paper, yes...still have to see how the chemistry works out. The other part is playoff success...The Jets have shown success in the playoffs, Leafs haven't..at least not yet. No one is saying the team is crap or ****...we're all saying we haven't seen enough to tell us, Toronto can or will be able to go the distance.
So the Jets playoff success of 1 whole year last year means they have shown playoff success? Plenty of teams have had one good year then miss the playoffs the next year. the Jets missed the playoffs the 2 years prior. I predict either Toronto or the Jets miss the playoffs just like the Oilers did last year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
EDM is #19. They finished last year with 78 pts.

MN is #20. They finished last year with 101.

Both teams are returning more or less intact, and haven't had major changes over the summer.

:huh::huh:.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Hey OP i just wanted to say this was a fantastically well run set of polls. Ty for doing them.
Thanks Bob!! I enjoy doing these and love the debates we have tho i dont always agree with the results :)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
EDM is #19. They finished last year with 78 pts.

MN is #20. They finished last year with 101.

Both teams are returning more or less intact, and haven't had major changes over the summer.

:huh::huh:.

I'm sure the Oilers get the benefit of the McDavid factor. It's difficult to bet against a team when they've got the best player in the league (in the regular season at least ;)).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm sure the Oilers get the benefit of the McDavid factor. It's difficult to bet against a team when they've got the best player in the league (in the regular season at least ;)).
So what, he'll score 200 points this year? It's not like he didn't play great last year, yet EDM only got 78 points.

The only thing that EDM has going for them is a lousy division, and the hope that Klefbom rebounds, and Pulju becomes a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad