Red Sox/MLB 2019 Season Begins - Bogaerts Extended 7Y $132M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I am sure Rhode Islanders are thrilled with this promotion

PawSox to "Celebrate Rhode Island" in 2019 by thanking fans for "50 years together"

The Pawtucket Red Sox today unveiled a year-long series of initiatives to thank Rhode Islanders as they begin their 50th year of partnership with the Boston Red Sox and their penultimate year at 78-year-old McCoy Stadium. Pawtucket's minor league team first became a Red Sox affiliate in 1970 (Double-A). In 1973, the club rose to the Triple-A level.

In "Celebrate Rhode Island: 50 Years Together," the PawSox, in conjunction with the defending World Champion Boston Red Sox, will present in 2019 initiatives and charitable projects to the fans who have steadfastly supported a host of Red Sox players for five decades.
Are they 100 percent going to be lame ducks the next two years there are places around Boston to play even fenway during the days the redsox are away.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The measures MLB is taking to avoid sign steal signs seems excessive

https://deadspin.com/mlb-is-going-to-new-lengths-to-stop-camera-aided-sign-s-1832753385

• The only live feed of a broadcast will be the one provided to each team’s designated replay official.

• A specially trained monitor, not a Resident Security Expect, will be assigned to each designated replay official to make sure that person has no communication with team personnel regarding signs, either in person, by phone or any other device.

• All other bullpen and clubhouse television monitors will receive game broadcasts on an eight-second delay.

• No television monitors are permitted in the tunnels or auxiliary rooms between the dugout and the clubhouse.

• Each club must provide to MLB an audit of every in-house camera, detailing its purpose, its wiring and where its signal can be viewed

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Sox are supposed to announce the opening day starter after the game. I'd think it would be Sale in both the season and home openers?
weren't they supposed to break from Fort Myers and shift to Mesa, since they're starting out west and then Seattle has those two neutral Japan games with Oakland

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
weren't they supposed to break from Fort Myers and shift to Mesa, since they're starting out west and then Seattle has those two neutral Japan games with Oakland
Yes but that doesn't mean they cant name the starter for the season opener

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Are they 100 percent going to be lame ducks the next two years there are places around Boston to play even fenway during the days the redsox are away.

Ticket sales are almost nonexistent for 2019 - stadium signage is down 50% - I expect they will move some games to Fenway

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The measures MLB is taking to avoid sign steal signs seems excessive

https://deadspin.com/mlb-is-going-to-new-lengths-to-stop-camera-aided-sign-s-1832753385

• The only live feed of a broadcast will be the one provided to each team’s designated replay official.

• A specially trained monitor, not a Resident Security Expect, will be assigned to each designated replay official to make sure that person has no communication with team personnel regarding signs, either in person, by phone or any other device.

• All other bullpen and clubhouse television monitors will receive game broadcasts on an eight-second delay.

• No television monitors are permitted in the tunnels or auxiliary rooms between the dugout and the clubhouse.

• Each club must provide to MLB an audit of every in-house camera, detailing its purpose, its wiring and where its signal can be viewed
Houston's offense is going to dip accordingly, then.

Reactions: Alicat

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
So has Alex Cora made any announcements about the bullpen yet? I'm assuming Kimbrel's not coming back, so is Matt Barnes the closer? Or are they going to try out other guys until they find the right fit?

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Worcester probably will not honor anything that happened in Pawtucket the same way the pawsox currently do not honor their history as the maple leafs.They will probably leave the pawsox's history to who ever moves to ri next.
Toronto Maple Leafs (International League) - Wikipedia
They would be dumb to ignore the PawSox history, and "dumb" is not a word I would use to describe how that ownership group does business.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

PawSox to "Celebrate Rhode Island" in 2019 by thanking fans for "50 years together"

The Pawtucket Red Sox today unveiled a year-long series of initiatives to thank Rhode Islanders as they begin their 50th year of partnership with the Boston Red Sox and their penultimate year at 78-year-old McCoy Stadium. Pawtucket's minor league team first became a Red Sox affiliate in 1970 (Double-A). In 1973, the club rose to the Triple-A level.

In "Celebrate Rhode Island: 50 Years Together," the PawSox, in conjunction with the defending World Champion Boston Red Sox, will present in 2019 initiatives and charitable projects to the fans who have steadfastly supported a host of Red Sox players for five decades.

Christ, how disconnected from reality is this ownership group?

Do they really think some facetious crap like this is going to fool RI'ers and get them to come groveling at their feet thanking them for allowing the Pawsox to grace Pawtucket?

This makes me think even more they're going to be dumb enough to try sticking a AA or SIngle A team at McCoy and not expect the mother of all backlashes

Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
So has Alex Cora made any announcements about the bullpen yet? I'm assuming Kimbrel's not coming back, so is Matt Barnes the closer? Or are they going to try out other guys until they find the right fit?
I thought I heard that it was between Brazier and Barnes. I'd pick Barnes as he's been consistent all spring and because Brasier has been injured the majority of camp with some nasty toe infection.

I know Sale is the opening day starter but I am curious about the starting rotation. How much of a leash do they give E-Rod.. Right now I've got the rotation as:

Sale
Price
Porcello
Eovaldi
Rodriguez

Also, how do they plan to use Vasquez and Leon and where does Swihart fit in?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I thought I heard that it was between Brazier and Barnes. I'd pick Barnes as he's been consistent all spring and because Brasier has been injured the majority of camp with some nasty toe infection.

I know Sale is the opening day starter but I am curious about the starting rotation. How much of a leash do they give E-Rod.. Right now I've got the rotation as:

Sale
Price
Porcello
Eovaldi
Rodriguez

Also, how do they plan to use Vasquez and Leon and where does Swihart fit in?
I could see Brian Johnson or Hector Velazquez unseating E-Rod at some point. Maybe Wright too if he stopped using the gas and getting suspended. Workman as a dark horse too.

I figure Vazquez and Leon will be similar to last year, Vazquez getting most of the action but Sale and Porcello using Leon more often than not. Swihart I think is just going to be a super-sub and get as much time PHing, DHing, and playing some corner OF than he will catching.

Reactions: Alicat

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
They would be dumb to ignore the PawSox history, and "dumb" is not a word I would use to describe how that ownership group does business.
Fair enough I thought they whould think it was good pr. To leave their history to any team that whould move there next.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Some interesting rule changes got passed

Rosters expand from 25 to 26. The September call-ups are over though for the most part, rosters after September 1st (and apparently through the playoffs if I'm reading right) have been lowered from 40 to 28.

Pitchers have to face three batters before exiting. I'm not a fan of that one because I think it changes the strategy of the game. I wonder if that was prompted by Joe Maddon switching pitchers 5 times an inning or if it was what the Brewers did in starting Wade Miley for one batter in the playoffs to trick Roberts into putting out a right-handed lineup.
I don't like the pitcher rule at all, and I'm not even a big baseball fan. I thought what Miley did was interesting. Strategy is what makes baseball interesting. Of course there will be strategies to combat this new rule, but I just think it's a dumb rule.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017

I always thought there seemed to be twice as many Yankees fans in RI, CT too. :huh:

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Dustin Pedroia is going to start the season on the DL. I really want to see the little guy come back at at least 75% of what he was. Too bad. He had a HOF career going a couple years ago. Thanks, Machado. :mad:

Reactions: BMC

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
How has that Jenrry Mejia looked and is he a potential option to close? I'm so out of the loop with the Sox.
Eh, and no.

Better than I assumed he'd look, but I'd be surprised if he made the team. Definitely not an option to close.

My guess is he's out righted and works his way back onto the roster at some point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad