Red Sox/MLB 2019 Regular Season II - David Ortiz shot in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Erasmo Ramirez is up for Walden

Hopefully he can keep it in the park. He struggles with that.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I get they've dicked him around, but at some point he simply needs to produce. He also totally sucks at game calling, and has since he was drafted.

Obviously would've liked to see them get something for him, but... whatever.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I get they've dicked him around, but at some point he simply needs to produce. He also totally sucks at game calling, and has since he was drafted.

Obviously would've liked to see them get something for him, but... whatever.

There’s a guy who covers the system named Chris Hatfield and he is on the record as saying there have been people coming up that preferred Swihart to Vazquez as far as Game calling goes And pitching to goes.

At the end of the day this has nothing to do with game calling. Their struggles are because they throw cock shots. Sandy Leon could be catching those cock shots and it wouldn’t matter. It’s on the professional pitchers to grow up and be professional

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
"Doesn't matter who you have as catcher. It's all on the pitchers."

Terrible "logic".

At the end of the day these are big boys they have to execute and they aren’t executing. These are guys that have succeeded without Sandy Leon.

Terrible logic would be excusing grown professionals who are getting paid $20 million a year when they are missing spots right down the Dick and then writing it off as missing a catcher that they Have had for a tiny portion of their careers

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
And for the record I was exclusively a pitcher from 14-20 when I had to stop throwing due to injury. I have no problem siding with pitchers and being sympathetic towards them. I’ll side with them over anybody else.

I obviously had catchers I’d prefer to throw to over others. I might even perform slightly better with one over another. But at the end of the day whoever it is back there isn’t responsible if I center cut the plate with a fastball and it gets put on the moon. That’s on me. Not one catcher is calling for that on the planet. I like to think paid professionals are similarly accountable.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I thought he was a pretty damn good hitter as a 23 year old in the majors then he got dicked around and injured. I thought he played very well in his first and really only legitimate opportunity as a catcher.

I can understand the apathy towards him. I thought his bat has been ok this year and last year he was brutal to start the year. But when you’re giving up on a switch hitter with that kind of athleticism and not really giving him a shot over backups like Vazquez and Leon then I don’t really get it. Especially when he acquitted himself well in his only real chance a few years back.

It would be one thing if he was horrible back there...he really isn’t. Framing could use some work but that only gets better with reps. He doesn’t really allow a ton of PB’s. At last check his pop time and transfer time are pretty damn good compared to his counterparts around the league (top 3 last I checked). His arm is a cannon. The Sox named him a minor league defensive player of the year a few years back....he’s not inept. The tools are there. I just hope they made the right decision because there isn’t a ton of upside in the move they made and there is a decent amount of risk

I’m not really a low reward, high-risk kinda guy. They rostered him for a full year without a spot for him because they know he’s talented and wanted to retain him. That didn’t happen for no reason. Today actually makes that look incredibly dumb in hindsight but whatever they won a World Series so it’s tough to criticize the roster management

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
His chances of developing into a major league player died when he ran into the wall and destroyed his knee trying to convert to an OF. Lost the time to develop his bat and any chance of playing another position.

Reactions: BMC

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Need at least a base hit here

Well, that sucked

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
At least we're not the Mets

D4T9aTkWsAAHHsx.jpeg