2019 Post Lottery Mock

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
1. New Jersey Devils: Kaapo Kakko

After seeing them take Hischier over Patrick, I see them taking a flyer on Kakko from Finland over the consensus Hughes.

2. New York Rangers: Jack Hughes

New York has Hughes falling right into their laps at #2.

3. Chicago Black Hawks: Bowen Byram

Chicago gets the best defenseman in the draft and gets the perfect partner for Boqvist for years to come.

4. Colorado Avalanche: Dylan Cozens

Colorado gets the perfect player to play behind Mackinnon. He plays a fast, up tempo game while still maintaining a solid two way game that will translate well to the next level

5. Los Angeles Kings: Trevor Zegras

Kings take a fast, highly skilled center/winger that will fit well with their core and the direction they are going in.

6. Detroit Red Wings: Victor Söderström

Wings take a Swedish RHD that can cement himself as a strong #1 or 2 defenseman if he hits his ceiling.

7. Buffalo Sabres: Alex Turcotte

Sabres Select Turcotte, who will be a terrific #2 center behind Eichel. He plays a strong two way game and will be very reliable to the Sabres for many years to come.

8. Edmonton Oilers: Kirby Dach

Edmonton takes the hometown kid who will be a perfect #2 behind McDavid. They are familiar with the dub as they took Yamamoto a few years back.

9. Anaheim Ducks: Peyton Krebs

Ducks select a high tempo, skilled center and winger in Krebs. He will play very well with Jones and Steel for many years to come.

10. Vancouver Canucks: Alex Newhook

They are familiar with the BCHL, as they are next door to the Nucks. He will be a terrific addition to an already future solid top 6.

11. Philadelphia Flyers: Vasili Podkolzin

Philly takes a Russian, as they have in the past, (Rubstov). The only reason Vasili falls is because of him not coming over until 2 years, which is non issue for the Flyers as they already have a plethora of prospects coming up, so taking a flyer from one and waiting a little bit shouldn’t be a huge issue.

12. Minnesota Wild: Bobby Brink

Minny takes the hometown kid who is putting up impressive numbers in the USHL. He will fit well with their current group of prospects.

13. Florida Panthers: Matthew Boldy

Florida takes the free falling Boldy, Boldy falling will make many teams look dumb down the road looking back in redrafts.

14. Arizona Coyotes: Cole Caulfield

Arizona takes a pure sniper to compliment their centers coming up. Arizona drafter Hayton and he plays for Soo in the OHL, who holds Caufield’s rights. Maybe Cole leaves, and plays with Hayton in his D+1. Arizona will look back at the DeBrincat pick as an indicator that selecting smaller scoring wingers can be rewarding.

15. Montreal Canadiens: Ville Heinola

My favorite pick of the mock. Is a rising Finn like Kotka and Heiskenen in their draft years, although Heinola won’t go third, although he will in redrafts in the upcoming years. He is a terrific LHD Finn that fits perfectly for the habs. I could also see Montreal going with York or Harley at this spot.

Last edited:

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
1. New Jersey Devils: Kaapo Kakko

After seeing them take Hischier over Patrick, I see them taking a flyer on Kakko from Finland over the consensus Hughes.

2. New York Rangers: Jack Hughes

New York has Hughes falling right into their laps at #2.

3. Chicago Black Hawks: Bowen Byram

Chicago gets the best defenseman in the draft and gets the perfect partner for Boqvist for years to come.

4. Colorado Avalanche: Dylan Cozens

Colorado gets the perfect player to play behind Mackinnon. He plays a fast, up tempo game while still maintaining a solid two way game that will translate well to the next level

5. Los Angeles Kings: Trevor Zegras

Kings take a fast, highly skilled center/winger that will fit well with their core and the direction they are going in.

6. Detroit Red Wings: Victor Söderström

Wings take a Swedish RHD that can cement himself as a strong #1 or 2 defenseman if he hits his ceiling.

7. Buffalo Sabres: Alex Turcotte

Sabres Select Turcotte, who will be a terrific #2 center behind Eichel. He plays a strong two way game and will be very reliable to the Sabres for many years to come.

8. Edmonton Oilers: Kirby Dach

Edmonton takes the hometown kid who will be a perfect #2 behind McDavid. They are familiar with the dub as they took Yamamoto a few years back.

9. Anaheim Ducks: Peyton Krebs

Ducks select a high tempo, skilled center and winger in Krebs. He will play very well with Jones and Steel for many years to come.

10. Vancouver Canucks: Alex Newhook

They are familiar with the BCHL, as they are next door to the Nucks. He will be a terrific addition to an already future solid top 6.

11. Philadelphia Flyers: Vasili Podkolzin

Philly takes a Russian, as they have in the past, (Rubstov). The only reason Vasili falls is because of him not coming over until 2 years, which is non issue for the Flyers as they already have a plethora of prospects coming up, so taking a flyer from one and waiting a little bit shouldn’t be a huge issue.

12. Minnesota Wild: Bobby Brink

Minny takes the hometown kid who is putting up impressive numbers in the USHL. He will fit well with their current group of prospects.

13. Florida Panthers: Matthew Boldy

Florida takes the free falling Boldy, Boldy falling will make many teams look dumb down the road looking back in redrafts.

14. Arizona Coyotes: Cole Caulfield

Arizona takes a pure sniper to compliment their centers coming up. Arizona drafter Hayton and he plays for Soo in the OHL, who holds Caufield’s rights. Maybe Cole leaves, and plays with Hayton in his D+1. Arizona will look back at the DeBrincat pick as an indicator that selecting smaller scoring wingers can be rewarding.

15. Montreal Canadiens: Ville Heinola

My favorite pick of the mock. Is a rising Finn like Kotka and Heiskenen in their draft years, although Heinola won’t go third, although he will in redrafts in the upcoming years. He is a terrific LHD Finn that fits perfectly for the habs. I could also see Montreal going with York or Harley at this spot.
I need that same drink where you see devils not picking Hughes. Lol

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I can see the Hawks picking Byram. They have a lot of great right handed defence prospects, they should take a lefty that looks like a future top pairing guy. Up front they are looking pretty solid with DeBrincat/Strome/Kane/Toews.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Patrick was ranked #1 for a lot of the season and pre-season rankings. But the last few months before the draft, Hischier was pretty firmly #1. So it really wasn't a surprise. It was 1 of the closest battles for #1 ever for sure, but Hischer was definitely the higher ranked player by most scouts a few months before that draft.

Can't see Soderstrom going quite that high.

OB5

May 2, 2015
I feel like there is a plethora of D that the Habs can take at 15 and Heinola is a pretty solid pick. Agreed that York or Harley there would be a fit as well...as would Broberg

Reactions: Sam Steel

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Oilers fans will definitely be hoping for Dach at 8.

The Oilers managed to stay in the top 8 where the really good stuff is so if they walked away with Cozens or Dach or Boldy or Byrum or Zegras, then I don’t think you’d hear much complaining, we need any of these guys badly !!

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Patrick was ranked #1 for a lot of the season and pre-season rankings. But the last few months before the draft, Hischier was pretty firmly #1. So it really wasn't a surprise. It was 1 of the closest battles for #1 ever for sure, but Hischer was definitely the higher ranked player by most scouts a few months before that draft.

Can't see Soderstrom going quite that high.
It just seems like a Detroit pick and they could really use Söderström and if they like him, I could see it happening. I mean, we saw Hayton go 5 last year even though he shouldn’t of have in my opinion

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
It just seems like a Detroit pick and they could really use Söderström and if they like him, I could see it happening. I mean, we saw Hayton go 5 last year even though he shouldn’t of have in my opinion

It's true that we have a strong history of drafting Swedes, but we don't usually do this in the first round unless you have an absolute amazing talent that's a no brainer, which I don't think Soderstrom is.

In the past 10 years we have drafted 9 times in the first round, and not a single player of those 1st rounders was Swedish or out of Sweden, that should give you an idea that we're likely not going that route. It will most likely be one of the US National players that will head to college or one of the Canadian junior players. The only player I see them taking out of Europe is Podkolzin, and that's because he's an actual amazing talent and being ranked by many scouts to be the third best player in the draft.

spfan

May 4, 2009

Yeah, there's always surprises. I'm sure there's gonna be at least 1 big one again.
I'm probably higher on Soderstrom than others too. But 6 is pushing it I think.

And I agree, I think Hayton was the wrong choice for ARI. They should have taken Zadina, Dobson or Bouchard in my opinion.

I'm not really sure DET really has a type of pick though. Rasmussen came as a surprise 2 years ago. Then they took the obvious pick in Zadina last year. And they're still new to picking so high in a long time. So I don't really think they have a pattern.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Given how you have the mock playing out, Heinola is a terrific pick for Montreal at 15. Fits exactly what we need on the left side as a smart mobile puck mover.
Nitpicky, but I'd take Broberg in this situation.

elitebottomsix

Feb 19, 2016
Good job. Liked how you didn’t go cookie cutter and the guys that dropped and climbed had some logic to it. I think Soderstrom does end up in the top 10 on draft day

Reactions: Sam Steel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad