Red Sox/MLB 2019 Playoffs V - Lowell Spinners would lose Red Sox connection under radical MLB plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
For the record, Benny ends the season with a 1.7 WAR. A far cry from the 3 I heard he would end up at. OPS+ of 100, again far lower than I was told he'd finish with. After watching him this season, does anyone really still feel like he's a core member of the roster going forward? Honest question, no agenda. Just trying to see what other folks think about him now...

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
For the record, Benny ends the season with a 1.7 WAR. A far cry from the 3 I heard he would end up at. OPS+ of 100, again far lower than I was told he'd finish with. After watching him this season, does anyone really still feel like he's a core member of the roster going forward? Honest question, no agenda. Just trying to see what other folks think about him now...

Definitely a less-than-ideal year for him, but I'd still put him right on the fringe of "core player" IMO. I wouldn't put him in the Mookie/Bogey/Devers core group......probably the next tier down......but I think they HAVE to keep him for at least one more year if the rumblings of JBJ and Mookie being traded and JD opting out happen. I just don't see how they can replace the entire outfield and JD in one offseason all while "going cheap" to stay below the luxury tax.

Reactions: BMC and LSCII

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

He basically died in the last month and a half, might as well have not played. Very bad.

Yes I do still think so considering he is still cheap, young, and Has shown pretty damn good production at the big league level When many people his age are still in the minors

Giving up on him would be like giving up on Bogaerts a few years back imo

He got all the way up to 2.6- 2.7 at one point only to SOIL IT :(

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and LSCII

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Oh God the Yankees are going to bury the twins again aren’t they? Didn’t realize they were matching up. Historically They beat them down

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He basically died in the last month and a half, might as well have not played. Very bad.

Yes I do still think so considering he is still cheap, young, and Has shown pretty damn good production at the big league level When many people his age are still in the minors

Giving up on him would be like giving up on Bogaerts a few years back imo

He got all the way up to 2.6- 2.7 at one point only to SOIL IT :(

I personally don't feel like he's a core player, but I also feel like they do think of him as part of the core organizationally. And I don't think they'd give up on him with Betts and JDM looking like they're about to walk. I'm just very unimpressed with how his season went this year. Hopefully he rebounds because they're going to need it if Betts gets traded.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Been watching Boston sports 50 yrs

Pretty sure Red Sox ownership is underestimating what’s going to happen if they trade Betts

Prediction if he is traded

They will get hammered - and every time Betts throws a runner out, makes a great catch, hits a homer they will be reminded

Boston fans won’t give a shit about the Cap tax

The owner will get rabbit ears

They will overreact

They will pay some lesser takent/fit more then Betts

Going to happen

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I personally don't feel like he's a core player, but I also feel like they do think of him as part of the core organizationally. And I don't think they'd give up on him with Betts and JDM looking like they're about to walk. I'm just very unimpressed with how his season went this year. Hopefully he rebounds because they're going to need it if Betts gets traded.

I wouldn’t consider him untouchable myself but he’s too much of an asset with the turnover that’s going to happen to aggressively shop him and move him for less than an underpay. It’s more than fair to be unimpressed with his season. It looked like he had things figured out but then he fell right back off the cliff and kinda died as the team did. At the end of the day you were right about his season

If a team really liked him and offered up a relatively young starting pitcher with control I would for sure look into it. Somebody like Luis Castillo. We’d probably have to add a little though

Reactions: LSCII

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Completely agree with Bertrand right now. If Mookie doesn't want to sign here, that's fine. If the reasoning a deal doesn't happen is because the Red Sox want to get under the luxury tax that is 100% on John Henry. You let Dombrowki hand out bad contracts to Sale, Eovaldi, etc. You don't let one of the best players in baseball go because of the freakin luxury tax. This is not some small market podunk team. You are the Boston Red Sox. Figure it the f*** out.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
As for Benintendi...solid player but to me a little disappointing thus far in his career. Not a bust or anything, just thought he'd be a little better. I would definitely dangle him as a trade piece if he can help you get some pitching or a prospect or two in return.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I keep hearing that Betts doesn't want to stay in Boston- is there a problem with management? The fans? Teammates? All of the above?? :dunno:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The Sox need to make a godfather offer to Mookie and make sure that offer is made public.

If he doesn't sign that it's hard to fault them for wanting to get something of value for him before he leaves in FA, but if this is about the luxury tax I will also lose my f***ing mind with the rest of you.

Reactions: CDJ

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Been watching Boston sports 50 yrs

Pretty sure Red Sox ownership is underestimating what’s going to happen if they trade Betts

Prediction if he is traded

They will get hammered - and every time Betts throws a runner out, makes a great catch, hits a homer they will be reminded

Boston fans won’t give a **** about the Cap tax

The owner will get rabbit ears

They will overreact

They will pay some lesser takent/fit more then Betts

Going to happen

The Jon Lester model

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
As for Benintendi...solid player but to me a little disappointing thus far in his career. Not a bust or anything, just thought he'd be a little better. I would definitely dangle him as a trade piece if he can help you get some pitching or a prospect or two in return.

100% agree. He is not a bad player but I thought he was going to be better than he has been thus far.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sam Kennedy tries to put a positive spin on moves and announces ticket prices will increase in 2020

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Horrible season.......plans to dramatically slash payroll and trade/let go at least 2 fan favorites..........increase ticket prices for next year. Makes perfect sense.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Wouldn’t shock me if it’s a toxic work environment

I have wondered about that. This is basically the same team (minus Kimbrel & Kelly) that won a World Series last season but played like a bad Little League team this season, no drive, no passion, no edge, nothing. Something isn't right somewhere and I have to say I'm surprised no intrepid journalist (maybe that's now an oxymoron?) hasn't looked into this angle.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Wow. I've had season tix for 30 years. It's a weekend plan that no longer is available so I kept renewing. But this season was the worst and another price increase will knock me out.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
A "modest" ticket price increase honestly isn't that unexpected. Win or lose, inflation exists. Whether we're under or over the luxury tax, you still have to pay ushers, concessions, and the box office to staff the games. Whether we make the playoffs or not, there's still maintenance/improvements to be done at Fenway. In fact, you could argue that, by not making the playoffs, the Red Sox theoretically need MORE cash, since they're not getting any money from the first 1 or 2 home games in each post-season series.

I can't imagine it'll be much bigger than this year, when the "diamond tier" was introduced. They already have one built-in way to hike prices. Of the six diamond tier games played this year, there was the home opener, 3 Yankees games, and and two Dodgers games. The Dodgers go away, but we get two more home games against the Yankees thanks to London, which can fit right in to the diamond tier - charge extra for 1 Friday game, and all four Saturday/Sunday games.

Trying to stay under the luxury tax reeks of "rebuilding" when it's not necessary. Fans will rightly line Jersey Street with pitchforks and torches.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I have wondered about that. This is basically the same team (minus Kimbrel & Kelly) that won a World Series last season but played like a bad Little League team this season, no drive, no passion, no edge, nothing. Something isn't right somewhere and I have to say I'm surprised no intrepid journalist (maybe that's now an oxymoron?) hasn't looked into this angle.

There’s somebody I follow who is plugged into the org (gets interviews with player development guys often, early info on minor league promotions, etc) and from what he was saying people who used to work for the org came back this year as members of other organizations and felt like people were miserable.

Doesn’t make any sense to me.

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
During the Red Sox’ end-of-season media availability Monday, team president/CEO Sam Kennedy said that whomever they decide to hire as general manager will report to directly to team owners John Henry and Tom Werner.

While ownership noted Friday that they intend on getting below the competitive balance tax, Kennedy clarified Monday that it’s a goal, not a mandate.

When asked if the Red Sox could bring back both J.D. Martinez, who has an opt-out clause, and Mookie Betts, who will be entering his free agent year in 2020, Kennedy said, “There’s a way, but it will be difficult, given the nature of the agreements and the contracts we have in place.

“Look, we have a very targeted and strategic plan we’re building right now. It is going to be a challenging offseason, but we’re ready to attack it head-on.”

Kennedy also said ticket prices will go up modestly.

Red Sox have ‘very targeted and strategic plan,’ says CEO Sam Kennedy - The Boston Globe

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I drafted him in my APBA baseball league 3 years ago and still have him

Although he wasn’t hitting home runs I found a stat through the all star game he had more 380+ outs in baseball - that 105 mph average metric

His average was far below the norm

In late August he was 290 with 55 EBH and close to 500 SLG

He then sprained his thumb and couldn’t hit shit

I prorated his doubles late August and he would have been over 45

Because he’s on my APBA team, the Red Sox, I watch him like my own

End result - bad year but take out September and his thumb problems I’m expecting in 2020

Doubles- 45-50
Triples 5-10
Homeruns 20+

Of all the players in baseball he may be the one I follow the most

Reactions: LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad