Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 6

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Most brutal thing about the sweep. We have a long wait until the team can redeem themselves.

Yup. The sweep rendered all future regular seasons meaningless. CBJ ****ed up the enjoyment we can get out of hockey October - April.

Vicious.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Elsewhere, reports have it that Dustin Byfulien is considering retirement. If that happens, the Jets' blueline will be in rough shape, which could easily spark a Laine trade. Which of course would include a new contract for Laine, thus a little more light on this RFA situation.

Hard to imagine the Jets and Laine going much further together, at this point.
Might be the perfect time for the Bolts to sell high on Sergachev.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yup. The sweep rendered all future regular seasons meaningless. CBJ ****ed up the enjoyment we can get out of hockey October - April.

Vicious.

Ill enjoy it for a bit when it comes back in October but yea late November and into winter will be brutal. It almost feels like if we had another season where we dominated the standings would be kind of boring this time around. Although I think it would speak a lot about this team it would be good in that way but at the same time it would feel almost pointless as we have to wait and see how they do in the playoffs.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I feel like i'm the only one who's over the sweep. That was last season, its in the past. Move on. Who cares what other teams/fans think. All that matters is how they do this year IN THE PLAYOFFS :)

Last edited:

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
I feel like i'm the only one who's over the sweep. That was last season, its in the past. Move on. Who cares what other teams/fans think. All that matters is how they do this year.
It makes me worry about this upcoming season (and the various implications, such as do we take our foot off the gas, do we try to tie or beat 62 wins, do we lose more so we are playing “more meaningful hockey” going into the playoffs), but I was over it when it happened. If I didn’t find it funny it probably would have stung more

Edit: it also does make the regular season seem more meaningless. Not sure if I will get as excited watching the reg season. Maybe I’m not as over it as you

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
It makes me worry about this upcoming season (and the various implications, such as do we take our foot off the gas, do we try to tie or beat 62 wins, do we lose more so we are playing “more meaningful hockey” going into the playoffs), but I was over it when it happened. If I didn’t find it funny it probably would have stung more

Edit: it also does make the regular season seem more meaningless. Not sure if I will get as excited watching the reg season. Maybe I’m not as over it as you
I'm not too worried about the regular season. The question is "Will this team be ready come game 1 of the playoffs?". After last year I have no doubt in my mind that they will come out guns blazing and ready to go. I wouldn't be surprised if they treated the last few games of the season as playoff games, or at the very least play hard.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I feel like i'm the only one who's over the sweep. That was last season, its in the past. Move on. Who cares what other teams/fans think. All that matters is how they do this year.

All that matters is how they do after April, that loss killed the regular season. Could go 82-0 or slide into 8th place on the last day, wouldn't matter they just need to make the playoffs and win.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
All that matters is how they do after April, that loss killed the regular season. Could go 82-0 or slide into 8th place on the last day, wouldn't matter they just need to make the playoffs and win.
I was talking about playoffs when I said that lol. Should have been more specific.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I feel like i'm the only one who's over the sweep. That was last season, its in the past. Move on. Who cares what other teams/fans think. All that matters is how they do this year IN THE PLAYOFFS :)

Yeah, but that's the point. All that matters is the playoffs, as brutally proven to us last year. So it makes the regular season feel barely worth following. I mean, we will, but there's this little voice in our heads saying like, "Yeah, we won a game in impressive fashion, buuuuut..."

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Yeah, but that's the point. All that matters is the playoffs, as brutally proven to us last year. So it makes the regular season feel barely worth following. I mean, we will, but there's this little voice in our heads saying like, "Yeah, we won a game in impressive fashion, buuuuut..."

Honestly, I already felt that way during last regular season. Two Conference Final Game 7 defeats - 2018 being much more painful for obvious reasons - in our last two playoff trips, and we had been hearing about how we were supposed to be the next dynasty for the past several years already (only to see another Eastern team win two Cups in the meantime). I was very much in the "lets just get to April" mode last season, and then...you know.

Nonetheless, you're completely right about it. I'll watch, we'll all watch. It's a duty, really. But, as far as how many craps I have to give, wake me up in April. Nothing that happens until then actually means anything.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Typically I'm a fan of regular season success as the top teams in the regular season gives themselves the best chance to win in the playoffs, it can also show how a team has improved on any weaknesses from the season before. What made their season last year more incredible up until the playoffs was that they responded to a game 7 ECF loss by running through the league the year after.

But then the playoffs happened and much killed 2 years worth of excitement, you can't look back at last season without noticing the gigantic stain on it and this years is a write-off until April.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Honestly, I already felt that way during last regular season. Two Conference Final Game 7 defeats - 2018 being much more painful for obvious reasons - in our last two playoff trips, and we had been hearing about how we were supposed to be the next dynasty for the past several years already (only to see another Eastern team win two Cups in the meantime). I was very much in the "lets just get to April" mode last season, and then...you know.

Nonetheless, you're completely right about it. I'll watch, we'll all watch. It's a duty, really. But, as far as how many craps I have to give, wake me up in April. Nothing that happens until then actually means anything.

Agree I was feeling that way last year...

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I'm not too worried about the regular season. The question is "Will this team be ready come game 1 of the playoffs?". After last year I have no doubt in my mind that they will come out guns blazing and ready to go. I wouldn't be surprised if they treated the last few games of the season as playoff games, or at the very least play hard.

They came out guns blazing in game 1 last season too, then adversity hit and they folded like Cooper led teams always seem to do.

I won't trust this team, under Cooper, has what it takes to win it all until they face adversity and overcome it. 0-6 in our last six playoff games, if we don't win the Cup this season we're not winning the Cup with this group.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
They came out guns blazing in game 1 last season too, then adversity hit and they folded like Cooper led teams always seem to do.

I won't trust this team, under Cooper, has what it takes to win it all until they face adversity and overcome it. 0-6 in our last six playoff games, if we don't win the Cup this season we're not winning the Cup with this group.

Sounds like thats your problem.

You said it yourself, "until they face adversity and overcome it". Maybe thats this year. If you "won't" trust the team then I'm not sure what else to tell you.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015

You said it yourself, "until they face adversity and overcome it". Maybe thats this year. If you "won't" trust the team then I'm not sure what else to tell you.

I'm really not sure which part of my post you're questioning. I'm simply saying this team has a history of playing soft under Cooper, and when adversity strikes they seem to always fold. We've blown numerous series leads under him, and we have the talent to have won the Cup by now but haven't. I've always been vocal about Cooper and I how I don't believe the guys respect or fear him in any way, or trust his system. I think that mindset started to creep in during our Washington series debacle, and I think it fully matured during the CBJ series.

How they play during the regular season will tell us a lot, my personal opinion is they have given up on him as their coach. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

I mean, has Cooper done anything to earn trust at this point? I see a head coach with a .500 playoff record in home games, where we've lost seven Game 1's at home out of nine (which means we're constantly behind the 8-ball immediately) and where, except for 2016, every time we were eliminated from the playoffs, it was a series where we were the higher seed (and even 2016 still involved losing a home Game 6 when we had a chance to win the series; in potential ECF clinching games, we're 1-5 under Cooper and 0-3 at home).

Our first postseason under Jon Cooper involved us getting swept in the first round. Our fifth posteason under Cooper involved us getting swept in the first round. We're right back where we started, as far as I'm concerned, only having now played six seasons with this core and not being at the beginning of their ascent.

Reactions: DMB06

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
JBB set the deadline for Dom and Condon, otherwise, they'll get waived. It's with the Sept 22ish cut when waivers start.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
in all fairness a bunch of people would put me as mr positive for the entire org at least in ways. I would bet on that and as far as cooper goes i dont trust him as far as i could throw him and honestly id gas a plane after his past to get him the hell off coaching this team....

I am a faair guy but how many failures? yep all have related injuries and extremely unfortunate times so he gets a pass but when you get 4-8 chances with what we have talent wise you got to question it all in fairness....

what im full scared of above is I HOPE WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS can we start in a total funk? to me easy YES

can we drop a ton of games to start the year cause cooper has lost our team??? at this point again I am inclined to feel YES.... that is what is scary and I will not keep accepting this bs this wasnt our time...

we are too good not to make it all the way plain and simple too deep too incredible even .... yet we have been the buffalo bills not the new england patriots..... where is bill bellicheck already.... hopefully cooper can do the job i have zero faith in it till after he proves me wrong

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
in all fairness a bunch of people would put me as mr positive for the entire org at least in ways. I would bet on that and as far as cooper goes i dont trust him as far as i could throw him and honestly id gas a plane after his past to get him the hell off coaching this team....

I am a faair guy but how many failures? yep all have related injuries and extremely unfortunate times so he gets a pass but when you get 4-8 chances with what we have talent wise you got to question it all in fairness....

what im full scared of above is I HOPE WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS can we start in a total funk? to me easy YES

can we drop a ton of games to start the year cause cooper has lost our team??? at this point again I am inclined to feel YES.... that is what is scary and I will not keep accepting this bs this wasnt our time...

we are too good not to make it all the way plain and simple too deep too incredible even .... yet we have been the buffalo bills not the new england patriots..... where is bill bellicheck already.... hopefully cooper can do the job i have zero faith in it till after he proves me wrong

Where is Bill Belichick? He is down south coaching the Florida Panthers!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad