Confirmed with Link: 2019 Off-Season Avs sign Nichushkin to 1 year deal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Someone explain the zero goal guy being leverage for the 30+ guy thing to me

He's a warm body on a one way deal. Adding any potential NHL player at the end of August, while one of your RFA's is still unsigned, gives the impression that Sakic won't cave if Mikko threatens to holdout.

It's not a ton of leverage, and it depends on how Sakic plays it out from here. If he just stays patient and doesn't engage with Liut, it puts a little extra pressure on them to make the next move, instead of Sakic.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I think Rantanen laughs his ass off if this really is a ploy to put pressure on him.

Thankfully I don't think it is at all. Completely unrelated imo.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Even better! The old hockey thinking of bulking up as much as possible should be completely tossed out the window. It always scares me when I hear a team tells a player to bulk up, or they gained 15lbs in a summer. It almost never works out well.

Practically every prospect bulks up after being drafted. It's part of the process. The reality is no one can put on 15 lbs of lean muscle over a summer. If they put on that much weight, then they're adding fat too. So the only time you ever hear about it, is when someone got too heavy, at the expense of cardio and their conditioning.

When every other player adds a few pounds of muscle at the request of the organization, there's practically no mention of it. So you're only aware of the bad examples, not the good examples.

Makar is the most recent example. He said himself he added about 10 pounds of muscle since his draft year, and essentially no one talked about it.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think Rantanen laughs his ass off if this really is a ploy to put pressure on him.

Thankfully I don't think it is at all. Completely unrelated imo.

They didn't sign Nichuskin solely to put pressure on Mikko, and pressure might be too strong a word. It's about getting Liut to make the next move, rather than Sakic.

They didn't sign Nichuskin in late August solely because they think he can help the Avs. That makes no sense whatsoever. It's one of those low level deals that was only done because it had multiple small benefits.

Knowing how secretive this organization is, one of those small reasons might even be an off season injury to one of the bottom 6 guys, that make them a question to start the season. Wouldn't surprise me at all if that was the case and we didn't hear about it until next month.

Reactions: MarkT

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They didn't sign Nichuskin solely to put pressure on Mikko, and pressure might be too strong a word. It's about getting Liut to make the next move, rather than Sakic.

They didn't sign Nichuskin in late August solely because they think he can help the Avs. That makes no sense whatsoever. It's one of those low level deals that was only done because it had multiple small benefits.

Knowing how secretive this organization is, one of those small reasons might even be an off season injury to one of the bottom 6 guys, that make them a question to start the season. Wouldn't surprise me at all if that was the case and we didn't hear about it until next month.

I agree. I don't think this move was made simply to light a fire under Rantanen's camp, but I don't believe it was entirely a hockey move either.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
I highly doubt Joe's logic is to try and pressure a top line, point per game player who is on the verge of become one of the highest paid players in the league by signing a random 0 goal, 850K a year player to "sign now or else". Be like trying to shooting down a UFO with a Roman candle.

Joe and company probably saw an opportunity to bolster depth with a zero risk high reward player. Injuries happen all the time as well. Let just wait a bit and see how it plays out.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I highly doubt Joe's logic is to try and pressure a top line, point per game player who is on the verge of become one of the highest paid players in the league by signing a random 0 goal, 850K a year player to "sign now or else". Be like trying to shooting down a UFO with a Roman candle.

Joe and company probably saw an opportunity to bolster depth with a zero risk high reward player. Injuries happen all the time as well. Let just wait a bit and see how it plays out.

So Joe woke up in late August and decided to bolster his depth with a 0 goal guy? That can't be the only reason because it doesn't make any sense.

It's not about saying sign now or else. It's about posturing like he'll be ok if Mikko decides to hold out. He can do that as long as he signs someone with any potential of playing in the NHL next year.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Yo Mikko, you can sign or not, no big deal. We got THE Valeri Nichushkin. Better take our shit offer. In the mean time, we're good with our zero goal bust of a player cuz we posturing like we ok without you.

Reactions: Avs425

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Holy. Crap.

People are "being so negative about it" because he's a bad hockey player. In 223 career NHL games he's scored 74 points. That's anywhere from 24-34 more points than what you think he'll put up this year, in 141 more games (should he play all 82).

He had 10 points last year and exactly 0 goals. If you want to go strictly off of stats (which would still be the wrong way to do it), his career best, which happens to be 6 years ago just after he was drafted, would be the 34 points in 79 games played (that .43PPG average would have him at 35pts in 82 games). He's gone down every year since then. And the justification for why you think Nichushkin could get 40-50 points is because Nemeth "tripled his production"? I mean sure, phrasing it that way is nice and all, but the reality is he went from seasons of 3, 8, and 3 points (while also splitting time in the AHL) to 15 and 10 points in his two years with the Avs. So yeah...you can say he tripled his production, but the production wasn't super high to begin with.

I understand what your saying. But what I was implying, is when your heading down the depth chart in Dallas, production isn't generally a strong point.

He had an okay rookie season , so Ii don't see , with guys like Makar, Girard, Byram, Johnson, Timmins, Cole and others in the backend, he can't produce a lot more.

Plus, I'm still unsure who Kadri's linemates are. If it's him, and with Kadri being a goal scorer , his production will naturally increase.

I've watched quite a few highlights, and he was playing early in with bugger name players (hence the production increase).

Can we at eastl give him a go?

Also, to the others, Yakupov and Grits were very, very talented players in the wrong places, at the wrong times. I feel sorry for them.

I wish Yak was still here tbh. And Grigs is doing very well now these days I think.

Pistache

Mar 25, 2009
Who said anything about putting pressure on Mikko's camp in negotiation. It is just to get ready for the worst. Nichushkin will take Wilson's place on the fourth line who will push Jonskoi from the third to the second and Burakowsky will go from the second to the first. Just in case.

If Sakic wants to adjust on Aho's contract, it is fine with me (8.5M per year) , he is right. I don't want Sakic to go crazy and give more than 10M to Rantanen who signed only one contract (entry level contract) with us so far and is only 22. He has one good year only under his belt. He does not deserve more than 8.5M. Same for Marner, Boeser, Laine, Point and Tkachuk. Those are all 22/23 year old guys who are (for most of them) at their second contract.

Sakic looks a lot like me with my own finance ;-). If you want to go far and do a long run, spend your money intelligently. The guy is more and more clever about that. I like it. When you give a contract, always think about the rest of the team and how you will structure it. He will need to sign a lot of guys in the next 5 years and you need to have money for everyone. Who knows how much money Makar, Jost and Bura will cost us next year if they have fantastic year!

Reactions: Foxtail

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I understand what your saying. But what I was implying, is when your heading down the depth chart in Dallas, production isn't generally a strong point.

He had an okay rookie season , so Ii don't see , with guys like Makar, Girard, Byram, Johnson, Timmins, Cole and others in the backend, he can't produce a lot more.

Plus, I'm still unsure who Kadri's linemates are. If it's him, and with Kadri being a goal scorer , his production will naturally increase.

I've watched quite a few highlights, and he was playing early in with bugger name players (hence the production increase).

Also, to the others, Yakupov and Grits were very, very talented players in the wrong places, at the wrong times. I feel sorry for them.

I wish Yak was still here tbh. And Grigs is doing very well now these days I think.

Unless we're trading for Seguin & Benn for him to leech off of again, how could he possibly produce more than he did in his rookie year?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Did you really just use Ian Cole as an argument for why Nuke can be more productive here in Denver?

Ian Cole

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Are people actually harping on SE for being positive? I mean that's his gift, no matter what always positive. Some things I agree with, others I think he's out to lunch :laugh: but that's what he provides here and I appreciate it.

SE is going to be SE. The whole "being relentlessly positive" thing is fine and all. However, there can be a limit to that, and I feel that I've only responded to it when it has gone beyond that limit :laugh:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
He's a warm body on a one way deal. Adding any potential NHL player at the end of August, while one of your RFA's is still unsigned, gives the impression that Sakic won't cave if Mikko threatens to holdout.

I think it's more likely they need a warm NHL body in case of injury, and they don't see any viable options on the AHL team.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

If he weren't a 1st round pick 6 years ago then I doubt anyone believes he would be a good addition. However, he's signed to a deal, so we'll see him in some fashion this season, so it's done from that perspective.

But the guy is a bad hockey player. Just bad.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think it's more likely they need a warm NHL body in case of injury, and they don't see any viable options on the AHL team.

It has to be more than that. Otherwise Sakic would have signed someone in July. Either an injury, or he's trying to posture with Mikko's agent, or both. Plus they probably think Nichuksin still has upside.

They regularly seem to think big guys that can skate will play better for them than their last teams. My guess is it's some combination of the three, but not just that they want more depth. The timing just doesn't make sense for that to be the lone reason.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I just saw that him and Kamenev have the same agent. There has been talk of both of them ending up in Russia and now they're both on the same team, possibly in a prove it year, and could be competing for the same spot.

Reactions: Goulet17

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yo Mikko, you can sign or not, no big deal. We got THE Valeri Nichushkin. Better take our **** offer. In the mean time, we're good with our zero goal bust of a player cuz we posturing like we ok without you.

GM's do this all the time with players nowhere near as good as the unsigned player. Not sure why this is so shocking.

It's about adding a cheap potential NHLer to make sure you have enough forwards to enter the season. It's not about replacing the player. If Sakic signed another Gabe Bourque or a camp tryout it would accomplish the same thing. He chose Nichuskin instead because their scouts probably like him.

It gives the appearance that Sakic is preparing to enter the season without Mikko if need be. Then if they do sign him, they have one extra depth forward they didn't need originally.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad