Confirmed with Link: 2019 Off-Season Avs sign Nichushkin to 1 year deal

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Man when the Stars first released him I thought to myself that I would love to bring him here just to spice up camp or just because it's so low risk. League minimum is exactly what I expected it to be, and he did have a 14 goal 34 point rookie season. Couple injuries in his career and some of the pressure of not performing the way he wanted to in Dallas could lead to a bounce back year if he stays healthy. I don't expect anything, hell I'm not even sure I expect him to be anywhere but the press box, but he's a big boy at 6'4, could probably make a responsible two way physical player out of this dude if they wanted to.

Buried in a sea of page 1-3 negativity. You go me, you go.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
We all got this one wrong. To be fair, there was flat zero expectations anywhere that he could become this after his misadventures in Dallas. I doubt even Joe Sakic saw this coming, it was as much luck as it was savvy pro scouting. If anybody around the league thought this was a possibility, he would have gotten a little more than 800k/1yr on the free agent market.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Even if he’d’ve remained the capable, puck hounding middle 6’er level he played at prior to this season the gamble would’ve been well worth it. The fact it’s now paid off in spades is an unforeseen consequence we’ll just have to live with. :naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: niwotsblessing

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
There’s two people that deserve special recognition, Nichushkin for his development and performance and JB for trusting him with more responsibility this season and elevating him to the first line.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
First pages of this thread :laugh: People showed 0 faith in the guy. Maybe deservedly so but still.

Vakarte

May 30, 2022
What a character arc he went through
1655666014703.png

1655666038037.png

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
What a bump, lol!

I would say that this is accurate, more often than not players will jump ship and go to Europe to make a decent living. Nuke is the just one of those reclamation projects that work, but that's why you keep making reclamation projects even if majority do not work out.

Are there any guys you think would be good reclamation projects for the Avs this off-season?

My mind keeps coming back to Morgan Frost, whose skating would be a nice fit for the Avs (though I'm not sure about his two-way game). He's been up and down to the minors but isn't waivers exempt anymore starting in October. Maybe a prospect swap around Ranta or Kaut would appeal to Fletcher.

Edit: Also wonder if NJ would part with Zetterlund, he has a decent motor on the forecheck which might suit Bednar's bottom 6.

Wish we could get a hold of Emil Heineman at some point too, he's a high IQ forechecker as well.

Reactions: S E P H

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
He'll be much better than people are giving him credit for. I see 40-50 points from him if he plays with Kadri. Big, fast, can skate.
Love the signing. If Nemeth can triple his production with us (gutted to see him go), Nichushkin will be amazing.

Not sure why everyone is being so negative about it.

The one time Sea Eagles' positivity turned out to be absolutely bang on the money 💰

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
I didn't post in this thread but I also thought this was just a reclamation project, low risk low reward type of signing like Yakupov at the time. Couldn't be more wrong.

I wonder what the hell happened to him in Dallas? I'm guessing hewas just very unlucky or snake bitten.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Also listened to 32 Thoughts and Friedman reaffirmed what he said last night.

- He got a call from someone on another club, who said he's under the impression that the Avs have gone to Nuke and told him he's very high on the priority list (aside from the MacKinnon contract).

- Nuke knows what it's like to be in a situation where the fit doesn't work. This source said he (Nuke) knows what is important, and the Avs know they have to make a good offer to keep him. At least 50% chance if not greater that we keep him.

Nothing ground breaking but good to hear the Avs don't plan on playing around with him and falling back on Lehkonen.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Nuke is more important to sign than Kadri. That's really saying something considering the positions both players play.
If Kadri was 28 years old, I think he would be a higher priority. But there will probably be quite a few years on Kadri's next contract that has a high probability to be bad. If Kadri wants to sign a 3 year $6M/year deal with Avs, Sakic would obviously be all over it.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I didn't post in this thread but I also thought this was just a reclamation project, low risk low reward type of signing like Yakupov at the time. Couldn't be more wrong.

I wonder what the hell happened to him in Dallas? I'm guessing hewas just very unlucky or snake bitten.
I posted after a few games and said he has the tools to be a 4th liner.. undershot it a little haha.

Looking only at pre-Avs stats, it seems like he had decent seasons to start with, then went to the KHL and played well there too, but then came back to the NHL and had one weak season. It is pretty weird for them to just completely give up on the guy. We have many lesser prospects in the Avs than Nuke was at that point for the Stars. Their fans can probably tell more.

EDIT: Okay he was making 3M in Dallas, that explains that.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Nuke is priority number one for sure. We learned that such skilled warriors are a lethal weapon during playoffs, and we have a lot ! Nuke, Gabe, Cogs, Helm, JTC, LOC, all of them make the difference

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The years he spent with CSKA really helped him. That team was the cream of the crop in the KHL, but they did it playing great defense and Nichushkin evolved into a solid defensive forward.

And from day 1 since signing with the Avs, he's been useful. Even when he was a bottom 6er you could tell he was focused on helping the team in any way he could. And whenever he scored a goal, you couldn't help but to feel good for him.

Offensively the tools were always there but it definitely looked like he wouldn't put it together. But now that he has, he's a unique player to have. One of the best 1 year deals of recent memory.

It's still a good story for any player to look at and never say never. He would've never gotten the opportunity the produce the way he has if he didn't work on his defensive game and find a way to make an impact to gain the coaches trust first.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
If Kadri was 28 years old, I think he would be a higher priority. But there will probably be quite a few years on Kadri's next contract that has a high probability to be bad. If Kadri wants to sign a 3 year $6M/year deal with Avs, Sakic would obviously be all over it.
The problem is that there is absolutely someone out there who will offer 6 @ $6M and years 4-6 could be ugly. Keep in mind I am likely the most supportive HF'er when it comes to Kadri.

Then again, Kadri is a rink rat. He grew up in Toronto where hockey is religion. The Avs give hima shot at multiple cups. The Avs give him a shot at being part of a dynasty whereas Buffalo or Arizona might give him the $$$ ( and Buffalo is very close to home) but there will be no more names on the cup.

In any other year, the cap experts like @Richard88 would already have their Cap Friendly scenarios swirling, but there is this little matter of cheering on the team as it wins ( hopefully) the cup. But Sakic is going to have to work some spreadsheet miracles. I'd start by looking to a Frankie / Husso or Frankie / Fleury tandem. The team is halfway to proving it can win a Final with mediocre goaltending. Why pay $5 or $6M for Kuemper, who has not been measurably better than Frankie this year. Fleury is an intriguing prospect. He's already made $81M in his career. Surely he would prefer his 'goodbye tour' with a cup contender, as opposed to a bottom feeder, or with a Minnesota team with cap issues that made this season their last gasp for at least 3 years. Sakic should have Sammy G get on the phone and have a good 'parlez' with Fleury.

An argument can be made that Nuke fits nicely into the current Bura contract slot, though someone might toos and extra $1M his way. Nate's money is safely hidden in EJ's retirement party. In order to pay Kadri and Nuke both $6M, Sakic needs to find $2.5 million. He can find that $$ in a Frankie + Husso / Fleury or similar goalie investment. The team, and this board, will just have to get accustomed to not having a goalie who can steal games.

Then find some money for Byram's raise in 23-24.....................

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad