Confirmed with Link: 2019 Off-Season Avs sign Nichushkin to 1 year deal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Losing him would be a big loss. The only issues I've had with Sakic is not signing Nuke and Toews to max deals. In his defence, they hadn't proven themselves. Both will be very expensive now. Hindsight is 20/20.

Yeah I don't think he had much choice in those areas. They had to keep the AAV low with Toews and Nuke didn't have a resume at the time that would have commanded max term.

They still might not be able to give Nuke a long term deal unless it comes with a low AAV.

I thought Compher's $3.5M x 4 year deal might end up being a good target for them, but the more Nuke scores, the higher that AAV is gonna be. He's probably in the $4M x 4 year range now and climbing.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yeah I don't think he had much choice in those areas. They had to keep the AAV low with Toews and Nuke didn't have a resume at the time that would have commanded max term.

They still might not be able to give Nuke a long term deal unless it comes with a low AAV.

I thought Compher's $3.5M x 4 year deal might end up being a good target for them, but the more Nuke scores, the higher that AAV is gonna be. He's probably in the $4M x 4 year range now and climbing.
I'd say he's probably closer to 6m honestly

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd say he's probably closer to 6m honestly

It will be interesting to see what his end of season totals will be and what kind of numbers are thrown at him if he hits UFA.

He's been great this season, but as of now, his career high in points is still his 34 point rookie season. I'm sure GM's will be wondering how much of this season is a contract year performance, and how much of it is him realizing he can score in the NHL and coming into his own.

It's probably both. I wonder how well he can play outside of the Avs system too. I think the role he's been given by Bednar has given him a real sense of purpose, and in turn given him confidence, which has helped him find his scoring touch again. He's just a perfect fit on this team.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Losing him would be a big loss. The only issues I've had with Sakic is not signing Nuke and Toews to max deals. In his defence, they hadn't proven themselves. Both will be very expensive now. Hindsight is 20/20.
best player on the team no joke

Toews meh

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It will be interesting to see what his end of season totals will be and what kind of numbers are thrown at him if he hits UFA.

He's been great this season, but as of now, his career high in points is still his 34 point rookie season. I'm sure GM's will be wondering how much of this season is a contract year performance, and how much of it is him realizing he can score in the NHL and coming into his own.

It's probably both. I wonder how well he can play outside of the Avs system too. I think the role he's been given by Bednar has given him a real sense of purpose, and in turn given him confidence, which has helped him find his scoring touch again. He's just a perfect fit on this team.

I think this is something Nuke should also consider before pricing himself way out. Remember who believed in you and gave you the opportunity when you were on your last leg in this league. Be nice if he showed a little loyalty. Im not counting on it because these are pro athletes and they need to earn but you can always take the Pastrnak approach to money.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Went from being what may as well have been a PTO to being a key top 6 forward

brinks-truck-cash.gif

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
He'll be much better than people are giving him credit for. I see 40-50 points from him if he plays with Kadri. Big, fast, can skate.
Love the signing. If Nemeth can triple his production with us (gutted to see him go), Nichushkin will be amazing.

Not sure why everyone is being so negative about it.
Sea Eagles knows best. LOL

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
A few people were impartial or open to the possibility. Many people were, well, not quite accurate in their assessment given what he's ended up being for us. We can't get them all right.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
A few people were impartial or open to the possibility. Many people were, well, not quite accurate in their assessment given what he's ended up being for us. We can't get them all right.

I’m generally pretty optimistic but I didn’t even expect what we ended up with out of Nuke. For all the Grigorenkos and Yakupovs, you occasionally end up with a Nichushkin.

Thankfully it sounds like Nuke is the Avs priority and Nuke wants to come back because they gave him an opportunity (according to Friedman at least).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What a bump, lol!
I’m generally pretty optimistic but I didn’t even expect what we ended up with out of Nuke. For all the Grigorenkos and Yakupovs, you occasionally end up with a Nichushkin.

Thankfully it sounds like Nuke is the Avs priority and Nuke wants to come back because they gave him an opportunity (according to Friedman at least).
I would say that this is accurate, more often than not players will jump ship and go to Europe to make a decent living. Nuke is the just one of those reclamation projects that work, but that's why you keep making reclamation projects even if majority do not work out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad