Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL TRADE DEADLINE PART 3 - Marcus Johansson to Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Would have to think Johansson was down on the list of choices.
1) Stone
2) Panarin
3) Schenn
4) RN Hopkins
5) Eberle
6) Dzingel
7) Kreider
8) Toffoli
9) Nyquist
10) Simmonds
11) Johansson

Personally I don't think Simmonds was ever part of the plan considering the Nash disaster last year.

6-8 of the names on your list were wishful thinking.

Bruins went for speed...they got it.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Now that I've had some time to digest the deadline...

I don't hate our moves, but I don't know that it was enough. I think a lot of the success hinges on whether Heinen can be that top 6 guy with Marchand/Bergeron. I'm not sure how the roster will shake out once everyone is 100% but I really want to see one of JFK/Frederic/Studnicka (when done w/ jr) between MoJo and Coyle. For JFK/Frederic, I want to see what they can do with some established talent.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I'm not arguing with you on this point. I do not have a feeling that the sky is falling because of this deadline. I'm still pissed at Sweeney for not making a decent pick-up in the offseason, but believe that, if the acquired player play as they are expected, this team is no worse than the 2011 squad, maybe better.
I know you were not arguing with me, my post was meant to agree with you sorry if it sounded otherwise.

I am still working on my first coffee of the day.

Reactions: nazartp

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Now that I've had some time to digest the deadline...

I don't hate our moves, but I don't know that it was enough. I think a lot of the success hinges on whether Heinen can be that top 6 guy with Marchand/Bergeron. I'm not sure how the roster will shake out once everyone is 100% but I really want to see one of JFK/Frederic/Studnicka (when done w/ jr) between MoJo and Coyle. For JFK/Frederic, I want to see what they can do with some established talent.

I agree with this, more so JFK since I see more flash in his game. Sadly I don't know that there is time to find a spot for everyone while slotting in rooks to build chemistry.

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
Without question, organization plays a role and I perceive the Bruins are in the middle of the pack.

Cam Neely is the new Harry Sinden but should he be the COO of the Bruins? I love Cameron but would any other team in the NHL hire him in the front office?

Compare Cam and Sweeney to this

Sweeney/Neely would get ROASTED if they came out and said anything similar to this.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
With all this hype, I'd imagine it would be pretty funny if TB was knocked out in the first round. Which is entirely possible.
In all honesty, I do not see a challenger from the wild card spot to be able to take on Tampa. We are talking Columbus, Montreal, Pittsburgh and Carolina. Barring injuries, Columbus and Carolina are legit, but not in the same class as Tampa. Montreal and Pittsburgh are dumpster fires at this point.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Sweeney/Neely would get ROASTED if they came out and said anything similar to this.
Lou makes a good point saying you have to be careful bringing someone in, since it will move someone already there. My concern is with Johannson/Marchand (initially at least). No matter what they say publicly, sometimes that takes a while to get worked out. And if Johannson takes the spot of one of Marchands good locker room friends it might never go away.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I'll say it again that these 2 were nice upgrades to a abysmal midd6.

But, yet even with these moves they aren't clear favourites in the 1st round even, that's how good the high end of East is.

In the payoffs anyone can get pushed out. Crazy things happen, Bruins have as much chance as any team with the two adds to win a cup.

Most times the subtle moves are what makes the difference not the big name in a cup run. One thing I'm willing to bet is that there are a lot of gm's in the NHL that are furious with the Sens this morning .

And it's not because they didn't get the HOFamer Stone either

Reactions: Trizz617

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
In all honesty, I do not see a challenger from the wild card spot to be able to take on Tampa. We are talking Columbus, Montreal, Pittsburgh and Carolina. Barring injuries, Columbus and Carolina are legit, but not in the same class as Tampa. Montreal and Pittsburgh are dumpster fires at this point.

February 2011: "Washington looks unbeatable. They're deep, loaded, have the best offensive player in the game, Holtby is a beast in goal. There's no way they lose, especially to a pedestrian Montreal team with Jaroslav Halak in net.

"Rich Peverley and Chris Kelly? I'm not sure those are the cornerstones of a team that's going to win a Cup. They need a legit top-6 wing rather than some 43-year-old to play with 63 & 37."

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I think if Johansson was a secondary pick up I would be thrilled. I really like the player, but he’s just not enough to compete with Tampa.

Tampa will be under enormous pressure to win it all this year, that can play on teams. Everything has gone their way this season, lets see how it plays out, of all the major sports luck plays a more prominent role in hockey.

Reactions: Trizz617

LouisSleigher

Jul 6, 2013
SW Ohio
February 2011: "Washington looks unbeatable. They're deep, loaded, have the best offensive player in the game, Holtby is a beast in goal. There's no way they lose, especially to a pedestrian Montreal team with Jaroslav Halak in net.

"Rich Peverley and Chris Kelly? I'm not sure those are the cornerstones of a team that's going to win a Cup. They need a legit top-6 wing rather than some 43-year-old to play with 63 & 37."
Good points.

Reactions: Alicat

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
I don’t hate the deals but don’t really see the need for MoJo at that price. These are typical Bruins moves though. Picks for middle of the road players. Eh. Would have taken Simmonds over MoJo considering the price.

I really like the Coyle deal. To me, that one was a no brainer but I’ve never been as high on Donato as most. Seems like a deal that could work out for both teams.

If the Bruins actually wanted Stone, they were obviously in contact with the Sens. People were asking for “hard proof” the Sens won’t deal in division..... how? The fact that Vegas signed him at an 8yesr term means the trade itself was probably agreed upon days ago. Bruins “could” have probably beaten the offer, but then everyone is up in arms when he walks because the Bruins were not signing Stone for 9mil.

Would have liked to have seen a defensemen coming back but not many “high end” ones were moved. Would Montour have made sense at the price he was dealt for?

I think the team as it sits has a decent shot at making some real noise in the playoffs. I think they can hang with any team in a 7 game series but a lot of bounces need to come out way if we’re going to get through Tampa. Give me Montreal and Toronto in back to back series to get some rivalry blood flowing and then I’ll accept a loss to Tampa

My somewhat bold prediction is that stempniak outplays MoJo and find a spot in the lineup come playoff time.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006

I am not arguing the second point. The first one though - Canucks were WAY better than Washington. In fact B's were only what, 4 points behind, Washington? Montreal was, methinks about 10-11 points back. Right now Montreal is full 27 points back from Tampa. And Montreal sucks right now as well as Pittsburgh. We'll see how the last 20 or so games shake out in terms of trends and injuries.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
We can be for or against deadline acquisitions...we can be sweeny believer or sweeny hater...only one thing is sure and the truth
Results will tell everything !!!

Reactions: missingchicklet

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Lou makes a good point saying you have to be careful bringing someone in, since it will move someone already there. My concern is with Johannson/Marchand (initially at least). No matter what they say publicly, sometimes that takes a while to get worked out. And if Johannson takes the spot of one of Marchands good locker room friends it might never go away.
You are looking for drama where there is none.

Reactions: FanSince72

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Without question, organization plays a role and I perceive the Bruins are in the middle of the pack.

Cam Neely is the new Harry Sinden but should he be the COO of the Bruins? I love Cameron but would any other team in the NHL hire him in the front office?

Compare Cam and Sweeney to this

I would make dozens of sacrifices to the hockey gods to get a GM like Lou Lamoriello. That guy is absolute class.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Would have to think Johansson was down on the list of choices.
1) Stone
2) Panarin
3) Schenn
4) RN Hopkins
5) Eberle
6) Dzingel
7) Kreider
8) Toffoli
9) Nyquist
10) Simmonds
11) Johansson

>Eberle

What? lol

Why bring in a perennial underachiever like Eberle in comparison to Johansson?

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
sports2262019.png

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
We got one of the hottest players in the last few weeks in production. He has shown to score on the power play in the net presence area, which no one other JDB can do. Gets black hole Backes off the PP, that is a bonus. He is a bigger Nyquist basically, he plays all 3 positions too.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
I'll get bashed for this, but I truly believe we can beat Tampa! Tampa has a great record and all, but playoffs are an entirely different beast. I'll put my chips on a squad of Bergy, Krejci, Marchy, Pasta w/ added depth etc, against any team. Lets not start handing Tampa the cup just yet. Plenty of hockey to be played. The moves the B's made yesterday did more to help the cause, than hurt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia