2019 NHL Draft - June 21st - With The 14th Selection, The Coyotes.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I haven't been studying this draft class in depth yet, but you can probably rule out the scoring wingers with Chayka.

There seem to be quite a few well rounded players around the range we will pick, if we don't make the playoffs. If we have a poor season and win a lottery and get Kakko at 2nd that would be amazing for us. Podkolzin seems very talented as well at first impression. As I get older I get more and more interested in the psychology and personality of the players which are harder to asses with just an eye test.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I haven't been studying this draft class in depth yet, but you can probably rule out the scoring wingers with Chayka.
I don't care how good Byram might be. I don't want a LD in the 1st round. Just give me Jack Hughes and I'll go home peacefully.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Lose for Hughes!

I'm still to be convinced by Huhges. Yes he is definitely exceptionally talented, especially as a skater, possibly a generational talent, but he is also soft with a so so shot. I am not sure his game translates to the NHL if he plays on a weak line. Is he that much better than Keller? I don't see him as a certain home run as say McDavid or MacKinnon. At this very early point, before I know more about the top prospects, hand on heart and ignoring the politics, I would pick Kakko as the better *on ice* prospect for the Coyotes.

Pancake for Kakko?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm still to be convinced by Huhges. Yes he is definitely exceptionally talented, especially as a skater, possibly a generational talent, but he is also soft with a so so shot.

In other words, the perfect lottery-win player to fit the Coyotes' disastrous karma.

Reactions: SniperHF

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
In other words, the perfect lottery-win player to fit the Coyotes' disastrous karma.

Yup, that's what I'm thinking... Hughes would be an extremely good fit for Vancouver who have Pettersson and bro-Hughes and so on, but for us...? We already struggle to get Keller, who is a similar player, going. Kakko can go over the top with puck-hogging, but he can also carry the puck himself and has a stronger all round game than Hughes. Kakko may not have quite the insane top end offensive ceiling as Hughes potentially has, but he also doesn't have the bust potential either and may not be that far from Hughes's top end if he pans out and gets rid of some wrinkles. Kakko may hang on to the puck too much, but Hughes can be a bit random with his passes.

To get Hughes to fit our team we would have to do a lot of changes to our forward lines, essentially build a new team around him. Much more retooling in other words. Kakko's style would lift our current roster as it is today. Hughes would be the pick if we start over in a new arena.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm still to be convinced by Huhges. Yes he is definitely exceptionally talented, especially as a skater, possibly a generational talent, but he is also soft with a so so shot. I am not sure his game translates to the NHL if he plays on a weak line. Is he that much better than Keller? I don't see him as a certain home run as say McDavid or MacKinnon. At this very early point, before I know more about the top prospects, hand on heart and ignoring the politics, I would pick Kakko as the better *on ice* prospect for the Coyotes.

Pancake for Kakko?

Hughes is a A + prospect. He’s easily the best player in the draft. He’s better than Keller.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Hughes is a A + prospect. He’s easily the best player in the draft. He’s better than Keller.

Yes he is better than Keller, but have you seen Keller's current form for us? Who is Hughes going to play with? Which players is he going to make better? Hughes is also 165 pounds. The Alexander Daigle comment is a bit too close to the mark for me. I could obviously be wrong and Jack plays a stellar WJC etc and blows all doubts out of my mind and if he does then all is good.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Hughes has elite explosiveness that Keller really lacks. Lets him create space that Keller simply can't do and it shows this year

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yes he is better than Keller, but have you seen Keller's current form for us? Who is Hughes going to play with? Which players is he going to make better? Hughes is also 165 pounds. The Alexander Daigle comment is a bit too close to the mark for me. I could obviously be wrong and Jack plays a stellar WJC etc and blows all doubts out of my mind and if he does then all is good.
Prepare dinner to be blown away at WJC. I don't mess around with draft opinions. Hughes is the real deal.

U draft the best talent. Hughes is that.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
with that said, we're never lucky enough to win #1 overall, so we'll never have to worry about it...and in this draft as long as we're in the top 10 we're going to get a great player if Chayka doesn't go Defense.

I really like Krebs and he should be available with our pick around 5/6/7

I'd also like for us to trade Goligoski+ to pick up another late 1st rounder to select Pelletier and then select Leason with our pick in 2nd round.

I'd drool over our 1st 3 picks:
Krebs
Pelletier
Leason

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Prepare dinner to be blown away at WJC. I don't mess around with draft opinions. Hughes is the real deal.

U draft the best talent. Hughes is that.

Ok, I haven't seen much of Hughes nor have I been blown away with what I have seen, so it's just my opinion at this point. Preparing to be blown away :nod:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Is it too early to the revisit the Tkachuk can't score and shouldn't be ranked at 2 discussion?

Must admit...didn't see this coming at all. He's been a revelation...the only other time he showed this type of production was in the WJC. Must admit I was wrong about him for sure...and it would be nice to have that type of body on the Yotes right now for sure. I think we would have taken Tkachuk over Hayton had he been available, so that is a bonus I guess.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
This is why Hughes would be amazing.

Hughes-Hayton-Gally
Keller-Dvo-Schmaltz

But cant complain with this
Keller-Hayton-Kakko
Gally-Dvo-Schmaltz

Assuming we dont trade all of our young guys before they develop that is.

Reactions: PuckLife

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Is it too early to the revisit the Tkachuk can't score and shouldn't be ranked at 2 discussion?

I'm pretty confident he was the pick. Chayka talks a lot about novel goals, Tkachuk would have given the Coyotes a mean net front presence that's sorely needed. Plus he can obviously play this year. The marketing and all that is just gravy. No brainer.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'm pretty confident he was the pick. Chayka talks a lot about novel goals, Tkachuk would have given the Coyotes a mean net front presence that's sorely needed. Plus he can obviously play this year. The marketing and all that is just gravy. No brainer.

Tkachuk would have been Bernhardt's pick, I feel. Chayka does seem to significantly factor in prospect age as a potential developmental advantage, so I think he would have gone with Hayton regardless.

Reactions: PuckLife
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad