2019 NHL Draft - June 21st - With The 14th Selection, The Coyotes.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I know they won't get Hughes. Even if they finish last they still won't get Hughes. When people suggest they have hope in getting Hughes I'll be in here crushing it, talking about how it's not going to happen. Still none of that will stop my mind from wondering and picturing Hughes in a Coyote uniform. sigh...being a Coyote fan is rough.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I know they won't get Hughes. Even if they finish last they still won't get Hughes. When people suggest they have hope in getting Hughes I'll be in here crushing it, talking about how it's not going to happen. Still none of that will stop my mind from wondering and picturing Hughes in a Coyote uniform. sigh...being a Coyote fan is rough.

I honestly don't know about Hughes on this soft team. I don't think he is as good as McDavid eg. Now of course Hughes can grow a lot still and add lethal finishing to his game, that would change things for me. But as it is now he would float about with Keller and the rest of the not-Center centers we have I fear. We don't even have a top sniper for Hughes to set up (don't point at Chucky here pls).

I don't think Hughes is the right player for this franchise even if we desperately need franchise level talent. We need a Barkov style player more, whereas Hughes would be a nice fit on a team like Colorado who already have a fantastic top line. In such a situation Jack would be free to grow into the NHL, but with this franchise he would be extremely exposed.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I honestly don't know about Hughes on this soft team. I don't think he is as good as McDavid eg. Now of course Hughes can grow a lot still and add lethal finishing to his game, that would change things for me. But as it is now he would float about with Keller and the rest of the not-Center centers we have I fear. We don't even have a top sniper for Hughes to set up (don't point at Chucky here pls).

I don't think Hughes is the right player for this franchise even if we desperately need franchise level talent. We need a Barkov style player more, whereas Hughes would be a nice fit on a team like Colorado who already have a fantastic top line. In such a situation Jack would be free to grow into the NHL, but with this franchise he would be extremely exposed.
McDavid is in a class by himself. That’s an unfair comparison. Think Pat lafontaine in his prime.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Just do what I do, expect we finish 3rd and get pushed to 5th. Turcotte looks like a beautiful choice for the "Coyotes Draft" 1st overall.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

A player that is elite at anything is right for this team.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
So if we can't draft Kaapo I think I've decided that attempting to get both Newhook and Caufield is the next best course of action.

There are other great players ranked ahead of them but but I see those two giving us a huge step in the right direction in 3 years.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Podkolzin ranked at 2 by Tedline. I think there is a signability issue though. Something to think about.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You know the best thing that can happen to this franchise in the long run is what’s happening now. Injuries that are costing us wins and improving our draft position.

I know the fans that pay for tickets or that fear relocation but at this point I’m just willing to accept that for things to get better they may have to get worst.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You know the best thing that can happen to this franchise in the long run is what’s happening now. Injuries that are costing us wins and improving our draft position.

I know the fans that pay for tickets or that fear relocation but at this point I’m just willing to accept that for things to get better they may have to get worst.
I have been hearing that for years. Time for results. The draft is a crap shoot , and who ever we select won't play for a few years anyway, as we all know we will never win the lottery.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I have been hearing that for years. Time for results. The draft is a crap shoot , and who ever we select won't play for a few years anyway, as we all know we will never win the lottery.
Without an arena deal or an owner willing to lose $30-$40 Miklion per year we have no other choice but to focus on draft and development. That’s reality. Nobody likes it.

I don’t like to voice this because it’s offensive to many but this team either needs an owner with deep pockets or they need to move to a city where they can attract one.

Last edited:

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

The only time for results will be after the proper foundation for results is laid. You can wish for results all you want but reality is the Coyotes have not built a proper team, which is done through the draft. As hbk says, the first change that needs to happen before any real results can be seen down the road is better ownership. Since we seem to be about to get new owners soon the time to tank and stock up is now.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Coufield is really starting to grow on me. Kid has a motor and a ton of skill. I really hope hes high on JC's radar and we can make a sensible move to get an extra 1st to grab him.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

You are absolutely underselling how skilled Hughes is.

Reactions: hbk

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
You are absolutely underselling how skilled Hughes is.

Well, I never said he is not skilled. I simply haven't seen the natural cutthroat finishing of Matthews or Kane, two players JH is compared to. I am not certain of his 200 foot game, nor am I certain he will dominate crossing the blue line in the NHL like he does in junior. If Hughes adds a Matthews like wrist shot to his arsenal then I'd have no problem with him. Also seeing him now in the pre-WJC games Hughes seems to have grown a fair bit so he isn't as lightweight/childlike anymore. I do think Pat LaFontaine, as hbk pointed out, is a far better comparison for Hughes than Matthews or Kane, and that is fair enough. I always liked Pat.

Kakko I see as Rantanen 2.0, almost as physically strong as Mikko, a bit better close around the net but not quite the same defensive game yet.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Podkolzin ranked at 2 by Tedline. I think there is a signability issue though. Something to think about.

Yes. Podkolzin is a natural talent but I do get a feeling he is an extra step away for being Russian. I doubt the Coyotes are interested in any potential hassle so for that reason we will avoid him, even if I have no doubt about his talent.

So Redline has:

1. Hughes
2. Podkolzin
3 & 4 Dach and Cozens (don't know the order)
5. Kakko

which is fair enough, but from what I've seen I still put Kakko above Dach and Cozens, although both of them are clear first line material (I like Cozens shot); I just think Kakko will be a beast down the line. Podkolzin I like but simply haven't seen enough to really intuit where he stands in the order.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Well, I never said he is not skilled. I simply haven't seen the natural cutthroat finishing of Matthews or Kane, two players JH is compared to. I am not certain of his 200 foot game, nor am I certain he will dominate crossing the blue line in the NHL like he does in junior. If Hughes adds a Matthews like wrist shot to his arsenal then I'd have no problem with him. Also seeing him now in the pre-WJC games Hughes seems to have grown a fair bit so he isn't as lightweight/childlike anymore. I do think Pat LaFontaine, as hbk pointed out, is a far better comparison for Hughes than Matthews or Kane, and that is fair enough. I always liked Pat.

Kakko I see as Rantanen 2.0, almost as physically strong as Mikko, a bit better close around the net but not quite the same defensive game yet.

That's a fair point, we need not only skill down the middle, but size and strength.

I am just over seeing people disregard JH because he isn't Matthews or McDavid. There probably won't be one of those two for a while and it doesn't mean the first overall somehow can't be a stud because he isn't one of those two.

I'd obviously be happy with either Kakko or Hughes, but I don't think I'd take Kakko over Hughes at number one. Maybe that changes, though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don’t mean to discount Hughes. I watched him at the U18s and he seems like a really good prospect. A bit of Keller and a bit of Barzal to him. Maybe a bit of Marner. Looks good. His shot isn’t great and he’s a shrimp. Pretty much everything else is top notch. I just don’t get putting a guy with a couple of big issues (shot and strength) up on the same level as guys with elite level EVERYTHING like Matthews.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I just don’t get putting a guy with a couple of big issues (shot and strength) up on the same level as guys with elite level EVERYTHING like Matthews.
I don't see anyone putting Hughes on the same level as Matthews. He's not there.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Even without trying this team has done a great job tanking. Just 2 weeks ago we were not that far out of a playoff spot. Once GMJC starts making some deadline moves we should have no trouble cracking the bottom three.

cFrCHI7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad